Edouard Mendy

Jase

10 hours ago, Vesper said:

the main talk (at least from me) was about a better backup as Mendy goes to that fucking AFCON bollocks for a month or so

but we are stuck with Kepa

Oblak is the only remotely available keeper who is better than Mendy, and he is nearing the point were it makes zero sense to buy him, as he turns 30 years old right after the WC end next near, will cost £103m for his release clause, and will not come without a 7 year contact on £400K PW wages. At that age (or any age IMHO) he is NOT worth a quarter of a BILLION quid.

the only WC keepers atm are

Jan Oblak   
Gianluigi Donnarumma    
Thibaut Courtois  
Alisson    

Marc-André ter Stegen    
Ederson  

and you could make case for
Edouard Mendy 

Another bizarre fact:

ALL in bold red will be 29 years old come January 7th, and Ederson will be 29 next summer.

PLUS the next one on my list, Emiliano Martínez, is 29 now too!

A bit lower down the list, Nick Pope, Alphonse Areola (in February), Koen Casteels, Mattia Perin (in 8 weeks), and Leno are or soon will be 29yo as well.

Neuer and Schmeichel would round out my top 10 and are coming towards the end of their peak years.

1992/93 (especially 1992) were insane years for keepers being born, of the top 8 atm, only Donnarumma was not born in either of the two.

Keepers born in 1992

1150b76a035510c3ad5f80f4be3f29a3.png

Keepers born in 1993

261ec7fbf6348198cfcb8a89ca3c0df2.png

Has Neuer fallen off?

idk If anyone is better than Mendy as a pure GK, but guys like Ederson, Alisson, and Ter Stegen are very valuable for their ability on the ball. 

i wouldn’t take Oblak or Courtois over Mendy.

13 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Has Neuer fallen off?

idk If anyone is better than Mendy as a pure GK, but guys like Ederson, Alisson, and Ter Stegen are very valuable for their ability on the ball. 

I dont give a fuck if a goalie can pass a ball tbh. Mendy is a great shot stopper regardless of range and also very commanding in the box.

1 hour ago, Clockwork said:

Has Neuer fallen off?

Neuer is still absolute world class. i don't like the guy, he is a psycho and an arrogrant egomaniac but he is still one of the top 5 goalies in the world and his abilities have not really declined too much. He is probably as good a shot stopper as Mendy still but better with his feet. Based on his performances in the 2 seasons prior to last, i would have Alisson as best goalie but i have not seen as much of him last season so i might be wrong. Ter Stegen is a bit overrated imo. He is capable of the most spectacular saves but he makes unusually many stupid errors for a WC goalie.

23 hours ago, Vesper said:

the main talk (at least from me) was about a better backup as Mendy goes to that fucking AFCON bollocks for a month or so

but we are stuck with Kepa

Kepa had a horrible second season under Lampard, but last season he showed he could be counted on when he is needed. Decent backup IMO.

Who should we sign for second choice GK? World class GK won't accept substitute role.. Looking at our rivals' men - Steffen, Kelleher, Henderson - they are not doing better in this area.

2 hours ago, nyikolajevics said:

Kepa had a horrible second season under Lampard, but last season he showed he could be counted on when he is needed. Decent backup IMO.

Who should we sign for second choice GK? World class GK won't accept substitute role.. Looking at our rivals' men - Steffen, Kelleher, Henderson - they are not doing better in this area.

Kepa is our backup keeper until and if we sell him

hopefully Marcus Bettinelli is a decent 3rd keeper

and, lolol

he is ANOTHER 29yo keeper born in 1992

it really is crazy

the only thing worrying me about GKer is that fucking AFCON month off shite for Mendy

crazy that he is not the starting French keeper by now, but he went for a sure play thing with Senegal

Bettinelli is a big unit btw, almost as big as Cech

Marcus Bettinelli has opened up on his move from Fulham to Chelsea as he  joins the Blues on a two-year deal and here is what he has said - Sports  Illustrated Chelsea

32 minutes ago, Vesper said:

the only thing worrying me about GKer is that fucking AFCON month off shite for Mendy

crazy that he is not the starting French keeper by now, but he went for a sure play thing with Senegal

Méndys first appearance for Senegal was in 2018, at the age of 26, when he was playig in Reims in League 2. Can't blame him he was not expecting call-up from Deschamps...

It's gonna be a tough couple of weeks without him and Ziyech, but Liverpool will be hit much harder with Salahs, Manés and Naby Keitas absence.

On 12/09/2021 at 04:14, Vesper said:

and comes back covid positive, which would take him out for another couple of weeks at least. ☹️

Dunno what's worse, AFCON or Copa America. I guess the latter at least has Argentina and Brazil, but it's just as poorly organized.

Edited by robsblubot

On 13/09/2021 at 14:15, nyikolajevics said:

Méndys first appearance for Senegal was in 2018, at the age of 26, when he was playig in Reims in League 2. Can't blame him he was not expecting call-up from Deschamps...

It's gonna be a tough couple of weeks without him and Ziyech, but Liverpool will be hit much harder with Salahs, Manés and Naby Keitas absence.

And Matip

5 hours ago, Stats said:

He retired from national duty. In any case they are well stocked at CB anyway.

Cameroon's coach tried to recall him, so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't accept the change for AFCON. 

Also, their CB situation could be very different in 3 months.

• 1 month later...