Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

7 hours ago, DDA said:

If we do sell Kante, it best be to a random team in the Columbuan second division. I never want to see him play against us. 

It will probably be PSG and if not them Madrid. I seriously do not see him going anywhere else. 

9 hours ago, DDA said:

If we do sell Kante, it best be to a random team in the Columbuan second division. I never want to see him play against us. 

If we sold Kante, we would need to buy either Ndidi or Partey. Our defence already looks poor and if we plan to go with Jorginho, Kovacic, Gilmour and the possesion football, literaly any team could punish us on break. Thats how slow and weak that midfield would look. 

I hope we keep Kante. With all the attackers we have, it only makes sense we go 4231 anyways.

1 hour ago, BlueLyon said:

If we sold Kante, we would need to buy either Ndidi or Partey. Our defence already looks poor and if we plan to go with Jorginho, Kovacic, Gilmour and the possesion football, literaly any team could punish us on break. Thats how slow and weak that midfield would look. 

I hope we keep Kante. With all the attackers we have, it only makes sense we go 4231 anyways.

If we sold Kanté we would do no such thing. it would mean we decide to try a system without a traditional/tackling-oriented Dm/cm like we have tried throughout Kante‘s injury. I also think doing so is a fallacy and that a DM should be able to do both. Spray passes, control the tempo, with occasional dribbles and (unlike Joeginho) be a solid player tackler who does not get bullied or overrun. 
But it makes no sense to sell the best dynamic dcm in the world to replace with Ndidi and Partey in a market where he would not even fetch a fraction of his true value. 
i think our future is without Kante, just as it Without Jorginho. Both are just right for the transition. Especially Kanté for solidity in big games and Jorginho as makeshift holder in smaller ones. But for Lamps System to work we need an absolute Allrounder in that position like a prime Busquets on steroids. 

Looking at Havertz stats this season it is clear that he raised his game after changing position.

Very slow start as AM. After that RW and now CF much, much better.

19/20

AM 21 games 3 goals 2 assists

RW 10 games 5/5

CF 7 games 7/1

Ziyech AM and Kai RW is another great option to have. They can definitely change positions in the game in we sign him.

2 minutes ago, Dimitr said:

EC67BF2F-1F4F-4465-ACFF-38B39A6FE697.png

It was said like 10 days ago that we are going to get two marquee signings.

Werner being one and he was cheap tbh so we are definitely after another more expensive player. Havertz or Chilwell.

EC67BF2F-1F4F-4465-ACFF-38B39A6FE697.thumb.png.a027955773fbeaa74df7451a99a336d7.png
If we sell Kante for 80 mio. Euros, we have 95 mio. already to spend. Pasalic got us 15 mio. already. I would also sell Barkley, who will give 15 mio. +. Money will not be a issue this summer. We do not need even the help of Roman

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

For all the talk of Kante, I highly doubt we will sell him, unless a club decide to offer 100 million+ for him, which may force the club to think. We just gave him a new contract not too long ago and Lampard has praised him to the heavens at every opportunity. 

For all the talk of Kante, I highly doubt we will sell him, unless a club decide to offer 100 million+ for him, which may force the club to think. We just gave him a new contract not too long ago and Lampard has praised him to the heavens at every opportunity. 
If he sits on the bench, he will leave.

Just now, killer1257 said:

If he sits on the bench, he will leave.

That is if Lampard permanently puts him there. Otherwise, I doubt it going by his comments. 

That is if Lampard permanently puts him there. Otherwise, I doubt it going by his comments. 
I don't think that Lamps is the type of guy that says negative stuff anyway. If a Real Madrid offer comes, Lamps will think about it.

I don't see him outperforming RLC. RLC had 10 goals and 5 assists last season, while he played 2000 minutes. Kante scored 5 goals and had 4 assists in 4000 minutes. RLC is way more efficient and they both played the same position last year

Just now, killer1257 said:

I don't think that Lamps is the type of guy that says negative stuff anyway. If a Real Madrid offer comes, Lamps will think about it.

