Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

I guess I just don’t understand where Calafiori fits in the squad currently. He’s the level of CB in terms of both talent and money spent that should slot straight into your first XI. But we have Colwill there as well as Badiashile on the left. 

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

I guess I just don’t understand where Calafiori fits in the squad currently. He’s the level of CB in terms of both talent and money spent that should slot straight into your first XI. But we have Colwill there as well as Badiashile on the left. 

Would think Calafiori is ahead of both of them at the moment. 

Colwill's injuries and lack of continuity last season didn't help his development as I expected him to kick on from his loan at Brighton. 

3 hours ago, Strike said:

Can't keep buying up CBs every summer

2022- Koulibaly, Fofana

2023 - Badiashile, Disasi

All while having Colwill, Chalobah on the books. 

If Fofana was fit, we wouldn't be buying CB's.....and Chalobah's been linked to moves for the past few summers but no-one seems that interested. 

To think at one point, we had Rudiger/Christensen/Tomori and even Guehi was on the books (might have been on loan in Championship).  Fast forward 2-3 years, they are all gone and we have CB's who aren't really better than any of them.  

13 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Would think Calafiori is ahead of both of them at the moment. 

Colwill's injuries and lack of continuity last season didn't help his development as I expected him to kick on from his loan at Brighton. 

And he’s never going to get that continuity and development if we buy someone around his age and level. 

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

And Clearlake's told Bayern to back off from making an offer for Colwill, gave him a long contract. I think Calafiori will be overkill. 

1 minute ago, Strike said:

And Clearlake's told Bayern to back off from making an offer for Colwill, gave him a long contract. I think Calafiori will be overkill. 

Exactly. We fought to keep him, adamantly rejected advances from not just Bayern but remember also Liverpool were sniffing around him. Plus Brighton wanting him back. We had to really convince him and reassure him of his prominent role or he otherwise would’ve asked to leave. To now go out and basically replace him with Calafiori would be detrimental to Levi’s development.

If Badiashile wasn’t here and we had just Colwill & Calafiori pushing each other that would be one thing. But 3 LCB’s is indeed overkill because one of them would never se the pitch.

20 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Exactly. We fought to keep him, adamantly rejected advances from not just Bayern but remember also Liverpool were sniffing around him. Plus Brighton wanting him back. We had to really convince him and reassure him of his prominent role or he otherwise would’ve asked to leave. To now go out and basically replace him with Calafiori would be detrimental to Levi’s development.

If Badiashile wasn’t here and we had just Colwill & Calafiori pushing each other that would be one thing. But 3 LCB’s is indeed overkill because one of them would never se the pitch.

I also think a few things need to happen at CB, however I do not think it is as impossible as people suggest. Here is what needs to be considered: 

1) We potentially have 70-80 games next season so the squad is going to have to be larger than normal. I would expect 5 CB's at a minimum if we play a back 4. 

Let look at the CB's:.

1) Trev. I personally think it is madness to sell him but it appears we love nothing more than FFP money. I suspect he is gone, although it may be a buy with compulsion to sign for the next financial cycle. 

2) Disaster. This guy under no circumstances should be here next season. If he is it should be in the capacity of CB6. Unlike some of the others he is already 25/26 and is pretty much a known quantity. So, sell, loan or make him the CB6 we never see. 

3) Colwill. I reckon he starts as LCB1 and keeps that position. 

4) Tosin. I am not sure what to make of this guy. I haven't seen him enough and have seen the reviews that have been positive. However, my Fulham mate says he is essentially Disaster level at defending but is a good passer. For me I think he is either RCB1 or in the CB3-5 range depending on Fofana. 

5) Fofana. Where is this kid in terms of development and fitness? He could be anything from a busted flush to RCB1. I don't think we'll know until after pre-season. If he is completely short of match fitness, and it looks like he may need months to get it. Is there a chance of a loan to aide recovery? So many questions with him. 

6) Badman. I think he will prove people wrong and improve massively next season. I reckon he stays but he could end up CB5 as I am thinking he is the left footed player who can play right and left. 

So, whilst we currently have 6 CB's, I think it is really 5 with Trev almost certain to leave. After that we have Disaster who should not be here next season if talent is a requirement and Fofana who may be in no shape to play. 

Of course at that point, you would think a right footed CB would be required. However, the Italian kid is looking like value for money (I haven't seen enough to know if this is true) and helps with the LB situation. 

I don't think it is impossible, even if it is not likely. 

Edited by King Kante

On 29/06/2024 at 22:55, Vesper said:

Khéphren Thuram
Youssouf Fofana
Pablo Barrios
Manu Koné
Edoardo Bove

7c0c7e4b9564562e29b0c41a6e616274.png

download.jpg

I have to say all of them except Bove seem to be better than KDH.

+ Khephren Thuram contract expires in 25. Reports he is going to Juve for 12.75m pounds. Same for Youssof Fofana - contract expires in 25 and is valued at 21m pounds. 

12 minutes ago, DH1988 said:

Let Bada go to Milan if they are still interested and get shot of Col if someone is going to give us £70m or the like. 

Big mistake to think of giving up on Colwill. After James, he's the best academy product we've had - better than Guehi, Tomori who have become serviceable defenders. 

Much like the left winger situation, I think it’s perhaps best that we wait until next summer to go for another CB. If Sterling & Mudryk have poor seasons again than they can be shifted. Likewise, if Badiashile & Disasi don’t improve and Fofana still can’t stay fit then we can go big for a top CB.

Buying more players in positions were loaded in right now is just ill advised I think. 

Striker and maybe a right winger feel like they should be our priorities for the rest of this window. Not LW or LCB.

47 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

I hope he got a relegation clause.

And if he does have one I hope he's going to need it. 🙂

(Just joking, Spurs games matter too much to me. I would miss those games if Spurs got relegated. 17th every year for Spurs would suit me just fine )

5 hours ago, Pizy said:

LB, which in the system (we think) Maresca will play is effectively LCB in a back three.