Mikel John Obi

Badboy

He is playing for Oscar, so I don't think we should demand much more... The team is a lot more balanced with Ramires or Mikel, and Fabregas is a lot better than Oscar in any position. If we want to play with Cesc in the pivot we need a better number 10.

Mikel is doing ok. He is a defensive player and he does that. Fabregas is magician but still can defend... others can't do their job.

We have? :blink:

Yesterday was one of our best away performances this season. That's not just my opinion but what most people and all the pundits were saying. And I think it is rather evident that the reason we won yesterday was that because we completely dominated the midfield, and in particular, Mikel and Matic dominating Cameron and Nzonzi, which was very clear in the numbers:

Untitled.png

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/15116/9617766/premier-league-chelsea-show-the-fighting-spirit-in-their-2-0-win-at-stoke-that-can-take-them-to-the-title

I get why some people don't like to see Mikel in the team. He's not a very 'elegant' player and he's far from dynamic. He's not exactly easy on the eye. But he can be a very effective player and can certainly contribute to the team as he has done in the past few matches. Isn't that what matters in the end?

In no way we were the oiled machine that dominates the midfield involving opposition with a fluid attacking play. We were good bullying them . They didn't have a good response for an early goal. It was a solid match but far from what we were producing a couple of months ago. Willian created nothing, no need to mention Mikel. Hazard and Cesc were good but worse than usual. Sorry if tackles aren't the only thing nor the main thing I want to see in the team. They're important just fine, but our midfield should make the headlines for other reasons.

I look at the latest matches and it's been the same story. We were dominating teams by playing a smooth football, now we're shutting them with tackles and interceptions. We can and should do better.

We have? :blink:

Yesterday was one of our best away performances this season. That's not just my opinion but what most people and all the pundits were saying. And I think it is rather evident that the reason we won yesterday was that because we completely dominated the midfield, and in particular, Mikel and Matic dominating Cameron and Nzonzi, which was very clear in the numbers:

Untitled.png

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/15116/9617766/premier-league-chelsea-show-the-fighting-spirit-in-their-2-0-win-at-stoke-that-can-take-them-to-the-title

I get why some people don't like to see Mikel in the team. He's not a very 'elegant' player and he's far from dynamic. He's not exactly easy on the eye. But he can be a very effective player and can certainly contribute to the team as he has done in the past few matches. Isn't that what matters in the end?

I thought we were talking about football, you know, sport where 11 play (or say 10 play and one watches:)), but apparently we have moved on to tennis doubles? I'm a pretty decent (just like Mikel!) tennis player having played it since very young... game on! :)

Mikel is surrounded by fantastically expensive world class players (Matic included) while Zonzi is one of the few players they've got who can actually pass the ball in tight spaces. No, he's not great, but neither is Mikel.

Stoke is 13th for a reason.

In no way we were the oiled machine that dominates the midfield involving opposition with a fluid attacking play. We were good bullying them . They didn't have a good response for an early goal. It was a solid match but far from what we were producing a couple of months ago. Willian created nothing, no need to mention Mikel. Hazard and Cesc were good but worse than usual. Sorry if tackles aren't the only thing nor the main thing I want to see in the team. They're important just fine, but our midfield should make the headlines for other reasons.

I look at the latest matches and it's been the same story. We were dominating teams by playing a smooth football, now we're shutting them with tackles and interceptions. We can and should do better.

Silky passing doesn't mean a better performance. We played silky passing and played record number of passes against Sunderland and that was probably our worst performance of the season. In contrast, yesterday we went to one of the most difficult places in the league, looked very comfortable for about 85 mins of the 90.

We did not have any issues creating. We had 13 shots, 7 on target, and created a lot of chances and really should have scored 4 or 5. I honestly can't think of many better away performances this season, not recently or two months ago.

I thought we were talking about football, you know, sport where 11 play (or say 10 play and one watches:)), but apparently we have moved on to tennis doubles? I'm a pretty decent (just like Mikel!) tennis player having played it since very young... game on! :)

Mikel is surrounded by fantastically expensive world class players (Matic included) while Zonzi is one of the few players they've got who can actually pass the ball in tight spaces. No, he's not great, but neither is Mikel.

I honestly don't get what your point is here.

The point was Barbara made a point that we did not dominate midfield, I used those numbers to show that we pretty clearly did because, obviously, the team whose central midfielders won all the tackles, made all the interceptions and gained back possession more is the team that dominated the midfield.

