Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

3 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Why is Newcastle not paying for Hall?

Maybe they're waiting for the end of this period of FFP (or whatever it's called)? I think it's June 30th.

5 hours ago, LAM09 said:

I just don't understand what goes through their minds. We have supposedly made a third bid for Omorodion for over £42m, but comments like that are coming out. Does it all come down to wages at this point or what?

If so, how on EARTH are they not doing everything in their power to get Sterling out of the door?

In particular I don’t get how paying way above market value for hyped up youngsters that have proven nothing so far over established players at peak value is supposed to be some superior strategy.  Value for money the latter is still way better. We still pay career peak prices for players that just let go down in value afterwards. If we would pick up these young players on the cheap fair enough, nice underdog strategy but we essentially are just throwing money at random youths. 
this “duran or some academy player” is especially ridiculous. Apparently it does not matter who the player is, just has to be young. 

On 19/06/2024 at 15:03, Special Juan said:

Still cannot believe we are selling Maatsen but yet scratching around for another LB, I'd play over Cinderella

The price is great, and he is uspect defensive

CuCu has been playing great for months now

I think we need to settle it about Chilwell and injuries

if we think he is just always going to be hurt, then the best affordable LB options are

Rayan Aït-Nouri 
Miguel Gutiérrez  
Antonee Robinson 
Milos Kerkez 
Jayden Oosterwolde
Bradley Locko

Nico Williams. 

Player with a loose carry, poor vision and passing who likes to flick ball past his opponents and run onto it. 

Nooooo thanks. 

4 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

In particular I don’t get how paying way above market value for hyped up youngsters that have proven nothing so far over established players at peak value is supposed to be some superior strategy.  Value for money the latter is still way better. We still pay career peak prices for players that just let go down in value afterwards. If we would pick up these young players on the cheap fair enough, nice underdog strategy but we essentially are just throwing money at random youths. 
this “duran or some academy player” is especially ridiculous. Apparently it does not matter who the player is, just has to be young. 

Just like Emenalo did during his time. We bought some of the best young talent at reasonable prices; we don't need to talk about what transpired after that. It isn't smart business when we're talking about record fees for teenagers who could potentially turn out to be busts. As of right now, Paez seems like the one piece of smart business, even at his tender age. 

I recently read quotes from Ratcliffe talking about using RM as an example, and I wouldn't be surprised if our owners weren't thinking something similar; however, RM has a core of experience pros to gel things together. If we were to finally get rid of Sterling, Chilwell (27) would be our oldest outfield player. 

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Average players can be MOTM. 

Exactly. IMO Cucu should have been MOTM which reiterates your point further. 6 interceptions, 10/12 tackles won, 100% passing, so picking him over Grimaldo has been vindicated. Him being our starting LB next season becomes more likely which means we won’t be in for a new LB which might be a mistake. I am no big fan of either Cucu or Maatsen  but they do complement  each other well and are less injury prone than chilly. Chilly/Cucu as witnessed the past few seasons is no such durable combination as it will result in Cucu being overplayed thanks to chilly injuries 

Just as Chilly only looked competent as a wingback when we played 3 ATB (even then imho he was overrated a bit), Cucu only looked competent when used as a fullback that tucks into midfield. Very different players with very different specialities and play styles. I don't really see Chilwell having a future with us and it is not really clear where he can have a future because who is playing 3 ATB with wingbacks these days? He is imo a poor LB and an atrocious LW, as he can't play or receive under pressure and he does not have the pace, acceleration, skill or intelligence to defend or attack effectively 1v1. He was only good when playing a very specific role that was sort of between the two where he could be a spare man with time and space on the ball, similar to Alonso when we had him, where defensive weakness was covered and both had good enough left foots they could be dangerous if allowed to pop up unmarked.

Cucu I think genuinely can have a decent future with us, Chilly I don't know what he can do now, his career basically feels finished to me in England, maybe he could have a good run playing in Italy and still have a bit of a career.