Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

2 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

Another load of good money in the account is how I see it

How much are we really going to get for him if we are broadcasting he is for sale? Maybe £40m? Still will be good in the FFP books, but I was expecting him to stay at this point - he has done alright in preseason, albeit filling a hole in CM that shouldn't exist. Have no doubt he will have a good PL career, was just never clear if he is at the calibre we need if we want to win titles again.

Gallagher is not Chelsea quality so I’d be good seeing him go for a nice hefty fee. He’s not good enough from a technical standpoint and he’s got that Ross Barkley sort of football brain where his decision making is slow.

He’s someone who will always do well for traditionally midtable level sides but isn’t good enough for a massive club. 

14 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

You mean the same Sterling who has been capped 80+ times by England?    

If Sterling was still in his prime (like when he was getting 15+ PL goals a season for City), he'd be a definite pick in the English squad.   Don't see Grealish competing with that. 

Sterling has only had 3 great seasons on his entire career, all in a row, from the age of 22/23 to 24/25yo (he was born December 8, 1994, so turns 30yo on the middle of next season)

he absolutely peaked at the age of 24/25, which is bizarre, as he had no bad bad injuries

it is almost like he is like 70 to 80% of NFL running backs, who peak early and then mostly tumble down due to the insane physical beating that they take (the average career span for an NFL running back is around 3 years)

Sterling of course does not have that excuse

46e356a233b6d8ce219c4baba901fdaa.png

he has now had 2 meh and 1 poor  (last season) seasons in a row since

35 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I refuse to blame a 19/20yo kid for Putin's war crime thuggery.

I couldn't agree more but unfortunately as we saw with Zinchenko's interview there are people that see all Russians/Belarusians as accessories (how the fuck did he get away with such a sweeping generalisation on TV in 2023? Don't get me wrong I have nothing but the deepest sympathy for what he and his country are going through however Russian citizens have gone to prison protesting the war and some are effectively on the run because they disagree with the regime, I meet a few in Serbia who pretty much had to rebuild their life from nothing because if they stayed in Russia they'd have been called up and didn't want to do it).

8 minutes ago, Mhsc said:

How much are we really going to get for him if we are broadcasting he is for sale? Maybe £40m? Still will be good in the FFP books, but I was expecting him to stay at this point - he has done alright in preseason, albeit filling a hole in CM that shouldn't exist. Have no doubt he will have a good PL career, was just never clear if he is at the calibre we need if we want to win titles again.

35-40M, Santos is here now, we have Enzo, Caicedo probably will eventually arrive and I think we will get one more.

3 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I couldn't agree more but unfortunately as we saw with Zinchenko's interview there are people that see all Russians/Belarusians as accessories (how the fuck did he get away with such a sweeping generalisation on TV in 2023? Don't get me wrong I have nothing but the deepest sympathy for what he and his country are going through however Russian citizens have gone to prison protesting the war and some are effectively on the run because they disagree with the regime, I meet a few in Serbia who pretty much had to rebuild their life from nothing because if they stayed in Russia they'd have been called up and didn't want to do it).

What were you doing in Serbia lol

20 minutes ago, Tomo said:

yes, but again, we were trying to buy him despite already having Mudryk, so we must have talked to him (Mudryk)

I doubt Mudryk would snap over an Armenian descent (100%) player joining us, a player whose family also fled a war (granted they fled to Russia, but that was pre Putin Russia, a Russia that was at the time being propped up partially by the US)

see this Time Magazine cover from July 15, 1996:

TimeYanks.jpg

Hypocrisy of Russia-Did-It Stories Is Hard to Stomach (2016)

https://fair.org/home/hypocrisy-of-russia-did-it-stories-is-hard-to-stomach/

Hollywood even made a Jeff Goldblum movie about it

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0324619/

e378fcf31f0e6ccff5d5069e0d443023.png

Edited by Vesper

I wouldn't mind Gallagher staying. Even if he's not starting quality I do think he'd be a good squad option to keep around. He's not on big wages, doesn't seem to have a big ego and demand a starting role, is an academy graduate to fill HG roles etc.

But at the same time I won't shed any tears if he does go, as long as the money is good. For Pochettino's 4-2-3-1 there's a bit of a probelm with Gallagher's position. Even though he can play both roles to some extent, he's not that well suited to playing in the pivot nor is he quite technical enough for the number 10 role compared to what someone like Nkunku offers.

As long as we use the Gallagher sale money on getting some tactically better suited players it might make sense to cash in but we shouldn't sell him just for the sake of selling if there's no clear plan to get a better alternative in.

12 hours ago, Tomo said:

The only reason people even remember Shearer has the record is because he has a platform to remind us all the time.

As much as one trophy is 100x better than that 'honour'.

That might be the case, but it's still some achievement in what most view as the best league in the world. Being able to do both is surely Kane's priority.

6 minutes ago, Strike said:

£35m is too low

I am sure we can get between £40m and £50m for him (HG and a multiple capped Sr England player) who is only 23yo, so in the first year or two of his prime time (22/23 to 30yo or so)

£40-42.5m at a minimum

Talent aside, I'm against signing Mbappe due to his attitude, but with our very impressive clear-out, would a move for him actually be feasible all things considered (FFP related)?

4 minutes ago, Vesper said:

£35m is too low

I am sure we can get between £40m and £50m for him (HG and a multiple capped Sr England player) who is only 23yo, so in the first year or two of his prime time (22/23 to 30yo or so)

£40-42.5m at a minimum

Maybe if our stance was that he is staying, if he is not being offered a new contract (2 years on his deal left) and we're shopping him around... Only way is if clubs get into a bidding war over him, I guess.

19 minutes ago, Jype said:

I wouldn't mind Gallagher staying. Even if he's not starting quality I do think he'd be a good squad option to keep around. He's not on big wages, doesn't seem to have a big ego and demand a starting role, is an academy graduate to fill HG roles etc.

But at the same time I won't shed any tears if he does go, as long as the money is good. For Pochettino's 4-2-3-1 there's a bit of a probelm with Gallagher's position. Even though he can play both roles to some extent, he's not that well suited to playing in the pivot nor is he quite technical enough for the number 10 role compared to what someone like Nkunku offers.

As long as we use the Gallagher sale money on getting some tactically better suited players it might make sense to cash in but we shouldn't sell him just for the sake of selling if there's no clear plan to get a better alternative in.

Agree with that, people seem to be dead set on selling him for sake of it, but if he is supposed to be mainy doing cardio shifts, why not do them for us? He is HG, seems level-headed, good ethics, eager to work and eager to train, people will be crying we need this kind of players next week. He is atm just a squad player, but if we were supposed to sell him just for sake of it for a laughable 35 million and then convert this 35 million into 1,65 random brasilian children, what's the point?