I don't see him outperforming RLC. RLC had 10 goals and 5 assists last season, while he played 2000 minutes. Kante scored 5 goals and had 4 assists in 4000 minutes. RLC is way more efficient and they both played the same position last year

If you're talking about Goals and Assists, then that is obvious. But ultimately, both are different type of players. It just depends on how Lampard plan to use Kante in the long run. If not, sell him and buy a more traditional defensive midfielder. 

The truth about Jorginho and those Juventus rumours

https://theathletic.com/1865230/2020/06/13/jorginho-juventus-sarri-chelsea-lampard/

jorginho-juventus-sarri-chelsea-lampard.jpg

Over the past two years, one word has become a common refrain around the first-team building at Cobham: “pai”, meaning “father” in Portuguese. It has been Jorginho’s default greeting for Chelsea players and staff alike ever since arriving from Napoli in July 2018 and, such is the force of his personality, it has been embraced within the squad. Team-mates now say it back to him, in person and on social media.

Jorginho has been a defining presence at Chelsea since day one. That much was inevitable, given his singular importance to Maurizio Sarri’s tactical system and the subsequent demands placed on N’Golo Kante — the best and highest-paid player at the club — to adapt and fit around him. The decision to immediately recast the entire team to the particular rhythm of his game was a deeply polarising one. It ensured that he often bore the brunt of broader fan frustrations with “Sarriball”.

His impact has been every bit as profound off the pitch. Those at the club speak of a warm yet assertive character, who immediately earned the respect of his Chelsea team-mates, a particularly impressive achievement when you consider how easily he might have been dismissed as a teacher’s pet under Sarri. He has managed to strike a balance between being one of the practical jokers at Cobham and being a leader who helps ensure standards are upheld, particularly among the younger players in the dressing room.

That status has been enhanced by Frank Lampard, who named Jorginho his vice-captain in October. He values the Italy international’s personality as much as his ability and, like Sarri, has picked his team accordingly. Club captain Cesar Azpilicueta and goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga are the only players to play more minutes for Chelsea than Jorginho this season. In the prolonged absence of Kante due to injury, it is he and Mateo Kovacic who have become the hub of the team, their shared understanding of midfield play and fearlessness on the ball underpinning this season’s best displays.

Along the way, Jorginho has been transformed from supporter lightning rod to Stamford Bridge favourite with only minimal changes to his game. The impression is that he has enjoyed the chance to emerge from the shadow cast by his role under Sarri. The public endorsement of a Chelsea legend like Lampard has opened eyes to the qualities he always offered: unshakeable calm in possession, an instinctive awareness of how best to change the direction and tempo of play and the uniquely effective penalty technique that he refines with daily practice after training.

Jorginho’s weaknesses have been equally as glaring. His athletic limitations and imperfect defensive instincts hamper his ability to shield the defence. They have also manifested in 13 yellow cards across all competitions this season (one every 228 minutes), resulting in a suspension that carries over to Chelsea’s imminent return to Premier League action. Overall, though, there should be every reason to expect Jorginho to be central to Lampard’s short and medium-term plans.

Yet speculation linking him with a move to Juventus — and yet another reunion with Sarri — in the coming transfer window will not go away. So what is going on?

Jorginho always insisted that his relationship with Sarri was no closer than you would expect from any player and his coach. “I don’t go out for dinner with him. I don’t go round to his house,” he said in an interview with The Guardian in March 2019. “Our work is very professional and he speaks and explains what he wants me to do. I try to understand that and do my best for the team.”

All recent evidence supports his claim. Sources have told The Athletic that the two men have not communicated since Sarri left Chelsea for Juventus in June, either on the phone or via message. The Italian never showed much interest in building personal relationships with players during his time at Stamford Bridge or in leading the club’s recruitment efforts — though he did speak to Christian Pulisic before the USA international signed from Borussia Dortmund for £58 million in January 2019.

Juventus have chief football officer Fabio Paratici to do that job and he has been active during the football shutdown. Exploratory talks with Chelsea were held to exchange ideas about a wide range of possible business between the two clubs, who have negotiated extensively about Gonzalo Higuain and Alex Sandro in the recent past. Those conversations quickly sparked reports of a potential swap deal involving Jorginho and Miralem Pjanic.

