Enzo Maresca Thread

Frank Lampard pinpoints one key issue that could hold Chelsea back under Enzo Maresca

https://metro.co.uk/2024/09/02/frank-lampard-pinpoints-key-issue-may-hold-Chelsea-back-enzo-maresca-21529986/?ito=newsnow-feed

Frank Lampard fears Chelsea’s youthful squad could hold them back under new boss Enzo Maresca after they were held to a 1-1 draw by Crystal Palace on Sunday.

The Blues were at their scintillating best in a 6-0 win over Wolves last weekend but were brought back down to earth in midweek after a 2-1 loss to Servette in the Europa Conference League.

Another inconsistent display followed at Stamford Bridge on Sunday as Maresca’s side surged ahead through Nicolas Jackson but were pinned back and forced to settle for a point after Eberechi Eze’s second-half strike.

With a new manager and plenty of fresh signings still to blood into the team, Lampard urged caution from fans, insisting those factors and the squad’s youthful make-up will lead to inconsistent performances.

‘Inconsistency will be there – young players bring that,’ the former Chelsea midfielder said on Match of the Day 2.

‘If you look at moments in the game where Chelsea are on top, maybe they aren’t clinical enough and then you can always feel the game can swing on them.

‘You do wonder if that bit of experience through the spine of the team isn’t there and you’ll have to wait for that but there’s certainly a lot of talent in there.’

Despite that, however, Lampard remained optimistic in the direction of travel under Maresca and believes the club have turned a corner from the negative atmosphere that was all-encompassing during his ill-fated second stint in the dugout.

‘In terms of where they are at, Maresca mentioned today that they aren’t the same team that won the Champions League and he is right,’ Lampard added.

‘I was there 18 months ago and at that point, it was a really low point from my point of view because it didn’t feel like the club that it had been which was so successful for 20 years.

‘A lot of that was the environment and getting that right. I feel like they are on an upward curve but there will be good days and bad days because of the squad.

‘But there is a lot of talent and if they can keep improving, especially at the top end of the pitch, they can give teams a lot of problems.’

Chelsea will look to get back to winning ways after the international break when they travel down to the south coast to take on Bournemouth.

Trending 

• 2 weeks later...

Chelsea

• Official, confirmed. Nicolas Jackson signs a new deal at Chelsea valid until June 2033. “It feels great the club has confidence in me. I am working very hard. I am very happy to extend my contract and stay here for many years.”

• Enzo Maresca: “I really, really like Carney Chukwuemeka... but we have so many attacking midfielders. Unfortunately, we didn't find solutions in the summer. Now we can use him.”

• Maresca opens the doors to a Ben Chilwell return: “We will sit with him and find a solution. He is probably going to be back with us, we will see. At the moment, he is not training with us. The reason why he was training apart, is because the idea was for him to leave.”

• Enzo Maresca: “Reece James is not ready and he needs more time. Malo Gusto is also out. Romeo Lavia is very close, hopefully he is back for the next game.”

• Enzo Maresca: "Jadon Sancho, I am seeing him the way I expected to. It's a matter of finding the right moment to give him the chance."

• Enzo Maresca: “I don't consider Jadon Sancho a risk off the pitch. Whatever's happened with Erik ten Hag… I have no idea. I can only judge the player on the weeks he's been with us. He's been perfect.”

• Enzo Maresca: “The reason why Cole Palmer, Romeo Lavia, Wes Fofana are out of the Conference League squad is because we try to protect them. Cole is fit, he’s fine. We are happy with how he is.”

• Enzo Maresca: “I was in love with the squad and now I’m in love with the club. It’s one of the best clubs in the world and I’m happy with what we are doing.”

• David Datro Fofana leaves Chelsea to join Göztepe SK on loan until June 2025. Deal includes re-call clause for January.

• Chelsea star’s controversial stance should be respected says Fabrizio Romano.

• Si Phillips discusses the “hard facts” that William Gallas has spouted about the Chelsea owners.

Edited by Vesper