Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

Just now, ZaynChelsea said:

Chelsea open talks with Sancho

Various German and English papers today reporting Chelsea are in pole position concerning Sancho.

Sancho is a childhood Chelsea-fan, London guy and once named Drogba and Lampard as his all-time favourites.
Chelsea and Sancho is a match made in heaven. Absolutely buzzing.

They basically quoted France Football...

I really do not see why people are not so hot on Werner here. Of course he is a 2nd CF/No.11 and yes he is not Haaland when it comes to finishing. However, he conversion rate is still decent, he is a very hard working player, he is still only 23 and has shown he has the desire to improve season by season and he has a decent buyout for the market. I really do not see how he would not be a great signing for any of the top teams in England unless he does not adapt which is an issue that can cause problems for any signing from aboard. 

36 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Alaba again came out and said he sees himself playing elsewhere. 27 and in his prime, wouldnt cost too much eiher. If we can entice him he would be an awesome buy.

Isn't he almost 28 by the Summer? Also, he would still cost north of £50m. I cannot see the club dropping that plus £150k+ a week wages on a RB who relies on pace. Obviously, I would rather him to Chilwell but when trying to look at how the club operates, I just do not see him a viable. My money on LB's the club are following are: 

Chilwell - Young and English so the club will pay the tax this inccurs.

Telles - One year left this Summer. Cheap.

Gosens - Although having a great season, is not a fashionable type of player so probably can still be had for £35m'ish. Pasalic can also be used as a makeweight.  

14 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Isn't he almost 28 by the Summer? Also, he would still cost north of £50m. I cannot see the club dropping that plus £150k+ a week wages on a RB who relies on pace. Obviously, I would rather him to Chilwell but when trying to look at how the club operates, I just do not see him a viable. My money on LB's the club are following are: 

Gosens - Although having a great season, is not a fashionable type of player so probably can still be had for £35m'ish. Pasalic can also be used as a makeweight.  

Alaba only has a year left on his contract too, so he probably wouldn't be that expensive. 30-40 mil would do the trick if I had to guess.

He's been at Bayern for so long and achieved everything possible at the club that it would be kinda cuntish from them to prevent him from leaving for a somewhat reasonable fee if that's what he wants.

If Alaba was open to the move and Bayern willing to sell, he'd definitely be my first choice pick for a new LB. Really classy player and still around 3-4 years of top level football left in him. Would also provide valuable experience and winning mentality to the young squad.

Telles is the same age as Alaba and not near as good. Still my second choice tho, much better value for money than someone like Chillwell. 

40 minutes ago, Styl1994 said:

If we do buy Sancho we would to save on a left back and Striker 

we could get Telles for 20-25m 

Then for Striker you could get one of 

Edouard 

Morelos 

Malen 

Watkins 

For 35m or under.

I still think next year is a year too early for a title challenge so if we have to take some short term hits to secure Sancho then fuck it.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I still think next year is a year too early for a title challenge so if we have to take some short term hits to secure Sancho then fuck it.

That is very un-Tomo of you.

Why does it have to be about too early to challenge for the title? Even if we don't get close to Liverpool (or Man City for that matter) next season, it's still vital that we show progression, that we can cement ourselves as the one of the best 3 teams in the England, that we don't get involved in another scrap for the Top 4. What's the point if we bomb our budget on Sancho, don't have enough money to fix our problems (e.g. ST, LB, GK) and still be inconsistent next year? Sancho isn't going to solve those problems. Yes, he will provide assists and goals here and there but our main issue this season have been converting chances and giving stupid goals away. I get that Sancho is wow and all but I don't get why people want us to be like Arsenal - spend big money (probably 3/4 of our budget) on someone we don't necessarily need right now (especially after signing Ziyech) rather than spend the money on players that will help address the problems in the squad. 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

That is very un-Tomo of you.

Why does it have to be about too early to challenge for the title? Even if we don't get close to Liverpool (or Man City for that matter) next season, it's still vital that we show progression, that we can cement ourselves as the one of the best 3 teams in the England, that we don't get involved in another scrap for the Top 4. What's the point if we bomb our budget on Sancho, don't have enough money to fix our problems (e.g. ST, LB, GK) and still be inconsistent next year? Sancho isn't going to solve those problems. Yes, he will provide assists and goals here and there but our main issue this season have been converting chances and giving stupid goals away. I get that Sancho is wow and all but I don't get why people want us to be like Arsenal - spend big money (probably 3/4 of our budget) on someone we don't necessarily need right now (especially after signing Ziyech) rather than spend the money on players that will help address the problems in the squad. 

Because Sancho is a generational talent, he's not with us he'd be at a rival for the next 12 years. Its basically a Rooney 2004 situation all over again.

