Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

2 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Silva, cannavaro, carvalho are rare breeds with insane anticipation and ability in the ball. Kounde relies on his athleticism more which will come up comparatively short in PL

also when there are tons of tall quality cbs on the market why spend a huge sums on the one dwarf. 

Never said I wanted us to sign him. Just that height isn’t much of a hindrance in my opinion. 

Koundé is very good on the ball and is extremely quick and athletic. May he be vulnerable on corners? Probably. But his other qualities make up for that shortcoming. Plus, we have plenty of tall players who are good in the air and a giant of a keeper.

1 hour ago, DDA said:

Koundes height isn't a massive issue. 

With that logic... Cannavaro and Carvalho would never have made it. 

he is nowhere near that level of talent

and Ricardo Carvalho was 8 cms taller than Cannavaro so not a valid comparison

Cannavaro never had to deal consistently with an EPL type of aerial game

Kounde will get beaten about in the air in today's EPL, bullied by the typical brute EPL striker

we are not buying him, I am going out on a limb and calling that

we are not spending £69m (80m euro release clause that Sevilla will not budge on) on Kounde

this is where I draw the line in terms of advocating a buy

I predict big trouble if we shit away that level of cash on him

the height difference between Carvalho and Kounde is the same as between Kounde and Diego Carlos (hardly a towering CB, he is the same height as I am am)

Kounde and Diego Carlos for Sevilla3c8faa052e14e0c1ad81cac693866472.jpg

the height difference between Kounde and Giroud (for instance)

is roughly the same as that between Verratti and his ex GF Cindy Bruna

or between Kounde and Rudiger, (who is 12cm taller than Kounde), if you subtract her heels

Marco Verratti and Cindy Bruna attending party to celebrate Cindy Bruna's  25th birthday organized by Five Eyes Production held at ''Lutetia Hotel" in  Paris, France on September 28, 2019. Photo by Jerome7f8bacdd85337eb213b579f75dda3612.png

https://sevillafc.es/en/teams/first-team/j-kounde

1b283a31be41e16e4026082ee123e6f9.png

Edited by Vesper

48 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Thiago Silva isn’t tall either and he’s had a stellar career. You don’t have to be a 6’5” monster to be a great CB.

Silva is 5 or 6 cms taller tha Kounde AND is one of the shortest regularly-playing CB's in the EPL

I never claimed you had to be 1.96m to be a great CB

but 18cm shorter than that is a big deal in the EPL

c4f5a58cb63887753f8f86ab91512b83.png5d7df55e5dbcea4fea75408845ecc5de.png0585b01022152ff4ee90d63cdc593c79.png2e70d63344eeed56128b46f2301d5fd1.png

329fe74d07c6b341de955fb002b9efaa.png

Edited by Vesper

4 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Silva is 5 or 6 cms taller tha Kounde AND is one of the shortest regularly-playing CB's in the EPL

I never claimed you had to be 1.96m to be a great CB

but 18cm shorter than that is a big deal in the EPL

c4f5a58cb63887753f8f86ab91512b83.png5d7df55e5dbcea4fea75408845ecc5de.png0585b01022152ff4ee90d63cdc593c79.png2e70d63344eeed56128b46f2301d5fd1.png

329fe74d07c6b341de955fb002b9efaa.png

Tuchel is developing a repetoire for playing short CBs, like Azpi and James. I think it's more likely we see Alonso at CB than Kounde though. He could be suitable for the RWB spot though. Probably better options out there though. 

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

Apples and oranges. Lewa is still best striker in the world. Would cost +100m and that would mean no Haaland. We are talking about Griezmann on loan for a year before Haaland gets available. 

If we want Haaland then it's the window, next season we won't stand a chance. With Mbappe moving to Real probably, PSG will jump onto Haaland and probably a fight with City as well. We will be only spectators like monkeys.

Edited by avrobsws

15 minutes ago, avrobsws said:

If we want Haaland then it's the window, next season we won't stand a chance. With Mbappe moving to Real probably, PSG will jump onto Haaland and probably a fight with City as well. We will be only spectators like monkeys.

