Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

If 2-3 of these players we're linked with come off I certainly think we'll be a title contender next season. Not the favorite, not even the second favorite, but I'd back us to finish within single digit points of the eventual champion. A genuine threat.

With the caliber of players the top teams are buying and linked with, I don't think there's any chance any team pulls out of sight of the pack like Liverpool have done. And if Liverpool don't invest a bit and freshen up their team they could take a step back. 

10 minutes ago, Pizy said:

If 2-3 of these players we're linked with come off I certainly think we'll be a title contender next season. Not the favorite, not even the second favorite, but I'd back us to finish within single digit points of the eventual champion. A genuine threat.

With the caliber of players the top teams are buying and linked with, I don't think there's any chance any team pulls out of sight of the pack like Liverpool have done. And if Liverpool don't invest a bit and freshen up their team they could take a step back. 

With the Dippers next season I am hoping for Dortmund Meltdown Part II.

1 hour ago, Jype said:

Yeah, I totally agree.

But next season is still a big part of the squad rebuild that began last summer with the youth. By the looks of things there will be at least 4 new signings for the coming season, possibly even more, so it takes time for new players to fully settle and many of the current young players are still in a critical phase of their development too. 

The way I see it, Liverpool's trajectory under Klopp is the way to go. Right now we're roughly at the same position where they were when Klopp took over (inheriting a squad with no signings of his own, performances varying from promising to really shit) and our next season could be comparable to Liverpool's 2016/17 too when they finished at 76 pts playing exciting football with a bad defense and GK hindering their chances of mounting a title challenge. Then after adding the final missing pieces with Alisson+VVD look at where they are now. 

So for next season I'd be happy with just a comfortable top4 finish (~75-80pts) which would already be a huge improvement over this season and then in the 21/22 it's time for a title push. Serious questions will have to be asked if the team still isn't capable of challenging for the league title in 2022.

You know how they say? - Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

We have Liverpool example so why would we decide to suffer one more year defensively when we can fix it now?

I fully expect Havertz, new LB, CB and GK this summer.

Liverpool in 16/17 had 76 points but season after 75. 

I do not want to suffer three years to get something in 4th season. That is for clubs like... Liverpool... If they did not sell Coutinho they would never get VVD and maybe even Alisson.

Also you cannot take away Sarri season in this process...

3rd place, Cup final and EL title.

Now Frank: on the way to top4, last 16 CL and Fa cup semi final (at least).

We should compare this season with City in Pep first season.

Fighting for top4 till the last round, last 16 of CL and Fa cup semi final.

If something dramatically unexpected happens in our games against Bayern, Utd in cup and in the league we would have very, very similar season.

But than before second season Pep goes and buy: B.Silva, Ederson, Mendy, Walker, Danilo and Laporte in january. They won 100 points in that season.

Mendy was injured full season, Danilo just bench warmer. When Laporte came in late January they were already on double digit lead.

So basically only Ederson, Walker and B.Silva transformed them massively over short period.

We already got Ziyech, Werner close to Havertz. And everything suggests we are after LB and GK. Dont know if we will get him but Atletico coach confirmed we are after Oblak...

Plus a lot of talk about Rice and CB. City took that big step forward in just one season and I cannot see why cant we do the same.

34 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

You know how they say? - Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

We have Liverpool example so why would we decide to suffer one more year defensively when we can fix it now?

I do not want to suffer three years to get something in 4th season. That is for clubs like... Liverpool... If they did not sell Coutinho they would never get VVD and maybe even Alisson.

If something dramatically unexpected happens in our games against Bayern, Utd in cup and in the league we would have very, very similar season.

But than before second season Pep goes and buy: B.Silva, Ederson, Mendy, Walker, Danilo and Laporte in january. They won 100 points in that season.

Mendy was injured full season, Danilo just bench warmer. When Laporte came in late January they were already on double digit lead.

So basically only Ederson, Walker and B.Silva transformed them massively over short period.

We already got Ziyech, Werner close to Havertz. And everything suggests we are after LB and GK. Dont know if we will get him but Atletico coach confirmed we are after Oblak...

Plus a lot of talk about Rice and CB. City took that big step forward in just one season and I cannot see why cant we do the same.

Sure. If Marina can land Havertz, Rice, Oblak and a quality LB on top of Werner and Ziyech already confirmed then we'll adjust expectations accordingly. But for the life of me I can't see all of that happening especially in one go (easily 350m gross spend), which means there will more than likely be some areas left to improve later (my guess would be GK).

And even if all that were to happen, the new signings still need time to gel so I wouldn't be expecting 95+ points for next season. Somewhere between 80-90 maybe if none of the signings turn out to be flops, but that gap is just too much in one season if we're being realistic. City's improvement between Pep's first and second seasons was 22 points and that's with a squad that already had world class players like KdB, Silva, Aguero, Sterling, Sane, Fernandinho, Kompany etc. to begin with. Going from ~65pts this season to ~95 the next is too much to ask IMHO. 

