• Kovacic
    • Hazard
    • Pedro
    • Giroud
    • Willian (sub)
    • Barkley (sub)
    • Zappacosta (sub)

Arsene Wenger joins criticism of Uefa over Henrikh Mkhitaryan’s Baku decision

Former Arsenal manager believes ‘it is not normal’ to give a European final where certain players cannot travel to due to political reasons

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/europa-league-final-arsenal-vs-chelsea-news-arsene-wenger-uefa-criticism-henrikh-mkhitaryan-a8928156.html

On 21/05/2019 at 0:04 PM, Vesper said:

yes!

It is not even remotely in EUROPE ffs, it is in Asia, it is right next to Iran, lololol

Madness on UEFA's part

Union of European Football Associations

smdh

478dab6ae967bd0ba88513793a3e4838.png40bd8c1c1d7cf41106898c56bbe24d93.png

Just noticed between Armenia and Azerbaijan the Uefa delegates most of stayed here when they decided to pick Baku for the final :)

2 hours ago, ulsterchelsea said:

And what's this shite about us not holding a victory parade if we win? Do we reckon we're above celebrating this? A trophy is a trophy and when I was a kid I didn't see too many of them. Think you should enjoy and celebrate every bit of silverware

It's the locals and the local councils I'm afraid these parades have to be agreed between Hammersmith and Fulham and Kensington and Chelsea. No other club has to negotiate between two councils which is another factor in the rebuilding and why it's proving so difficult. I've been to nearly all the parades the best was the first in 97 (pic below) but we never had one in 2007 when we won the two cups. I think it will only be if we win the premier league or champions league from now on. Plus if Spurs win we can't have one not on the Sunday anyway.

7666d81f8b5bdf51397de2e53929e9c5.jpg

1 hour ago, Iggy Doonican said:

It's the locals and the local councils I'm afraid these parades have to be agreed between Hammersmith and Fulham and Kensington and Chelsea. No other club has to negotiate between two councils which is another factor in the rebuilding and why it's proving so difficult. I've been to nearly all the parades the best was the first in 97 (pic below) but we never had one in 2007 when we won the two cups. I think it will only be if we win the premier league or champions league from now on. Plus if Spurs win we can't have one not on the Sunday anyway.

Fair enough then I suppose. Just feel this could have been sorted if there had been some foresight

1 hour ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Yeah we didn't last time we won it either. Or when we just won the FA Cup. Not sure why like say organising issues and maybe not as much of a major trophy to go to effort for? Know arsenal do theirs that time. 

Shame cause trophies a trophy! 

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

Chelsea fans slam club over UEL final fiasco

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/chelsea/story/3860602/chelsea-fans-slam-club-over-uel-final-fiasco

The Chelsea Supporters' Trust (CST) have criticised the club for failing to help or show solidarity with their supporters ahead of the Europa League final against Arsenal in Baku on Wednesday, and accused official travel partner Thomas Cook of charging an "extortionate" price for flight packages to Azerbaijan.

Only around 1,500 of the original 6,000 tickets allocated to Chelsea for the final have been sold to season-ticket holders or members, with another 500 or so purchased by local supporters' clubs and the rest returned to UEFA. Arsenal have only sold around 4,000 tickets to their fans.

In a statement released on Friday, CST cited "unprecedented challenges" facing fans hoping to attend the game including the cost and complexity of travel arrangements, criticising UEFA for choosing a "totally unsuitable location" in Baku and adding that Chelsea have said and done nothing to assist their supporters.

"We are extremely disappointed that Chelsea FC have been unable or unwilling to help Chelsea supporters overcome the travel, expense and logistics in order for them to support the team in a European final," the statement read. "The lack of a statement from Chelsea FC is also disappointing.

"Arsenal FC issued a statementexpressing frustration and disappointment on behalf of their supporters; acknowledging the unsuitability of the venue, the challenges faced by supporters travelling to Baku and the need to ensure more care by UEFA in future venue selection.

"While this may not make any difference to UEFA's immediate decision-making, at the very least it sent out a message to their supporters that they were concerned about the difficulties they face and were on their side.

"A similar statement from Chelsea would have engendered some much-needed goodwill from the supporters."

snip

what a shit show, we are going to have as many supporters in a 70,000 seat stadium for major trophy final as Forest Green Rovers have for a mid-January League Two match with Grimsby

Club Statement:

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/05/24/chelsea-statement-on-baku

It's really going to hit home when if we win instead of thousands of Chelsea fans as in Munich and Amsterdam celebrating (basically half the stadium) we'll have about as many fans if we were playing Southampton at St Mary's in a stadium twice it's size absolute fucking liberty.