Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

1 hour ago, mkh said:

Maresca will assess Veiga in pre-season and judge whether he is first-team ready or requires a loan spell to aid his development.

~ @liam_twomey

Why buy him when there's already Lesley, Santos, Casadei who are DMs waiting to be assessed?

Understand Chelsea have appointed Achirou Gaoh and Seyi Olofinjana to oversee operations in Africa.

Chelsea want to cover Africa in best way possible with scouting and appointments are now completed.

(Fabrizio Romano)

7 minutes ago, Strike said:

Why buy him when there's already Lesley, Santos, Casadei who are DMs waiting to be assessed?

The transfer came out of nowhere according to Basler fans Veiga stagnated this season!!!

1 minute ago, mkh said:

The transfer came out of nowhere according to Basler fans Veiga stagnated this season!!!

I'm all for adding a few players in their prime to round out the squad we have. Can't afford another season where we stagnate, are inconsistent because we are playing young players all over the pitch. 

1 hour ago, mkh said:

That’s also what I heard. He was pretty meh all season which is weird cos we tend to buy these youngsters on form usually. Real head scratcher this one. But I doubt he was bought as midfielder, rather as CB/LB cover 

6 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

A market that has so much potential. Let's hope we take full advantage of that.

Good excuse to show this.

Arsenal of that era summed up in seconds.

4 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

A market that has so much potential. Let's hope we take full advantage of that.

Afcon puts me off abit.more specifically the fact teams lose players for a month or more during the season.but should scout globally rather than just 3 south american countries.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Duppy Conqueror said:

Afcon puts me off abit.more specifically the fact teams lose players for a month or more during the season.but should scout globally rather than just 3 south american countries.

They have had discussions to move it multiple times, but FIFA keep doing everything in their power to prevent that from happening - Afcon 2025: Finals set for December 2025 and January 2026 in Morocco - BBC Sport

Edited by LAM09

2 hours ago, Strike said:

Could be that Maresca wants to assess him at the other positions he appears to be able to play.

Presumably after assessing if his birth certificate is legit.

I don’t think this kid from Basel is being thought of at all as a pure midfielder who competes with Lavia/Ugo/Santos etc. 

I think he’s 100% being brought in as a direct fallback option to the role Calafiori would’ve played. Inverted LB/LCB.

7 hours ago, Strike said:

Arsenal are getting a serious upgrade. We are experimenting with another 20 year old. 

I'm wondering whether we can't pay that sort of fee due to PSR/FFP concerns.   The only real sale we've completed is Maatsen and even then we wasted 19 million on Kellyman.   I was expecting Broja and Gallagher to be sold to help fund a solid CB. 

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

I don’t think this kid from Basel is being thought of at all as a pure midfielder who competes with Lavia/Ugo/Santos etc. 

I think he’s 100% being brought in as a direct fallback option to the role Calafiori would’ve played. Inverted LB/LCB.

Calafiori would have been a guaranteed starter, this kid will either be on the bench or go on loan somewhere for 1-2 seasons.   That's not a fall back option.  😆

6 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

I'm wondering whether we can't pay that sort of fee due to PSR/FFP concerns.   The only real sale we've completed is Maatsen and even then we wasted 19 million on Kellyman.   I was expecting Broja and Gallagher to be sold to help fund a solid CB. 

Pretty sure mount money fell under this PSR as well

26 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Calafiori would have been a guaranteed starter, this kid will either be on the bench or go on loan somewhere for 1-2 seasons.   That's not a fall back option.  😆

Calafiori was not going to be a guaranteed starter imo. Seems a lot of people here have just completely written off Colwill and want to replace him already. Or were you thinking he was going to be our starting LB replacing Cucu? Even that was far from guaranteed with the way Cucu has been playing.

Fabrizio has given every indication that this kid will the the “versatile left footed defender” that we’ve wanted. Doesn’t seem like he’ll be one for the loan army.