21 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Yea, but you can buy all of those players and improve your squad but it takes time for them to all gel together and work in well oiled system.... especially one that is strong enough to challange Liverpool and City's already Championship winning machines. There is no overnight remedy... even if you do strengthen the weaker areas of your team. I think if we are to seroously consider challanging for the title again.... then it will be the season after next. Unless Frank pulls an absolute madness out of nowhere and does a Conte and win against all odds. 😄

3 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Defense wins you titles!

City scored 16 goals more than Liverpool. Liverpool champion.

Barca scored 13 goals more than Real. Real champion.

Atalanta scored 23 goals more than Juventus. Juve champion (almost).

Havertz, Pulisic, Ziyech and Werner is all great but if we want to win things we need to fix defense.

We won't be winning the title next season anyway, atleast one of Liverpool or City will hit 90 plus points and it will be too big an ask for us next season to do the same. We will likely still have holes in the team and even if we somehow fix them all we'd have 6/7 new players in the lineup which will mean they will need time to gel, either scenario will handicap us as far as a title challenge if concerned.

So if loading up on attackers is the first port of call them so be it.

3 hours ago, King Kante said:

We have far too many problems atm to think about a title push in the next two seasons. At the moment, we have the following problems: 

1) A GK that lets in nearly 50% of shots on goal in.

2) Four CB's that show no leadership qualities and all have individual weaknesses that the opposition know and exploit. 

3) An attack that creates lots of chances but has really poor conversion rate (this may already been remedied but we still have to wait and see.) 

4) A midfield that is pretty lightweight and gets overpowered and even out ran at times. 

5) One LB that downed tools and another who, whilst great getting forward, is very slow to recover. 

For me, to expect to solve all those issues in one year is asking too much. Next year the expectation should just be CL qualification and anything else is a bonus. That would still be progress as surely this year would've been Ropey League qualification and a cup would be a bonus. 

You forgot a 6th point - better and proper coaching!

Next year may be too early but I expect a title challenge from the 2021/22 season onward. And as I alluded to, I don't expect to go win straight away at the first attempt but there has to be progress - more consistency, close the gap on Man City and Liverpool and maybe even pose a threat to those two in the title for 2/3 of the season. If we keep hovering below those two and be satisfied with Top 4, don't be shocked when the players become disillusioned and want to leave because there's no progress etc. 

I suspect we will be signing at least one defender and maybe a keeper this summer as well. 

3 hours ago, Jype said:

Yeah, I totally agree.

But next season is still a big part of the squad rebuild that began last summer with the youth. By the looks of things there will be at least 4 new signings for the coming season, possibly even more, so it takes time for new players to fully settle and many of the current young players are still in a critical phase of their development too. 

The way I see it, Liverpool's trajectory under Klopp is the way to go. Right now we're roughly at the same position where they were when Klopp took over (inheriting a squad with no signings of his own, performances varying from promising to really shit) and our next season could be comparable to Liverpool's 2016/17 too when they finished at 76 pts playing exciting football with a bad defense and GK hindering their chances of mounting a title challenge. Then after adding the final missing pieces with Alisson+VVD look at where they are now. 

So for next season I'd be happy with just a comfortable top4 finish (~75-80pts) which would already be a huge improvement over this season and then in the 21/22 it's time for a title push. Serious questions will have to be asked if the team still isn't capable of challenging for the league title in 2022.

OR we could just take the Man City route and make big changes in one go, assuming we have the finances to do so. 

I think money should not be a problem.

19/20 season = +100m in net spending. Hazard, Aina, Kalas, Luiz, Hector... Bought just Kovacic.

20/21 for now: -20m net spending. Werner and Ziyech according to transfermarkt 94m euros. We got 74m for Morata, Pasalic and Nathan.

So 80m left. If you add loan fees we can afford Havertz for that money and be on zero.

Surely we will sell players this summer for at least 100m. Emerson, one CB, Baka, Michy, Barkley...

This can buy us Oblak! 

And than on top of that we can easily afford -100m in net spending this summer. Alaba and Rice.

But if we buy Oblak surely Kepa will leave and Jorginho possibly. Even if it is on loan with obligation to buy we can get 100m next summer for tham. FFP (is that still a thing?) works for a period of couple of years if I am right so no issues...

What are the weaknesses of this side?

lineup.png

4 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

How do you rate our CL chances? Because the CL money helps getting all the transfers done

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

I think we will do it, just. I think Spurs will beat Leicester or at least take points off them. I also fancy us to get 4 points out of the next two games.

We won't get Alaba or Oblak. Alaba is unhappy because he doesn't want to play LB so why would he ever come here to play the position? I'd rather keep Kepa and strengthen defense. We're not going to spend 180M on 2 GKs over 3 years 

If we were going to lose Jorginho, we should jump all over Thiago Alcantara. 29 years old but could easily play at this level to he is 33 or 34 as he is purely a technical footballer. 32m apparently is what they want for him. Has won virtually everything at club level Too.