• Jorginho
    • Kovacic
    • Mount
    • Giroud
    • Werner
    • Alonso (sub)
    • Hudson-Odoi (sub)
    • Kante (sub)

I am not going to rage on Rudiger for the next 3, 5 days, we won, and hopefully he learned a lesson to never get cute with a ball near the goal

I want to be positive, not some bitter twat like I see in all the stream chats and on twitter

Edited by Vesper

Ugly ugly win and very careful approach by Tuchel. I'll take it of course, but hoping to see more attacking players involved. I miss Ziyech and Pulisic.

Really hope Kante can up his game and when Silva returns to maybe switch to 4-2-3-1...

20 minutes ago, Vesper said:

he did make some GREAT defensive plays though

All of that becomes somewhat irrelevant when he single handedly brought them back into the game, which gave them a lot of confidence to go forward especially later on when we didn't have a striker on.

10 minutes ago, different level said:

All of that becomes somewhat irrelevant when he single handedly brought them back into the game, which gave them a lot of confidence to go forward especially later on when we didn't have a striker on.

we won, I am over it, as long as he doesn't do it again

I was worried when I saw Christensen in the lineup against Sheffield United, knowing they are quite physical, but I thought he was very good today. Dealt with everything his way. Hence voted him MOTM.

this is basically the 4th time in a row where we face a physically far superior side. It’s still football and we are technical enough to play our way around a bulky midfield and defence but I would really prefer to have a bit more combative energy in the middle in the future. We really should take this into account in the transfer market in summer. In the Good old days Drogba, Essien, Lampard, Terry we never would get physically bullied. Even under conte we were a fairly resilient. Guys like Jorginho, Alonso, Christensen who can’t run, can’t get a heavy tackle in and are not even that good on the ball are what brought us into a position where we are strugong for top 4 every season. We got away with it yesterday. We might get away with it vs most bottom half teams but it is no coincidence we have failed to impose ourselves in big matches vs aggressive teams for quite some time now. When you are not in control of games on a physical level like today you can always concede a stupid goal from a long ball Doesn’t need to be Mourinho style giants team but players who can do bith technical and physical stuff. This is why signings like Rice, Zakaria, Süle are more like it for the future. No English team has ever won shit without a fair share of strong lads when you think about it. The invincibles arsenal went downhill after guys like viera left, we haven’t challenged big since not properly replacing matic and Costa. Think about it. 

By no means the best of performances, but a huge win. With Leicester and Liverpool playing each other next, a win at home to Newcastle could have us right back in the mix amongst those two. 

I think Tuchel has done the right thing, he's put in place a structure that has so far made us look defensively solid and in a position to control the midfield. Sheffield United stopped us playing out the back in the first half, but I felt in the second half we had much more control and besides Rudiger's cock up I didn't feel like we were under much threat. 

There definitely needs to be some improvement in the attacking play. Whilst we wrestled control in the second half, Jorginho seemed to revert back to slowing down the play, in comparison to the Burnley and Spurs games where he was looking to pass the ball quicker and forward with more regularity.

The first goal was really superb football all round and shows what we are capable of, but currently there's just not enough of that. I think though over time Tuchel will get that side of the game becoming far more fluid and dangerous.