It is easy to see the appeal for Sarri who, despite currently being on course to win the first Serie A title of his career, has arguably found it even harder to implement his football philosophy at Juventus than he did at Chelsea. Jorginho’s accompanying move to Stamford Bridge in the summer of 2018 eased the tactical transformation from the Antonio Conte era, even if full adaptation was never achieved. He could serve a similar purpose for Sarri in Turin.

Juventus hold a considerable political stake in doing all they can to help Sarri succeed, having nudged out the spectacularly successful Massimiliano Allegri last summer in search of a Pep Guardiola-style identity. The balance of their midfield has been a headache for much of this season, with Pjanic struggling for consistency in the Jorginho role – though Rodrigo Bentancur’s promising audition in the 2-0 win over Inter in March hinted at a potential solution.

Pjanic is no longer key to Juventus’ long-term plans. He is also a player that interested Chelsea when he was building his Serie A reputation at Roma but that was a long time ago and now he presents the same two issues that Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang did as a transfer target: age and wage. At 30 years old and on a contract that pays him around £120,000-a-week, he no longer fits the profile of player that is being sought to supplement the vibrant home-grown core at Stamford Bridge.

Douglas Costa, another out-of-favour player mentioned within the context of a Jorginho trade, makes even less sense. He does not play a position in which Lampard needs extra bodies, even if Pedro and Willian depart Stamford Bridge as expected this summer. Pulisic and Callum Hudson-Odoi are looking for more important roles next season, while marquee signings Hakim Ziyech and Timo Werner are both regarded as quality wide options.

There is a more fundamental problem of contrasting priorities between the two clubs. Juventus are hoping to strengthen their midfield at a low cost while selling players who are surplus to Sarri’s requirements to balance the books. Under Marina Granovskaia, Chelsea do not sell low. They paid a fee rising to £57 million for Jorginho only two years ago. His performances since have not depressed his value and, despite the deflationary effect that many expect the COVID-19 pandemic to have on transfer fees, it is hard to envision a scenario where he would be allowed to leave at a loss.

Jorginho has embraced London. The packed nature of his first season meant he was slow to explore his new surroundings from his home near Stamford Bridge but David Luiz and the rest of Chelsea’s contingent of Brazilians helped ease him in, introducing him to the familiar charms of Cafe Brazil opposite the stadium on Fulham Road. He picked up English quickly and fell in love with the city, to the extent that he did not leave the country during lockdown, as Willian and several others did.

The respect Lampard has shown him runs both ways. Those who know him say Jorginho has felt empowered to lead on and off the pitch this season, and he has particularly relished changing the minds of Chelsea supporters who were slow to be convinced by his game. He is settled and happy at the club, even though Luiz is long gone and Willian and Emerson Palmieri — his closest friend in the squad — are likelier than not to follow in the coming weeks.

However, no option can be taken off the table. There remains a sense that Chelsea could be convinced to sell. Midfield is the most crowded area of Lampard’s squad and Billy Gilmour’s spectacular breakthrough before the shutdown presents a real alternative to Jorginho. Kante and Ruben Loftus-Cheek are fit again at last and Kovacic — by virtue of his age as well as his performances this season — is the most logical established cog to build around.

If there is to be a third link-up between Jorginho and Sarri, Juventus will have to put together a bid that is more appealing than the offer of an unwanted squad-filler. If Jorginho stays at Stamford Bridge, the evidence of the last two years suggests Chelsea’s midfield metronome will continue to define this team, in good ways and bad, with his personality as much as his skill set.

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

The truth about Jorginho and those Juventus rumours

https://theathletic.com/1865230/2020/06/13/jorginho-juventus-sarri-chelsea-lampard/

jorginho-juventus-sarri-chelsea-lampard.jpg

Over the past two years, one word has become a common refrain around the first-team building at Cobham: “pai”, meaning “father” in Portuguese. It has been Jorginho’s default greeting for Chelsea players and staff alike ever since arriving from Napoli in July 2018 and, such is the force of his personality, it has been embraced within the squad. Team-mates now say it back to him, in person and on social media.

Jorginho has been a defining presence at Chelsea since day one. That much was inevitable, given his singular importance to Maurizio Sarri’s tactical system and the subsequent demands placed on N’Golo Kante — the best and highest-paid player at the club — to adapt and fit around him. The decision to immediately recast the entire team to the particular rhythm of his game was a deeply polarising one. It ensured that he often bore the brunt of broader fan frustrations with “Sarriball”.

