Mikel John Obi

Badboy

Is it just me or does Mikel seem to have more bad performances than good?. if so, isn't that the very definition of a player not good enough for Chelsea?, i always supported Mikel but even i have lost confidence and patience in him.

Come on. This is literally his first bad performance this season. Granted he was terrible yesterday, but still, what are all those bad performances in which he was very bad in this season? Can you name them?

Come on. This is literally his first bad performance this season. Granted he was terrible yesterday, but still, what are all those bad performances in which he was very bad in this season? Can you name them?

Schalke at home. Also his performance against Spurs was pretty poor.

Schalke at home. Also his performance against Spurs was pretty poor.

The game we won 3-0 against an excellent team? :blink: He can't have been that bad. And against Spurs he was as poor as everyone else in that first half. You can't single him out.

Point it is, Mikel has been the most consistent of our pivot players this season, granted that he has had a lesser role than Rami and Frank. But Frank has had as many bad games as good ones if not more and even Rami has had a games were he was pretty bad, especially recently. Saying that Mikel has had more bad games than good when the other players have been far more inconsistent is an example of the double-standards that most use against John.

The game we won 3-0 against an excellent team? :blink: He can't have been that bad. And against Spurs he was as poor as everyone else in that first half. You can't single him out.

Point it is, Mikel has been the most consistent of our pivot players this season, granted that he has had a lesser role than Rami and Frank. But Frank has had as many bad games as good ones if not more and even Rami has had a games were he was pretty bad, especially recently. Saying that Mikel has had more bad games than good when the other players have been far more inconsistent is an example of the double-standards that most use against John.

i just hope rambo is not a member of this forum and never reads this cos he would just end up killing himself.

i just hope rambo is not a member of this forum and never reads this cos he would just end up killing himself.

I didn't say Mikel has been our best player in the pivot, I said he has been our most consistent. In the last month, Rami has been blowing hot and cold. Despite that he remains our best pivot player, but he has lost the consistency he had at the start of the season, probably because of the lack of rest he's getting.

I didn't say Mikel has been our best player in the pivot, I said he has been our most consistent. In the last month, Rami has been blowing hot and cold. Despite that he remains our best pivot player, but he has lost the consistency he had at the start of the season, probably because of the lack of rest he's getting.

consistent in what dude?? giving 6/10 performances!!! i know you are a mikel fan but give credit where its due. ramires has been one of our POTY so far. only players i can think ahead of him would be oscar and probably hazard. he has consistently been giving 8/10 performances and even on a bad day he makes most of it up thru his running and tackling. to compare rambo's performances this season to that put up by mikel and to say that mikel has been more consistent, is nothing short of blashpemy for me!!!

consistent in what dude?? giving 6/10 performances!!! i know you are a mikel fan but give credit where its due. ramires has been one of our POTY so far. only players i can think ahead of him would be oscar and probably hazard. he has consistently been giving 8/10 performances and even on a bad day he makes most of it up thru his running and tackling. to compare rambo's performances this season to that put up by mikel and to say that mikel has been more consistent, is nothing short of blashpemy for me!!!

Again, you're missing my point. I just said that Rami has been our best pivot player. Consistently putting in 6-7/10 is still consistency which is what we were discussing. Mikel has not been brilliant (except maybe in the Everton game) but he has been good in almost every game up until yesterday.

Thing with Mikel is he is 'alright' I'm sorry but we need better than 'alright' we need someone that is consistent more often than not and someone we can look to and quite consistently say....."rock solid again" and not 'he did alright' because most of the time he does do alright, but we are litered with top notch players that now and in the future have a massive ceiling, Mikel, for me, isn't that, we need much better.

I'm all for giving one of our other young lads a crack, and this is my opinion but we can do much better than Mikel.

Again, you're missing my point. I just said that Rami has been our best pivot player. Consistently putting in 6-7/10 is still consistency which is what we were discussing. Mikel has not been brilliant (except maybe in the Everton game) but he has been good in almost every game up until yesterday.

he has been consistently average in almost every game until last night.

the level of at which mikel is "consistently" playig is not the level that is expected of our players, and the fact that he is being displaced by a 35 year old lamps at his own game, for his own spot goes on to say a lot.

and please dont use this "mikel get the stick for no reason" thing. have a look at the FL thread. look at people having a go at him. people here (except for phil, obviously) have given mikel the benefit of the doubt plenty of times before but he has almost always failed to deliver.

He has failed to deliver for over 3 years now.. he's lost all the playmaking abilities that endeared us to him when he came to Chelsea. We need a man with a spine and the ability to make things happen going forward, not this guy, sadly.

he has been consistently average in almost every game until last night.

the level of at which mikel is "consistently" playig is not the level that is expected of our players, and the fact that he is being displaced by a 35 year old lamps at his own game, for his own spot goes on to say a lot.

and please dont use this "mikel get the stick for no reason" thing. have a look at the FL thread. look at people having a go at him. people here (except for phil, obviously) have given mikel the benefit of the doubt plenty of times before but he has almost always failed to deliver.

