Chelsea 1 - 0 Brighton

ZAPHOD2319

3 hours ago, Thor said:

I just watched the extended highlights - obviously not watching the whole game my view could be distorted but:

- A lot of the highlights had our good/great chances starting with Mudryk. Was he really that poor like some suggest if he was the one creating clear cut chances again? I understand he cost a tonne, but at least he is impacting at this point, and he looks more confident. The consistency and rest of game will come. Also - a lot of the good chances actually came off the back of his defensive work to try and win the ball back, which prior I had been disappointed with. 

- Palmer looks silky. Has a poise to his game. Think he should be getting starts more often. 

- Can anyone comment on Maatsen? Didn't see him pop up much in the highlights aside from the goal involvement. 

- Was Jackson's second goal really offside? Looked on to me. 

- Broja one obviously onside. 

- I think we look more direct and quicker with Silva out... 

Maatsen handle the ball in tight spaces and made some good passes. Good composure, nothing that was highlight material, but helped keep possession. 

This is what should fire up Mudryk.

22 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Maatsen handle the ball in tight spaces and made some good passes. Good composure, nothing that was highlight material, but helped keep possession. 

Would add that Maatsen looked energetic at times, but once again, in and out of the game, which is totally an age thing.

On Mudryk, never seen lack of effort TBH
His game is a bit naive at times, and that can be improved with minutes, so I don't think getting a player out of him is impossible.

However, getting a top player might be; sorry, I just don't think he has the tools for it.

I'd add a big caveat that this was Carabao cup and played at home w/o VAR. Normally we'd be fielding a young team, that nowadays would pretty much have the same average age as our "senior team." 😁

8 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

And people say we are inpatient fanbase!!!

I hate it when rival fans label us as that because if anything we are the complete opposite when it comes to our players... we stand by them for a damn long time through some of the most hurrendosu patches of form.

Sanchez is a known hot head so it is not that surprising that he let the boos / playing against his old club work him into a bit of a state. His distribution was terrible but hopefully he learns from this from a mentality PoV as in other games he's not been anything like that so imo it was just they were in his head.

Honestly think he was a really good signing and feel so much more comfortable with him in goal than I have in years. He's played really well recently and wont let this one game in hard circumstances bother me. 

1 hour ago, DDA said:

And people say we are inpatient fanbase!!!

I hate it when rival fans label us as that because if anything we are the complete opposite when it comes to our players... we stand by them for a damn long time through some of the most hurrendosu patches of form.

I remember after a hattrick vs QPR Chelsea fans believing Torres was back

15 hours ago, JFKvsNixon said:

I really liked the intensity of Chelsea in the second half, with Cucurella and Mudryk committing themselves to the performance. Palmer was the best player on the pitch for me though, dare I say it, he looks like a younger Havertz? 

Would it be sacrilege to suggest that without Silva Chelsea could push up the pitch making it easier to press and maintain the intensity?

I also think Thiago should be benched gave away the ball for the goal we conceded in our last defeat. Age is finally catching up to him me thinks