His impact has been every bit as profound off the pitch. Those at the club speak of a warm yet assertive character, who immediately earned the respect of his Chelsea team-mates, a particularly impressive achievement when you consider how easily he might have been dismissed as a teacher’s pet under Sarri. He has managed to strike a balance between being one of the practical jokers at Cobham and being a leader who helps ensure standards are upheld, particularly among the younger players in the dressing room.

That status has been enhanced by Frank Lampard, who named Jorginho his vice-captain in October. He values the Italy international’s personality as much as his ability and, like Sarri, has picked his team accordingly. Club captain Cesar Azpilicueta and goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga are the only players to play more minutes for Chelsea than Jorginho this season. In the prolonged absence of Kante due to injury, it is he and Mateo Kovacic who have become the hub of the team, their shared understanding of midfield play and fearlessness on the ball underpinning this season’s best displays.

Along the way, Jorginho has been transformed from supporter lightning rod to Stamford Bridge favourite with only minimal changes to his game. The impression is that he has enjoyed the chance to emerge from the shadow cast by his role under Sarri. The public endorsement of a Chelsea legend like Lampard has opened eyes to the qualities he always offered: unshakeable calm in possession, an instinctive awareness of how best to change the direction and tempo of play and the uniquely effective penalty technique that he refines with daily practice after training.

Jorginho’s weaknesses have been equally as glaring. His athletic limitations and imperfect defensive instincts hamper his ability to shield the defence. They have also manifested in 13 yellow cards across all competitions this season (one every 228 minutes), resulting in a suspension that carries over to Chelsea’s imminent return to Premier League action. Overall, though, there should be every reason to expect Jorginho to be central to Lampard’s short and medium-term plans.

Yet speculation linking him with a move to Juventus — and yet another reunion with Sarri — in the coming transfer window will not go away. So what is going on?

Jorginho always insisted that his relationship with Sarri was no closer than you would expect from any player and his coach. “I don’t go out for dinner with him. I don’t go round to his house,” he said in an interview with The Guardian in March 2019. “Our work is very professional and he speaks and explains what he wants me to do. I try to understand that and do my best for the team.”

All recent evidence supports his claim. Sources have told The Athletic that the two men have not communicated since Sarri left Chelsea for Juventus in June, either on the phone or via message. The Italian never showed much interest in building personal relationships with players during his time at Stamford Bridge or in leading the club’s recruitment efforts — though he did speak to Christian Pulisic before the USA international signed from Borussia Dortmund for £58 million in January 2019.

Juventus have chief football officer Fabio Paratici to do that job and he has been active during the football shutdown. Exploratory talks with Chelsea were held to exchange ideas about a wide range of possible business between the two clubs, who have negotiated extensively about Gonzalo Higuain and Alex Sandro in the recent past. Those conversations quickly sparked reports of a potential swap deal involving Jorginho and Miralem Pjanic.

It is easy to see the appeal for Sarri who, despite currently being on course to win the first Serie A title of his career, has arguably found it even harder to implement his football philosophy at Juventus than he did at Chelsea. Jorginho’s accompanying move to Stamford Bridge in the summer of 2018 eased the tactical transformation from the Antonio Conte era, even if full adaptation was never achieved. He could serve a similar purpose for Sarri in Turin.

Juventus hold a considerable political stake in doing all they can to help Sarri succeed, having nudged out the spectacularly successful Massimiliano Allegri last summer in search of a Pep Guardiola-style identity. The balance of their midfield has been a headache for much of this season, with Pjanic struggling for consistency in the Jorginho role – though Rodrigo Bentancur’s promising audition in the 2-0 win over Inter in March hinted at a potential solution.

Pjanic is no longer key to Juventus’ long-term plans. He is also a player that interested Chelsea when he was building his Serie A reputation at Roma but that was a long time ago and now he presents the same two issues that Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang did as a transfer target: age and wage. At 30 years old and on a contract that pays him around £120,000-a-week, he no longer fits the profile of player that is being sought to supplement the vibrant home-grown core at Stamford Bridge.

