Todd Boehly Thread

8 minutes ago, lucio said:

He didn't get the players he wanted. We failed on all the first choice players and panicked and ended up with shit. 

He got sacked because he didn't get on well with the new owners. They want soft touch yes men like potter and lampard. Tuchel clashes with owners all the time so he was never gonna tolerate Todd's arrogance and ineptitude 

No evidence of why he got sacked, it's all speculation at this point, it's even speculation about his targets, it's all speculation, I'll tell you what isn't speculation though the strikers he let go, that's cold hard facts, I love the man for what he did in the champions league here, but let's no deny he's not  part of reason we are where we are. Also this yea man crap is getting boring now, they hired one manager in GP now all of a sudden the narrative is they only want yes men 🤣🤣 there is nothing to suggest GP was even a yes man, it's all speculative bullshit. 

1 minute ago, YorkshireBlue said:

No evidence of why he got sacked, it's all speculation at this point, it's even speculation about his targets, it's all speculation, I'll tell you what isn't speculation though the strikers he let go, that's cold hard facts, I love the man for what he did in the champions league here, but let's no deny he's not  part of reason we are where we are. Also this yea man crap is getting boring now, they hired one manager in GP now all of a sudden the narrative is they only want yes men 🤣🤣 there is nothing to suggest GP was even a yes man, it's all speculative bullshit. 

Just listen to his interviews, he's soft. No way he'd stand up to the owners , he won the lottery even being considered for the Chelsea job , no way he'd give them trouble especially with his shocking form 

34 minutes ago, lucio said:

Just listen to his interviews, he's soft. No way he'd stand up to the owners , he won the lottery even being considered for the Chelsea job , no way he'd give them trouble especially with his shocking form 

Just because some one is calm doesn't make them soft 

12 minutes ago, lucio said:

He was accepting mediocrity and making weak excuses. He's soft 

The club is a mess. I don't think there's a manager that could've made things work considering the circumstances. Potter was trying to bring some sort of calm in a completely chaotic situation. Just look at the big picture. Tons of players in the locker room, plenty ot them are unhappy, the owners seem clueless. There's only so much a manager can do. 

There're only a few things that I would blame Potter for, like some of his team selections. But considering how things are looking now, it seems that he was the least of our problems. 

And the "standing up to the owners" thing is non-sense. It's just something to tickle our egos, but it doesn't really solve anything. Look at Conte, standing up to the owners of every single club that he manages and then getting the sack right away. A good manager is a manager that is agile, not trivial.

Edited by Cosmin

36 minutes ago, lucio said:

He was accepting mediocrity and making weak excuses. He's soft 

So what should he have done in the press conferences and interviews? What Conte did? You don't publicly slam your players, you do that in house.

2 hours ago, lucio said:

He didn't get the players he wanted. We failed on all the first choice players and panicked and ended up with shit. 

He got sacked because he didn't get on well with the new owners. They want soft touch yes men like potter and lampard. Tuchel clashes with owners all the time so he was never gonna tolerate Todd's arrogance and ineptitude 

It's all speculation but going off Tuchel's previous comments when he was here and previous reports of the old ownership, I get the impression Chelsea under Roman and Tuchel was just a perfect fit. Chelsea got themselves an elite manager that just wanted to coach and not keep trying to play power games with them which were issues in the past with the likes of Jose and Conte, whilst Tuchel got to be able to focus on being a coach and not have to worry about managing upwards because he was insulated by Marina and Cech.

I think it's less about a yes man for these owners, and more about someone who can manage upwards in the hierarchy, getting more involved in overall discussions regarding how the club progresses, etc. Tuchel quite simply wouldn't have wanted that, and has always eventually had problems dealing with owners, sporting directors, etc at previous clubs. 

I just wish a bit of time and patience over the whole situation would have been done, but that works both ways. The ownership should have known that once they had that management structure in place above Tuchel, he wouldn't have needed to be as involved as he had been in the summer. Likewise Tuchel should have given some slack to the new owners coming in and having to take on everything with Buck, Marina and Cech all leaving pretty much immediately. But ultimately that wasn't the case. 