Re the title i still think the core of our team will still be that little bit too young, as shown this season there's still a bit to learn from them and the manager, I personally think going from what we're seeing this season to challenging Liverpool and City is too big a jump in one go.

However I don't disagree signs of progression will need to be shown, but that will be judged (atleast by me) based on what's being seen tactically rather than who is or isn't signed.

1 hour ago, Styl1994 said:

If we do buy Sancho we would to save on a left back and Striker 

we could get Telles for 20-25m 

Then for Striker you could get one of 

Edouard 

Morelos 

Malen 

Watkins 

For 35m or under.

If we can't get Werner or Martinez then Edouard would be my top choice ahead of Dembele, Osimhen, Malen, Boadu, and Morelos.  .

7 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Because Sancho is a generational talent, he's not with us he'd be at a rival for the next 12 years. Its basically a Rooney 2004 situation all over again.

That's overstating it. This is no Hazard situation, IMO. And so what if Sancho goes to a rival? It might be painful for some to take it but he's not the only good player out there. 

9 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Re the title i still think the core of our team will still be that little bit too young, as shown this season there's still a bit to learn from them and the manager, I personally think going from what we're seeing this season to challenging Liverpool and City is too big a jump in one go.

I don't necessarily disagree but you never know with Liverpool. City went on their ridiculous consistency for 2 seasons straight and they have fallen off a cliff this season. May well happen with Liverpool next season.

Plus, it's also about setting up the foundation for the title challenge, whether it's a year early or not.

11 minutes ago, Tomo said:

However I don't disagree signs of progression will need to be shown, but that will be judged (atleast by me) based on what's being seen tactically rather than who is or isn't signed.

If we don't sign a ST, LB, GK and even CB this summer, then I'm pretty sure we would be sitting here and complaining about the same things we have been complaining next season. Tactics can only hide the weaknesses of average players for so long. 

50 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Alaba will only make us much better, simply far better than what we have and has experience.....I doubt he would go for 50m unless there is a bidding war. Forget Chilwell, too expensive for the quality. Much rather Telles than him.

21 minutes ago, Jason said:

Either that is what Alaba really wants or he's saying that to get a bigger money contract from Bayern. 

Hey one can never know, I think he has had enough in BL, does not mean he will come here but it sure could be plausible if we are serious about him.

https://sempremilan.com/cm-man-utd-and-chelsea-ready-to-rival-real-madrid-for-signing-of-e50m-milan-star

Premier League duo Chelsea and Manchester United are in the running to sign goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma from AC Milan, a report claims.

https://foxesofleicester.com/2020/02/16/reports-chelsea-getting-closer-signing-leicester-city-ben-chilwell/

Chelsea are reportedly getting closer to signing Leicester City left-back Ben Chilwell

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/02/16/report-chelsea-want-everton-player-36m-needed/

Everton star Lucas Digne is reportedly on Chelsea and Manchester City’s radar.

29 minutes ago, Jype said:

Alaba only has a year left on his contract too, so he probably wouldn't be that expensive. 30-40 mil would do the trick if I had to guess.

He's been at Bayern for so long and achieved everything possible at the club that it would be kinda cuntish from them to prevent him from leaving for a somewhat reasonable fee if that's what he wants.

If Alaba was open to the move and Bayern willing to sell, he'd definitely be my first choice pick for a new LB. Really classy player and still around 3-4 years of top level football left in him. Would also provide valuable experience and winning mentality to the young squad.

Telles is the same age as Alaba and not near as good. Still my second choice tho, much better value for money than someone like Chillwell. 

Fairs. If he could be had for a decent fee then he would be great. 

As for Sancho, I do not really get how signing him does means that we cannot sign the other players we need. By all accounts we made £174m last year plus we have CL money from this season. Further to this we also have a number of players that can raise us decent money when combined: Pasalic - £12m, Zouma - £30m, Alonso/Emerson - £20m, Bats - £25m, Barkley - £20m, Baka - £25m. That is also before we even get to players like Jorgi and Kante who have question marks over them and the Pedros/Girouds/Willians who will save us serious dollar on wages when they leave. 

For me Sancho is possible unless we do something insane like buy Chilwell for £65m+. I say this as I think it is safe to assume we have about £150m to play with plus a further potential £80-100m from sales of the deadwood. 

At this moment in time, only £34m of that £250m has been used. That leaves us with £220m to play with at least. The club just need to be smart in regards to who they buy. I think most agree that atm, the most vital positions are: LB, CF, AM, CB, CM and GK. However, GK could be covered next season by a cheaper older keeper such as Handanovic in order to try and see if Kepa can do something, LB has options such as Telles, Gosens and, apprantly, Alaba who would not cost more than £40m and in Telles' case probably under £30m. That would then leave us with something like £180m for; CB, AM, CF, CM. However, any CM can be covered by the sale of a Kante or Jorgi so that is really £180m for a CB, AM, CF. That for me, means that Sancho is possible, without us thinking that we cannot build the squad if we do buy him. 