Douglas Costa, another out-of-favour player mentioned within the context of a Jorginho trade, makes even less sense. He does not play a position in which Lampard needs extra bodies, even if Pedro and Willian depart Stamford Bridge as expected this summer. Pulisic and Callum Hudson-Odoi are looking for more important roles next season, while marquee signings Hakim Ziyech and Timo Werner are both regarded as quality wide options.

There is a more fundamental problem of contrasting priorities between the two clubs. Juventus are hoping to strengthen their midfield at a low cost while selling players who are surplus to Sarri’s requirements to balance the books. Under Marina Granovskaia, Chelsea do not sell low. They paid a fee rising to £57 million for Jorginho only two years ago. His performances since have not depressed his value and, despite the deflationary effect that many expect the COVID-19 pandemic to have on transfer fees, it is hard to envision a scenario where he would be allowed to leave at a loss.

Jorginho has embraced London. The packed nature of his first season meant he was slow to explore his new surroundings from his home near Stamford Bridge but David Luiz and the rest of Chelsea’s contingent of Brazilians helped ease him in, introducing him to the familiar charms of Cafe Brazil opposite the stadium on Fulham Road. He picked up English quickly and fell in love with the city, to the extent that he did not leave the country during lockdown, as Willian and several others did.

The respect Lampard has shown him runs both ways. Those who know him say Jorginho has felt empowered to lead on and off the pitch this season, and he has particularly relished changing the minds of Chelsea supporters who were slow to be convinced by his game. He is settled and happy at the club, even though Luiz is long gone and Willian and Emerson Palmieri — his closest friend in the squad — are likelier than not to follow in the coming weeks.

However, no option can be taken off the table. There remains a sense that Chelsea could be convinced to sell. Midfield is the most crowded area of Lampard’s squad and Billy Gilmour’s spectacular breakthrough before the shutdown presents a real alternative to Jorginho. Kante and Ruben Loftus-Cheek are fit again at last and Kovacic — by virtue of his age as well as his performances this season — is the most logical established cog to build around.

If there is to be a third link-up between Jorginho and Sarri, Juventus will have to put together a bid that is more appealing than the offer of an unwanted squad-filler. If Jorginho stays at Stamford Bridge, the evidence of the last two years suggests Chelsea’s midfield metronome will continue to define this team, in good ways and bad, with his personality as much as his skill set.

As far as I am concerned there are only four swap options available to Juve to get Jorgi. I put these in order of my preference: 

1) De Ligt > Jorgi+Cash (or Emerson) 

2) Demiral > Jorgi (however I am slightly cautious about this one as Demiral picked up a bad knee injury which I am always wary of) 

3) Sandro + serious chunk of coin > Jorgi 

4) Dybala > Jorgi (not going to happen and not sure we need him, however I really like Dybala as a player)

Other than those four options, Juve can jog on. 

9 minutes ago, King Kante said:

As far as I am concerned there are only four swap options available to Juve to get Jorgi. I put these in order of my preference: 

1) De Ligt > Jorgi+Cash (or Emerson) 

2) Demiral > Jorgi (however I am slightly cautious about this one as Demiral picked up a bad knee injury which I am always wary of) 

3) Sandro + serious chunk of coin > Jorgi 

4) Dybala > Jorgi (not going to happen and not sure we need him, however I really like Dybala as a player)

Other than those four options, Juve can jog on. 

de Ligt + Alex Sandro for Jorginho + Emerson + Cash (or another one of our MYRIAD number of dregs I listed above)

Alex Sandro instantly solves LB for 2 to 3 years (so takes pressure off of dumping £80m on Chilwell) and if we buy a younger LB next summer, or in 2022, we can use him (Alex Sandro) as the backup or rotationally)

de Ligt is a massive upgrade over AC and Zouma

and leaves only a left footed CB to be had to sort out the CB's (provided Romagnoli absolutely will not come we can bide our time)

Demiral is far too unproven for me to warrant £60m or so (which is what we would be paying in valuation if we swapped him for Jorginho straight up) Demiral PLUS Alex Sandro for Jorginho, maybe but need to see his fitness (like you said about his knee) and THAT deal still leaves Emerson floating, so it would probably have to be Demiral+Alex+CASH for Jorgi+Emerson