The new owners made a wrong managerial appointment, and unfortunately being their first one isn't a great start. But we made mistakes under Roman too, particularly in the earlier days with Scolari and AVB. At least this time, some time is being taken and the sporting directors are the ones doing the ground work. The January window so far, with their influence, was significantly stronger than the summer one so hopefully this next managerial appointment is too.

22 hours ago, Hot Dawg said:

The Glazers, Randy Lerner, Hicks and Gillett, Boehly if you want someone to ruin your club give it to a yank. I swear if Trump hadn't run for presidency he would have eyed up a football sorry soccer club. I haven't watched Ted Lasso on principle I don't care if it's great, like kippers and custard somethings just don't go together like Americans and Soccerball. We are royally fucked no coming back from this in a couple of seasons we will be looking at similar types of managers like Potter again no big names are going to want to come to this circus run by ringmaster Todd.

I think you're wrong bruv.

Yanks and Soccerball do go together, it's Yanks and Football that don't🥵

They know fuckall about the real game or how clubs are supposed to run.

1 hour ago, YorkshireBlue said:

So what should he have done in the press conferences and interviews? What Conte did? You don't publicly slam your players, you do that in house.

He didn't even do that in house. They say he didn't even get angry at half time after awful performances. Just said "that wasn't really what I was expecting". 

38 minutes ago, lucio said:

He didn't even do that in house. They say he didn't even get angry at half time after awful performances. Just said "that wasn't really what I was expecting". 

Well to be fair, even Brighton players have mentioned that Potter was always about man management and maintaining good relationships so getting angry at half time would be 'out of character'.
It worked at Brighton as they were trying to establish themselves as a solid midtable side and I doubt there were that many egos in the dressing room as most of the players were value for money signings who were out to prove a point. 

Compare that to Chelsea where he walks into the dressing room and most of the team has a UCL medal to their name and they all have inflated egos thanks to that historic UCL run. 

Then you add on all the signings that weren't needed (Felix, Mudryk, Madueke, Cucurella)....and you begin to wonder what the f*ck the club were actually thinking as the transfer strategy just doesn't add up. 

Why bother bringing Madueke in January if he's not going to play a key role to finish off the season....surely a loan back to PSV would have made more sense (like Gusto at Lyon). 

Same can be said for Felix, how many goals/assists has he provided?    He looks technically great but I'm not sure how he's actually improving our attack

1 hour ago, bigbluewillie said:

I think you're wrong bruv.

Yanks and Soccerball do go together, it's Yanks and Football that don't🥵

They know fuckall about the real game or how clubs are supposed to run.

Then how Liverpool did good with Yank owner? 

Because they got a good manager, now the owner are taking time to make sure they do that. 

5 hours ago, YorkshireBlue said:

It wasnt speculation about his first choices. How long did we spend trying to sign de Ligt & Raphina this summer for example? Made numerous bids for de Ligt & agreed a fee for Raphina. Only for him only to want to go to Barca. Those 2, Sterling and Aubamayang were probably the only players Tuchel actually wanted properly out of what we got. Cucurella & Koulibaly definitely more club led I would say and after their past season or seasons, you can see why they could of been reasonable signings but the fees and wages were hugely inflated.

6 hours ago, YorkshireBlue said:

There is a bigger reason TT got sacked that is obvious, rather than looking at it like why did he give him a pre season then sack him blah blah blah, why not think we'll maybe TT wasn't going to get sacked, he got his players he asked for, he got his pre season, then something happened and the only option was to sack him. Then owner gets far to much stick for this season, I'd agree with all of it if we were 3 or 4 seasons in but 1? Seems more like people are used to this "instant" success culture we had here under Roman, and patience as a Chelsea fan just doesn't exist anymore. I suggest some people on here stop taking everything a paper or Twitter reports as "gospel" truth and realise these stories and Tweets are only ever put out for clicks. It's rather obvious Chelsea has some of the  most tragic fans on the planet and will believe anything and everything that is said about the club.