That wasn't really the point here, though, was it? The point was about consistency. Saying that Mikel is consistently playing at a level below that which is expected of our players is obviously not true. If that were the case he would not have played in 18 of our 24 matches so far this season.

Mikel had his first bad game for us this season yesterday. Granted he wasn't brilliant in the games before, but he was consistently 6-7/10 as you put it. And on the first bad game a whole lot of people come here saying stuff like he should go while our other pivot players have had more bad games this season than John. That's what I meant by double-standards.

That wasn't really the point here, though, was it? The point was about consistency. Saying that Mikel is consistently playing at a level below that which is expected of our players is obviously not true. If that were the case he would not have played in 18 of our 24 matches so far this season.

Mikel had his first bad game for us this season yesterday. Granted he wasn't brilliant in the games before, but he was consistently 6-7/10 as you put it. And on the first bad game a whole lot of people come here saying stuff like he should go while our other pivot players have had more bad games this season than John. That's what I meant by double-standards.

double standards!!! what double standards??? agains i would simply go back to a previous point of simply having a peak at the FL thread and see how many people have critisized him and asked for lamps to simply retire and never play football again.

but to be honest, i would expect a few poor performances creeping into lamps game when he is playing 3 games a week at the age of 35 years. on the other hand, mikel is 26, prime of his career, peak of his physical fitness, and yet if this is the best he can do then i am sorry, we deserve better. honestly, i cant see the difference in keeping chalobah/romeu instead of him, i am sure they would be capable of giving those 6-7/10 consistent performances too but unfortunately we need much more than that from the only recognized DM in our squad.

double standards!!! what double standards??? agains i would simply go back to a previous point of simply having a peak at the FL thread and see how many people have critisized him and asked for lamps to simply retire and never play football again.

but to be honest, i would expect a few poor performances creeping into lamps game when he is playing 3 games a week at the age of 35 years. on the other hand, mikel is 26, prime of his career, peak of his physical fitness, and yet if this is the best he can do then i am sorry, we deserve better. honestly, i cant see the difference in keeping chalobah/romeu instead of him, i am sure they would be capable of giving those 6-7/10 consistent performances too but unfortunately we need much more than that from the only recognized DM in our squad.

That's because Frank has not been himself since the injury in 2010. Since then he has struggled to find a run of form. And this season he has had some truly terrible games. It wasn't just one or two. It was a whole bunch of very bad games. That's why a lot of people are criticizing his performances now. But Mikel is getting stick and people want him gone after the first bad game this season.

Romeu? Chalobah?! Come on. You are underrating the level at which Chelsea play at beyond belief. I'm all for them being given a chance at Chelsea, but to say that a player who's played half a dozen games in the last year and another who can't get into a championship side can perform consistently at Chelsea is not at all realistic. It's not easy to perform, what you are calling "average", consistently at this level. Those two are very far from regular first team action with Chelsea. Maybe Oriol would be close if he continues the rest of the season like he has played the past couple of games and continues to be a nailed on starter for Valencia.

Exactly people are shanking the dagger into Mikel's back after one poor performance whilst conveniently being oblivious that his midfield partner was and has been poor. The quicker we get Lampard out of the starting 11 in the CM/DM role the better.

I

That's because Frank has not been himself since the injury in 2010. Since then he has struggled to find a run of form. And this season he has had some truly terrible games. It wasn't just one or two. It was a whole bunch of very bad games. That's why a lot of people are criticizing his performances now. But Mikel is getting stick and people want him gone after the first bad game this season.

Romeu? Chalobah?! Come on. You are underrating the level at which Chelsea play at beyond belief. I'm all for them being given a chance at Chelsea, but to say that a player who's played half a dozen games in the last year and another who can't get into a championship side can perform consistently at Chelsea is not at all realistic. It's not easy to perform, what you are calling "average", consistently at this level. Those two are very far from regular first team action with Chelsea. Maybe Oriol would be close if he continues the rest of the season like he has played the past couple of games and continues to be a nailed on starter for Valencia.

Do you really believe the stuff you right ?

Yes the game where we won 3-0, also the same game where Cech made a string of saves in the 1st half to keep us in it and the game were Mikel turned over possession three times, to put that into perspective, the only other players who lost possession that many times were all offensive players and out of all the defensive players, including Ramires, Mikel received the lowest rating on WhoScored. So yes, he was that bad.

Our most consistent midfielder? Really interested to know what basis you're using to gauge that - surely it can't be the 8 PL & CL matches he's only managed a start in? Look, I generally agree that Mikel has been 'good' (and I use that term loosely, because I think he's only been better this season compared to last than 'good') but calling him our most consistent midfielder in the pivot when he's only started (if i'm not mistaken) 5 games in the league is ludicrous in every sense of the word. You might not think that Lampard & Ramires have been consistent or that Lampard deserves to be starting over Mikel, but the stats disagree. They both consistently average more tackles per game than Mikel does, they both work harder than he does and offensively, they're far better than him. Your argument really has no basis to it.