Silky passing doesn't mean a better performance. We played silky passing and played record number of passes against Sunderland and that was probably our worst performance of the season. In contrast, yesterday we went to one of the most difficult places in the league, looked very comfortable for about 85 mins of the 90.

We did not have any issues creating. We had 13 shots, 7 on target, and created a lot of chances and really should have scored 4 or 5. I honestly can't think of many better away performances this season, not recently or two months ago.

I honestly don't get what your point is here.

The point was Barbara made a point that we did not dominate midfield, I used those numbers to show that we pretty clearly did because, obviously, the team whose central midfielders won all the tackles, made all the interceptions and gained back possession more is the team that dominated the midfield.

Fair enough. Well, this is the Mikel thread and your post seemed a bit self-serving. :)

We dominated the second ball with all the help of pretty much all attackers sometimes seen next to Matic and Mikel battling in the midfield. We did NOT dominate the game though. We created next to nothing up front, and the whole strategy was helped by the brilliance of John terry (and Stoke's poor defending). I am almost curious to know how that lineup would fare when chasing a result.

Stoke is a poor side and we did nothing more than our obligation. I'd say we controlled the game, but did not dominate it. And Courtois saved our asses in that deflected shot.

Mikel had a solid game and his inclusion made a lot of sense in an away game at Stoke.

I don't think we missed Oscar at all, not even a little bit.

That's not the point (missing Oscar) but having him and Willian limited us creatively, if you read my posts on the subject for this match was to have Schurrle, but he disrupts our style.

My main complaint is general. I said more than once Mikel did well on what he's good. We shouldn't have played Willian (nor Oscar).

At Stoke what matters is winning, no matter how. But we've playing Mikel for the last what? Four matches? We need someone who has more to offer than defensive skills to replace Cesc in the pivot

Smooth football does not translate into wins though, especially away from home.

We could use Cesc in pivot yesterday and dominate possession, but we would be instantly weaker in defense.

Whenever Stoke applied any pressure we had two DM's waiting to break up play, this is how you win at such grounds.

If Costa takes his chances the game could have ended 4-0 - we barely even score that much when we play our smooth football.

And we still until a couple of weeks ago we had not lost a match.

Seriously, this idea that smooth football doesn't win matches is ridiculous. We were winning just fine. I agree we needed him against Stoke, but him and Willian is nearly impossible to watch through the frustration

Fair enough. Well, this is the Mikel thread and your post seemed a bit self-serving. :)

We dominated the second ball with all the help of pretty much all attackers sometimes seen next to Matic and Mikel battling the midfield. We did NOT dominate the game though. We created next to nothing up front, and the whole strategy was helped by the brilliance of John terry (and Stoke's poor defending). I am almost curious to know how that lineup would fare when chasing a result.

Stoke is a poor side and we did nothing more than our obligation. I'd say we controlled the game, but did not dominate it. And Courtois saved our asses in that deflected shot.

Wait, I'm not saying that Mikel single-handedly dominated the midfield! The point that Barbara made was about the team as whole and my response was about the team as whole. Meaning, that the dominance of the team was evident in the numbers of Mikel and Matic. It wasn't down just to them, nor obviously was it the case that they had nothing to do with it. Both contributed a lot to that midfield dominance but it was due to a team effort. I hope I cleared that one up.

Sorry, but "created nothing up front" is simply factually in correct. Aside from the goals, Hazard created 3-4 very dangerous chances in the first half, then there are obviously the two Costa chances, as well as a couple of chance for each of Willian and Schurrle where they just made the wrong final decision. In the first half in particular we really should have scored at least 1 or 2 more. All this and we were in front from practically the start. So, no, I think it's very objective to say that we did not have any trouble creating chances.

And Stoke are NOT a poor side. Especially not at home. They might not play silky passing football, but they are brutally effective. I think the stat that I heard on the TV yesterday was that they have only last twice in the Britania to the top 4 teams in the past 3 seasons. Just a few days ago they completely destroyed Arsenal there. Every neutral and all the pundits hailed the performance, even the usual pessimists on here miraculously had no complaints. Must we really create imaginary criticism and belittle what was an excellent away performance just because Mikel was playing?

