18. Christopher Nkunku

James

Shame as he’s looked promising in pre-season. Bad luck.

Wouldn't say he’ll be washed up but typical OTT shit the bed “should of known this would happen prior to signing him” or whatever 😂

Pretty sure its not the same knee he injured in Germany. Although not 100% sure on that but was doing the rounds. But even then, injuries are unfortunately part and parcel of football here in the last few seasons. 

• 3 weeks later...

Nkunku is yet to play for Chelsea in a competitive sense following a knee injury in pre-season. Having undergone surgery, the French international is not expected to play until November at the earliest.

Potential return date: November 2023.

• 1 month later...

Christopher Nkunku injury update and when he's expected to return

Some interesting updates as Nkunku finally approaches a return soon

https://siphillipstalkschelsea.substack.com/p/sources-christopher-nkunku-injury

be2cd519-522b-4850-bd82-b7d97db4e8a5_192

Chelsea have suffered a lot of injuries in the last couple of seasons but perhaps the hardest one to take recently was the knee injury to Christopher Nkunku.

Our shiny new signing looked like the real deal in pre-season and like he would really be our talisman, that missing link that we craved.

But Nkunku is yet to competitively kick a ball in Chelsea blue after a tackle in pre-season, that should have been a penalty, saw him badly injure his knee.

He underwent surgery in August and the long road to recovery began.

So what is the latest on his recovery?

Well, I am told Nkunku has been spending time working on his recovery with experts in Paris. He has been strengthening the muscle around his knee in order to come back strong and give himself the best chance of getting back to where he was.

He has been switching his time between there and back in Cobham, where the medical team have been working with him also and overseeing his rehabilitation.

The experts in Paris are specifically for these type of injury recoveries, so Nkunku has been working hard with them. He’s also been doing normal regular gym work on a daily basis.

He will soon start doing some cardio work and light running. and I am told that there is hope he will make his Chelsea debut before 2024 arrives, but obviously that depends on how the rest of his recovery goes.

Chelsea will soon be setting him up with light training before introducing him back in to full team training.

They of course will be super careful and cautious as they look to reintroduce Nkunku to training and back into the squad.

But it’s sounding positive right now and the recovery is going well. We should soon be seeing him back in Chelsea training gear at the very least, and then in a matchday squad. Slowly but surely.

Simon Phillips

On 26/10/2023 at 21:01, Thor said:

I’m so sick of hearing the term perma wrecked on here. 

Have y’all played high level sport? You don’t just lose it after two consecutive injuries to the same area. He will be fine. 

I have not made that call yet on Nkunku at all

I am, however, damn near ready to on Fofana, he has one more serious injury and I am calling time on him

my record of calling a player perma-wrecked is damn near spotless

I do not trot it out lightly, but when I do, it's almost always correct

so no

I am not going to stop

Edited by Vesper

1 hour ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Who gets dropped though?

Depends of opposition I guess. Against some weak sides we should try Nkunku behind striker. But against best sides Nkunku as CF with 3 MFs as usual and Palmer and Mudryk/Sterling wingers.

I dont see Jackson as part of our best 11 right now.

On 26/10/2023 at 20:01, Thor said:

I’m so sick of hearing the term perma wrecked on here. 

Have y’all played high level sport? You don’t just lose it after two consecutive injuries to the same area. He will be fine. 

Seems to be the common theme on here.

Usually 1 or 2 major injuries and folk go OTT player X Y or Z are finished. Then they usually suggest signing players with genuine poor injury records.

Then they deny/change their minds having said X Y or Z are finished before same happens again and its rinse, repeat.

• 2 weeks later...