If PSG wanted him/he wanted to go there they could just do it this season. Their owners wealth makes Roman look like a peasant. 

Koundé isn’t 5’5”, ffs. He’s not Kante sized like @Vesper is making him out to be. Yes he shorter than you’d want a top class CB to be but I don’t think it’s a dealbreaker. Again, not saying I want to sign him but if we did I wouldn’t be complaining because of his height.

Also, despite his lack of height he’s built like an absolute tank. I think he’d be just fine in the PL.

8 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Koundé isn’t 5’5”, ffs. He’s not Kante sized like @Vesper is making him out to be. Yes he shorter than you’d want a top class CB to be but I don’t think it’s a dealbreaker. Again, not saying I want to sign him but if we did I wouldn’t be complaining because of his height.

Also, despite his lack of height he’s built like an absolute tank. I think he’d be just fine in the PL.

the height difference between Kante and Kounde is less between Rudiger and Zouma (they are the same height) less than the difference between Alonso and Kounde, and the same as between AC and Kounde

Chilwell and Mount are the same height as Kounde, and Kovacic is only 1cm shorter than Kounde

Kurt Zouma High Resolution Stock Photography and Images - AlamyBeen amazing': Chilwell says Chelsea teammate has been 'class' since Tuchel  arrived - The Chelsea ChronicleFantasy Premier League on Twitter: "The defenders leading the way 💪 67 -  Kurt Zouma 58 - Ben Chilwell 52 - Reece James, Jannik Vestergaard 51 - Andy  Robertson #FPL… https://t.co/t1jU93QWmq"

Reece James is 4 cm taller than Kounde

Thomas Tuchel offers Antonio Rudiger and Mateo Kovacic injury updates ahead  of Real Madrid tie - Sports Illustrated Chelsea FC News, Analysis and More

we are not buying Kounde so I am done here

I only was pushing back against the notion that he is not short, and too short for a top class CB in the EPL IMHO

He is only 1cm taller than Kovacic ffs. Would people pushing back on me feel comfortable with Kova as a CB in the air?

we are not going to drop £69m on him

that would be the 3rd most ever spent on a CB or any defender in football history

£9m less than Slabhead, £7m less than VVD

and in a market decimated by COVID, where quality players are going for pennies on the pound

ain't happening

sorry

Edited by Vesper

I can totally see us not making any marquee signing at all. Just backup goalie probably hennessy, maybe pedraza if we manage to shed Emerson and Alonso and maybe a cb or dm and call it a day. We preponed our spending last summer. I can also imagine TT transforming one from the deadwood into a usable squad option. 

Btw SSN Germany transfer update was focused on us today. Apparently we evaluated  all kinds of swap deals for haaland all for naught 

Ziyech and Timo are in our plans but we would listen to soziables offers .

lukaku and Chiesa rumours rubbished 

3 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Btw SSN Germany transfer update was focused on us today. Apparently we evaluated  all kinds of swap deals for haaland all for naught 

lukaku and Chiesa rumours rubbished 

Would love to see @Jas reaction if we offered Werner + cash for Haaland and Dortmund accepted. 

I barely watched Kounde so I am not going to say anything about his abilities. But speaking about height, in 3 atb, one CB being shorter is less of a issue.

Walker just played it for England and he is 178cm. Azpi the same. Reece just a bit taller. D Ambrosio played regularly for Conte and he is 180cm. In 3atb, one CB being shorter and with pace is almost advisable.

It would be a issue with regular formation but even there you have example of Barca dominating Euro footy with Mascherano 174cm and Puyol 178cm.

Kounde as RCB with Chris in the middle and Rudi LCB would not be a issue at all.

10 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Where's the sense in wanting to sell 2 strikers and buying only 1?

6 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Would love to see @Jas reaction if we offered Werner + cash for Haaland and Dortmund accepted. 

There's probably an alternate timeline for that scenario...