Wait, I'm not saying that Mikel single-handedly dominated the midfield! The point that Barbara made was about the team as whole and my response was about the team as whole. Meaning, that the dominance of the team was evident in the numbers of Mikel and Matic. It wasn't down just to them, nor obviously was it the case that they had nothing to do with it. Both contributed a lot to that midfield dominance but it was due to a team effort. I hope I cleared that one up.

Sorry, but "created nothing up front" is simply factually in correct. Aside from the goals, Hazard created 3-4 very dangerous chances in the first half, then there are obviously the two Costa chances, as well as a couple of chance for each of Willian and Schurrle where they just made the wrong final decision. In the first half in particular we really should have scored at least 1 or 2 more. All this and we were in front from practically the start. So, no, I think it's very objective to say that we did not have any trouble creating chances.

And Stoke are NOT a poor side. Especially not at home. They might not play silky passing football, but they are brutally effective. I think the stat that I heard on the TV yesterday was that they have only last twice in the Britania to the top 4 teams in the past 3 seasons. Just a few days ago they completely destroyed Arsenal there. Every neutral and all the pundits hailed the performance, even the usual pessimists on here miraculously had no complaints. Must we really create imaginary criticism and belittle what was an excellent away performance just because Mikel was playing?

Fair enough on the original point you made - my misunderstanding.

My point is that there is no Costa run or Fabregas goal had we not been ahead, and Stoke chasing. They opened up a bit which allowed us to counter them. Again thanks to John Terry brilliant kick-off header.

Disagree on Stoke. They are very poor this season as the standings show. Toughest match of late was Newcastle and we lost that one.

I just want to be cautious here as I still think City has better subs for when their key players are unavailable. We've been lucky so far (yes healthy squad), but we will be playing very often from now on.

Fair enough on the original point you made - my misunderstanding.

My point is that there is no Costa run or Fabregas goal had we not been ahead and Stoke chasing. They opened up a bit which allowed us to counter them. Again thanks to John Terry brilliant kick-off header.

Disagree on Stoke. They are very poor this season as the standings show. Toughest match of late was Newcastle and we lost that one.

I just want to be cautious here as I still think City has better subs for when their key players are unavailable. We've been lucky so far, but we will be playing very often from now on.

If JT had not scored, Mikel would have got a 40-yard screamer into the top corner a few minutes later! :P

There is no point for hypotheticals in a match like that. We only played a minute and a half before we scored and in that small time we actually did create a chance as the corner from which the goal came from was made after an excellent build-up and some very good football. So there is literally nothing to suggest that we would have struggled to create had we not scored early.

I think "lucky" would be discrediting the amazing work of our medical team (if I did understand correctly that you meant the lack of injuries). That team has done exceptionally well in the past three seasons and deserve a lot of credit.

But of course there is an element of luck. City are very much in the title race and I was saying so when we were 8 points ahead. They have the better squad, but we have the better manager who is capable of making most of the players over-perform. City can of course win the title, but we are still favorites imo, even if we do suffer a few injuries because 1) we are capable of performing without any one player and 2) we are top of the table with the tougher half of the season gone. We play all the typically big teams, except for Arsenal, at the Bridge in the second half of the season.

Personally, I'm optimistic :)

That's not the point (missing Oscar) but having him and Willian limited us creatively, if you read my posts on the subject for this match was to have Schurrle, but he disrupts our style.

My main complaint is general. I said more than once Mikel did well on what he's good. We shouldn't have played Willian (nor Oscar).

Schurrle wasn't missed yesterday either - not once during the game did I think 'we could really do with Schurrle here'.

I don't think Willian and Mikel limited us creatively us when we scored 2 and should have had even more. And we still had enough match-winners in Hazard, Fabregas and Costa.

Schurrle can't keep possession well enough (something which Willian does really well) and defensively he isn't as strong as Willian either.

But we've playing Mikel for the last what? Four matches? We need someone who has more to offer than defensive skills to replace Cesc in the pivot

A freer Fabregas makes up for all of Mikel's shortcomings. I don't disagree that we need somebody who offers more than just defence in the pivot but until we go out and buy that player Mikel is the best solution. I also think he's being integrated into the team now in preparation for the Champions League.

Ultimately, I think Oscar is more of a squad player than most are willing to accept.

Someone posted recently to argue that we need quality backups in the AM positions. My own view is that, Hazard apart, we already have plenty of backup quality players in that area. What we need is more AMs of the appropriate quality to be starting for Chelsea.