I see your back to defending the indefensible. Boehly now after months of defending Potter.  The owner is getting everything he deserves, finally, after a near year of hugely incompetent decisions which have piled up upon each other. From fans, from players (Thiago Silva) & ex players (Drogba).

We went from a team who made what 6 or 7 cup finals in 2.5 seasons to a team that looks like it could probably get relegated next season. But sure the manager and players are only to blame (not saying they cant do more, far from it but the managers & certain players are only here because of poor choices by the owners) - particularly when the owner chose a incompetent manager to replace a more than competent one and splurged on players who aren’t worth what we paid.

I mean if such an iconic ex player such as Didier is saying he doesn’t recognise the club anymore, with his status here, his comments carry weight. Just reinforces how so much of us have felt over the last 7 or 8 months.

But sure its not directly the owners fault. Yep. Sure

Edited by OneMoSalah

40 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Well to be fair, even Brighton players have mentioned that Potter was always about man management and maintaining good relationships so getting angry at half time would be 'out of character'.
It worked at Brighton as they were trying to establish themselves as a solid midtable side and I doubt there were that many egos in the dressing room as most of the players were value for money signings who were out to prove a point. 

Compare that to Chelsea where he walks into the dressing room and most of the team has a UCL medal to their name and they all have inflated egos thanks to that historic UCL run. 

Then you add on all the signings that weren't needed (Felix, Mudryk, Madueke, Cucurella)....and you begin to wonder what the f*ck the club were actually thinking as the transfer strategy just doesn't add up. 

Why bother bringing Madueke in January if he's not going to play a key role to finish off the season....surely a loan back to PSV would have made more sense (like Gusto at Lyon). 

Same can be said for Felix, how many goals/assists has he provided?    He looks technically great but I'm not sure how he's actually improving our attack

I'd like to see Felix under a top coach with a real attacking strategy. Could do well under Poch imo 

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

We went from a team who made what 6 or 7 cup finals in 2.5 seasons to a team that looks like it could probably get relegated next season. 

Sounds bad when you only put it like that except you have missed all the middle bit out, can you honestly tell me after the club was sold you thought we would just carry on where we left off as if nothing had changed?

11 hours ago, Thor said:

I think most takes in here are massive over reactions. 

Saying the club is ruined and all that... Don't know about that. Pure hyperbole considering most of the signings we made - everyone was happy about. The club actually bought the players everyone was after. Only thing we don't have is a number 9 and some semblance of stability with a proper manager and tactics.

This is the biggest period of change we have ever gone through in the last 20 years. It doesn't happen overnight. I'm actually super impressed at the pieces we have at our disposal. Badi, Enzo, Mudryk, Madu, Nkunku, Fofana and Gusto are all great players with leaps of talent, and we already have the likes of James, Kante, Silva, etc. Kai and Joao are great players too being used not to the fullest. This isn't a poor team based on talent - we just need some guidance. 

It won't take much for this team to find its feet. It is a mental and tactical thing at this point. We have the pieces to compete - bar the number 9. 

Chelsea fans are used to short terms success, bc basically Romans system was built on that - change for the sake of short term success. The new owerns are exactly the opposite, with a long term approach, not really caring about the short term. 
So ofc its hard for Chelsea fans to adapt to this new approach.
In a way I think Boehly and co knew about this Chelsea fandom soul and tried to rush this transformation and have it done as soon as possible. And this was the mistake imh. They changed too many things too quickly, they should have taken more time to complete this huge transformation process. 

But I think they learnt from it bc not appointing a new manager immedietaly but taking their time and evaluating every aspect of it is actually a good thing. Its just funny that some of u wanted to have this decision rushed as well^^

Edited by Gundalf

11 minutes ago, Gundalf said:

Chelsea fans are used to short terms success, bc basically Romans system was built on that - change for the sake of short term success. The new owerns are exactly the opposite, with a long term approach, not really caring about the short term. 
So ofc its hard for Chelsea fans to adapt to this new approach.
In a way I think Boehly and co new this Chelsea fandom soul and tried to rush this transformation and have it done as soon as possible. And this was the mistake imh. They changed too many things too quickly, they should have taken more time to complete this huge transformation process. 

