Sergio Aguero

milka

On 07/04/2021 at 07:23, Strike said:

Please not another 30+ striker. Makes a big difference to the press having Aguero/Giroud and a younger, agile striker. Just bring in someone in their prime - If not Haaland then someone else in the prime age bracket

Martinez

• 4 weeks later...

I would be all for it. Free transfer, proven one of the best goalscorers in EPL history... He still has a lot to offer I feel. However he should be ready to play a squad role, not expect undisputed starting role. If both Giroud and Tammy leave (they probably will if we sign a striker), he would be competing with Havertz and Werner for the ST position, so there is a good chance he can make the position his own if he manages to stay fit. He'd be a great band-aid for 1-2 seasons until we find a more permanent solution.

Having said that, I don't think he will stay in England, he will most likely end up in Barca.

In my opinion this transfer could work out. I see Havertz as a long-term option as a false nine. I think our general play upfront would be so much better when Havertz plays this position than say someone like Haaland. Pulisic and our other wingers profit much more when playing with Kai. 

Aguero could be a good option for flat-track bullying (which is a problem under Tuchel so far) for two seasons. Similar to Cavani at United. 

3 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

We don't need new striker. 

Inclined to agree but just going off the assumption/rumors that the club will look for one - Haaland or no Haaland. 

Havertz and Werner will surely improve next season but if we choose not to buy a striker I think we’ll have a mirror season to this current one. Battling until the very end of the season for 4th. Yes, we can can get by fine but we won’t push for the PL title with our current setup.

City and Liverpool haven’t played with a traditional #9 and won the league in recent season but the difference between them and us is that they get loads of goals from 3-4 different players. 

So if we don’t get an outright striker we at least need another goal scorer of some kind.

20 minutes ago, Jas said:

Inclined to agree but just going off the assumption/rumors that the club will look for one - Haaland or no Haaland. 

The problem is beyond the first couple of options such as Kane and Haaland, in my opinion the drop off in striking options is alarming. With that in mind maybe Tuchel continues to look at developing us without a focal point striker and instead just a fluid front 3 who have licence to change and rotate positions.

I think we need another player. Whether it's an out and out striker, or another attacking option because I think Giroud and Tammy will both leave this summer.

On 14/05/2021 at 20:46, Superblue_1986 said:

The problem is beyond the first couple of options such as Kane and Haaland, in my opinion the drop off in striking options is alarming. With that in mind maybe Tuchel continues to look at developing us without a focal point striker and instead just a fluid front 3 who have licence to change and rotate positions.

Precisely. There is no clear and obvious target once we look beyond Haaland, Kane or even Lukaku. 

Lukaku won't leave Inter unless their financial worsens and/or Conte leaves the club.

Kane also seems very unlikely given there is Daniel Levy in the way and would Kane dare to cross the divide given he's a Spurs man?

Haaland is the most obtainable out of the three but if Dortmund do qualify for the Champions League, will he leave? Will Dortmund sell this summer? They already made it clear they won't back down from their 150m+ asking price. Can anyone afford it this summer? On top of that, while Haaland may be a clinical finisher in Germany, can he replicate those numbers in England? He's posting a similar number of goals and big chances missed like with Werner last season in the Bundesliga, for example, and we've seen what happened with the latter this term. And how realistic is it to expect a 20-year-old to spearhead the challenge to win the Premier League and Champions League?

It's easier said than done but the last 2 Premier League champions - Man City this season and Liverpool last season - have shown that a team can win the league without having a proper striker leading the line, so as long as the other players contribute their fair share of goals. Last season, Firmino only scored 9 league goals while Mane and Salah contributed 18 and 19 respectively. This season, Jesus and Aguero have scored only 8 and 2 league goals respectively but they have Gundogan on 12, Sterling on 10, Mahrez with 9, Foden on 7 etc. We should know this better too considering Drogba only scored more than 12 league goals TWICE in 9 seasons at the club and we managed to win the league 4 times during that period.

If Tuchel wants to stick with the back 3 next season, then he might need to find players who are better suited to the system in some areas. Otherwise, he might need to switch to a back 4, get another attacking player on the field so that we can get more goals. 

On 14/05/2021 at 09:32, Jas said:

So, Aguero to Barcelona and if Haaland stays at Dortmund, then what?

It's up to our recruitment team to find someone. There's always someone suitable out there especially for system based set ups like ours.

I know it's a different position but if someone last year suggested Wesley Forfana as the big CB option the two reactions from people would have been "who" or "lol" and look at him now. As nice as it's been to have Silva here the former would have been an excellent addition in hindsight..

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You