Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

When we bought Strasbourg I figured the plan was to uncover inexpensive gems and develop them there with an eye to turn those inexpensive gems into Chelsea players, thus saving us money. I did NOT expect us to spend £20m+ sums for loan players. That’s the kind of money that small PL teams spend for their marquee signings!

Just now, Gundalf said:

Cmon, u never heard of him (just like me). So we cant judge yet.

I bet a lot of people would have cried about us signing Caicedo from Ecuador 2 years ago. 

I’m just predicting 

14 minutes ago, Gundalf said:

Some journo on Twitter claiming this guy was Brightons replacement for Caicedo that De Zerbi mentioned 😂

Not sure if trolling but it would be too funny if true 🤣

If true then we don’t get Caicedo. 

On 25/07/2023 at 12:03, Reddish-Blue said:

If we're keen on a 2nd midfielder, we should be looking for someone with experience like what United did with Casemiro/Eriksen. 

I just don't see it, Onana looks a decent player but he won't be "lifting" any top 6 midfield to the next level at this stage of his career.   Probably the reason why none of the top 6 are actually after him (that will probably change in 2-3 seasons time if he continues to develop and become a game changer for Everton). 

Compare that to Lavia where pretty much everyone is keen on him but everything has gone quiet since the Liverpool links started to appear. 

8 minutes ago, lucio said:

Probably 1/3 as good 

Am I really the only one who just doesn't see all the hype with Lavia? I mean for an 18-19yo player he's been very decent but based on what I saw from him at Southampton he's miles off from being the finished article and comes with some glaring weaknesses too. 

I for one wouldn't be comfortable us getting Lavia as our key midfield signing, just as I wouldn't be comfortable with this new French guy either. As squad options sure, but as key players no.

Sending the Frenchie to Strasbourg for the season to play under his idol Patrick Vieira should be a good move. Let's see how he develops.

Just watched video of him. Looks like almost a carbon copy of Everton’s Onana. Super tall yet very athletic and mobile DM who loves a crunching slide tackle. Does indeed look like someone who could become interesting with some more refinement but not someone who is ready to step into the Chelsea team.

5 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Just watched video of him. Looks like almost a carbon copy of Everton’s Onana. Super tall yet very athletic and mobile DM who loves a crunching slide tackle. Does indeed look like someone who could become interesting with some more refinement but not someone who is ready to step into the Chelsea team.

I thought exactly the same thing. He is identical to Onana but alot cheaper as I think Everton were quoting him at 50m.

2 minutes ago, Artandur said:

How many young midfielders do we need. There is no clear pathway for any of em anymore

Tbf, this kid at least is a completely different profile than any of the other youngsters we’ve bought.