But I think they learnt from it bc not appointing a new manager immedietaly but taking their time and evaluate every aspect of it is actually a good thing. Its just funny that some of u wanted to have this decision rushed as well^^

Not.onky did they want it rushed,  I'm the sAme breath say it better work out 😅

1 hour ago, YorkshireBlue said:

Sounds bad when you only put it like that except you have missed all the middle bit out, can you honestly tell me after the club was sold you thought we would just carry on where we left off as if nothing had changed?

Not exactly but I expected us to remain competitive in and around the top 4 as we had a competitive squad, Tuchel and what seemed like an owner willing to continue investing in good players but nobody really saw this coming in terms of how poorly the strategy and infrastructure rebuild has been.

Or are you going to tell me that there is a genuine excusable and logical explanation as to why we have gone from a near 2 year period of finishing in the top 4 and making 6 or 7 finals under Tuchel (winning 3) to sitting 11/12th 7 or 8 months later that isn’t majorly down to the ownership & decision making?

Whats changed in that time? And why has it changed? Boehly & Eghbali’s decision making has heavily influenced where we’ve ended up. Its as cut and dry as that. Yes players haven’t performed great but there is so much other shit wrong before even looking at the players. And that stems from the higher ups. I mean anybody who thought going from TT to GP was going to rescue top 4/6 needed their head checked on day 1, yet alone 4 months ago.

I mean yeah, a top top manager with a couple of key additions and clearing out this bloated squad could turn the ship slightly but personally, I feel that a lot is going to depend a lot on how much of an influence these 2 clowns upstairs decide they want to have - they just cant help themselves. They are the biggest concern for me more than anything else. This supposed collection of expert footballing people they’ve installed have got a point to prove also. Other than Badiashile and Enzo, they’ve got a poor record so far. Mudryk, Nadueke, Felix seem like they were unnecessary additions - nothing different to what we had and they’ve not made a meaningful impact. 

11 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Not exactly but I expected us to remain competitive in and around the top 4 as we had a competitive squad, Tuchel and what seemed like an owner willing to continue investing in good players but nobody really saw this coming in terms of how poorly the strategy and infrastructure rebuild has been.

Or are you going to tell me that there is a genuine excusable and logical explanation as to why we have gone from a near 2 year period of finishing in the top 4 and making 6 or 7 finals under Tuchel (winning 3) to sitting 11/12th 7 or 8 months later that isn’t majorly down to the ownership & decision making?

Whats changed in that time? And why has it changed? Boehly & Eghbali’s decision making has heavily influenced where we’ve ended up. Its as cut and dry as that. Yes players haven’t performed great but there is so much other shit wrong before even looking at the players. And that stems from the higher ups. I mean anybody who thought going from TT to GP was going to rescue top 4/6 needed their head checked on day 1, yet alone 4 months ago.

I mean yeah, a top top manager with a couple of key additions and clearing out this bloated squad could turn the ship slightly but personally, I feel that a lot is going to depend a lot on how much of an influence these 2 clowns upstairs decide they want to have - they just cant help themselves. They are the biggest concern for me more than anything else. This supposed collection of expert footballing people they’ve installed have got a point to prove also. Other than Badiashile and Enzo, they’ve got a poor record so far. Mudryk, Nadueke, Felix seem like they were unnecessary additions - nothing different to what we had and they’ve not made a meaningful impact. 

I have to be honest, I think the January transfer window was great, almost all the buys we did. Summer was bad and I blame that on Tuchel. 

That being said everything else stand. If we get a good coach that will work with the younger players we should see some improvement next season. But get the manager right, can't be another Potter. 

My choice is Poch. He would be the perfect for what we have, and not to mention the instant connection of Poch and Enzo would be good. 

Edited by Fernando