12 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I agree.

Not all problems in the squad are going to get solved in one window no matter who gets brought in, but signing a world class talent like Sancho would go a long way towards taking that next step and being ready to challenge for titles later on.

Sancho now has got to be at least close to what Mbappe was in 2017. Or Hazard in 2012. Anyone who doesn't get him will end up regretting it, and if he goes to a PL rival then even more so.

Signing a reasonably priced left-back like Telles (or Alaba if obtainable) wouldn't be dependent on whether tons of money is spent on Sancho or not. It would probably rule out pursuing Chillwell, but he's not a better option either way and only costs a shit ton because he's English so that's a pass from me. 

Creativity from central midfield has been a problem, but if the AM / winger departments were to be greatly improved with the likes of Ziyech and Sancho then I wouldn't mind sticking with the current setup of midfielders for now. Central defence is okey for another season as well, and not a priority area for improvement in the short term. Obviously the current bunch aren't good enough to win the title with, but if that's not really the target for next season anyway then I don't see a problem there and it can be strengthened in future transfer windows.

Call me crazy but I wouldn't stress over the GK area either. Kepa has not been good but still deserves another go as #1. A new backup keeper is needed, but there are usually some decent ones available on a free.

So that leaves only the striker department left, and that needs addressing in the summer. Not a lot of top, top quality available there at the moment and with Tammy doing reasonably well I'm guessing the plan is to just get someone who's a clear improvement over Michy and Giroud, which probably isn't all that difficult. Spend anywhere between 30-50m here on someone who's a good fit for the type of football Lampard is trying to play and we're good.

Sancho 120m

Ziyech 35m

Left-back 30m

Striker 50m

That's around 235m of transfer spend. If the budget is set at the 150m + sales as told to us by some journos, then this should be doable. Selling Batshuayi, Barkley and Alonso/Emerson along with a bunch of loanees should cover the 85m difference easy. 

51 minutes ago, Jason said:

Either that is what Alaba really wants or he's saying that to get a bigger money contract from Bayern. 

Bayern has Alphonso Davis. 

Alaba played as CB because their CBs injured.

Alaba doesn't want to be a benchwarmer. He wants to go.

14 minutes ago, Jype said:

I agree.

Not all problems in the squad are going to get solved in one window no matter who gets brought in, but signing a world class talent like Sancho would go a long way towards taking that next step and being ready to challenge for titles later on.

Sancho now has got to be at least close to what Mbappe was in 2017. Or Hazard in 2012. Anyone who doesn't get him will end up regretting it, and if he goes to a PL rival then even more so.

Signing a reasonably priced left-back like Telles (or Alaba if obtainable) wouldn't be dependent on whether tons of money is spent on Sancho or not. It would probably rule out pursuing Chillwell, but he's not a better option either way and only costs a shit ton because he's English so that's a pass from me. 

Creativity from central midfield has been a problem, but if the AM / winger departments were to be greatly improved with the likes of Ziyech and Sancho then I wouldn't mind sticking with the current setup of midfielders for now. Central defence is okey for another season as well, and not a priority area for improvement in the short term. Obviously the current bunch aren't good enough to win the title with, but if that's not really the target for next season anyway then I don't see a problem there and it can be strengthened in future transfer windows.

Call me crazy but I wouldn't stress over the GK area either. Kepa has not been good but still deserves another go as #1. A new backup keeper is needed, but there are usually some decent ones available on a free.

So that leaves only the striker department left, and that needs addressing in the summer. Not a lot of top, top quality available there at the moment and with Tammy doing reasonably well I'm guessing the plan is to just get someone who's a clear improvement over Michy and Giroud, which probably isn't all that difficult. Spend anywhere between 30-50m here on someone who's a good fit for the type of football Lampard is trying to play and we're good.

Sancho 120m

Ziyech 35m

Left-back 30m

Striker 50m

That's around 235m of transfer spend. If the budget is set at the 150m + sales as told to us by some journos, then this should be doable. Selling Batshuayi, Barkley and Alonso/Emerson along with a bunch of loanees should cover the 85m difference easy. 

Plus the maximum amount to price Sancho away wont exceed 100m...and then Ziyech is 30m with add ons to be closer to 38m in foreseeable future...Clubs can develop interest in any of Zouma or Christensen(Barca according to reports) we can toss either of the two and buy Ruben Dias..lots of smart and intelligent decisions the board needs to make and it wont affect striker and left back buy...