General Chelsea Stuff

23 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Why did we never see this type of energy for Ross Turnbull?

Ross Turnbull was probably a better goalkeeper lol

Also he was usually goalie 3, Hilario was gk 2 and he was just as terrible as Kepa and we often enough lost with him in goal like in the Community shield 2010 or that weird 2-4 vs City when he completely grabbed air several times

14 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

It's because Kepa played 7 games under Tuchel and had 5 clean sheets. In last 2 games he conceded 2 goals but he is not at fault for those. If our attackers delivered we would have won. 

Everything that happened under Lampard is forgotten and irrelevant. 

I berely missed Chelsea game in the last 20 years so ofc I know Turnbull but didn't used forums back then. 

I remember even Hilario delivered against Barca when Boulahrouz had Ronaldinho in pocket. 

While I accept he wasn't given the best platform to perform under Lampard, Edou also played half a season under the same manager and was still stocking up on clean sheets bar the final month.

The biggest problem with Kepa isn't the obvious mistakes he makes it's what he doesn't do. People can say all these long shots he lets fly past him are "unsavable" but if that's the case why aren't other keepers conceding these type of goals regularly? How many of those type of goals have Cech, Tibo and Edou shipped between them for us? I'm sure there's a couple more but off the top of my head I can actually think of only one for each keeper (the first Cech ever let in for us, the Henderson goal and Xhaka goal) which leads to one of two outcomes, either most of them aren't as unstoppable as made out or the opponents actually do pretty much think "fuck it it's Kepa". I mean even his distribution has gone to crap which was the main reason we even signed him.

It's not like he was being world class then suddenly turned shit, the signs were there under Sarri we just tried to convince ourselves it was a first season in England thing.

The problem is Kepa isn´t dependable over the course of a whole month. He might string 2-3 clean sheets together, but there´s always a great possibility of a disasterclass, especially when you consider our opponents next January.

Remember when Cech was out in 2010? This happened. I honestly thought we lost the league back then and I can easily see such scenario if we are in a title race next season.

9 minutes ago, Beigl said:

The problem is Kepa isn´t dependable over the course of a whole month. He might string 2-3 clean sheets together, but there´s always a great possibility of a disasterclass, especially when you consider our opponents next January.

Remember when Cech was out in 2010? This happened. I honestly thought we lost the league back then and I can easily see such scenario if we are in a title race next season.

And to add further to that, if City and/or Liverpool roll out beast mode again we'll have to keep up such a relentless pace to the point even one dropped game could prove fatal.

7 minutes ago, Tomo said:

And to add further to that, if City and/or Liverpool roll out beast mode again we'll have to keep up such a relentless pace to the point even one dropped game could prove fatal.

I don't see that happening again this coming season. City and Liverpool were miles ahead of everyone that year, I'd be surprised to see City match last season's total next year, let alone a team hitting 90+ points.

On 16/06/2021 at 16:41, Superblue_1986 said:

I don't see that happening again this coming season. City and Liverpool were miles ahead of everyone that year, I'd be surprised to see City match last season's total next year, let alone a team hitting 90+ points.

I hope not but you can never rule out Pep teams especially going on mental winning runs.

Even last year with a 'standard' title winning points total they broke the record for consecutive wins in all comps.

Edited by Tomo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure where to put this but with Rom returning, do you guys think that we will show more patience in future? Or is that why the Baker’s of this world are still hanging around?

Think of the players we’ve sold in recent years who have gone on to be class.

• 1 month later...

Japan 'step down from hosting the Club World Cup this year' as the country struggles with rising Covid-19 infections... and FIFA 'may now look to move the tournament back'

- The Club World Cup is currently in the midst of uncertainty after Japan's move 
- Japan will no longer host the tournament as they struggle with Covid infections 
- A possibility of holding matches with small crowds has also forced their hand 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9967877/Japan-step-hosting-Club-World-Cup-year-rising-Covid-19-infections.html

• 2 weeks later...

this is some bullshit if this happens

Rio is trying to host the FIFA Club World Cup in December, which means Brasil will have home field advantage AND get two teams again (like the first one in 2000, when it was two Brasilian teams in the final) as the Campeonato Brasileiro Série A champion will get a berth too (or the runner up if the winner is also the Copa Libertadores winner)

that is so fucked up if the draw means we have to play TWO South American continental champions level clubs to win the fucking trophy, plus in their home country and likely their home city (and even maybe their home stadium) for one or both, plus it will be the middle of summer there, so horrid heat and humidity

Rio to bid for FIFA Club World Cup hosting right

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-09-17/Rio-to-bid-for-FIFA-Club-World-Cup-hosting-right-13DwVYKdm5W/index.html

Edited by Vesper

On 18/09/2021 at 20:16, Vesper said:

this is some bullshit if this happens

Rio is trying to host the FIFA Club World Cup in December, which means Brasil will have home field advantage AND get two teams again (like the first one in 2000, when it was two Brasilian teams in the final) as the Campeonato Brasileiro Série A champion will get a berth too (or the runner up if the winner is also the Copa Libertadores winner)

that is so fucked up if the draw means we have to play TWO South American continental champions level clubs to win the fucking trophy, plus in their home country and likely their home city (and even maybe their home stadium) for one or both, plus it will be the middle of summer there, so horrid heat and humidity

Rio to bid for FIFA Club World Cup hosting right

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-09-17/Rio-to-bid-for-FIFA-Club-World-Cup-hosting-right-13DwVYKdm5W/index.html

it will 90% likely be two of these three teams

21a65359a4f64a869933a16d76483490.png

as those 3 are all in the semifinals of the Copa Libertadores and are the top 3 in the league too

the only non Brasilian team left is Barcelona S.C. from Ecuador who went through on away goals against the 4th Brasilian side in the quarters, Fluminense after a string a really dodgy calls, and there was a FIFTH Brasilian side too, lol, São Paulo, who lost to Palmeiras, and there would have been a SIXTH, Internacional, but they suffered a massive upset to a Paraguayan team Olimpia, in the round of 16

71e5acd84a0a3feb448ae90dbf3fe29f.png

it's just our fucking luck that these 3 Brasilian sides left are arguably (along with that goddamn 2012 Corinthians side we ran into and lost in the last and only other FWCC final we were in) are the strongest South American sides since the mid noughties

plus, also likely to make it are 3 old schools powers, the biggest teams in 3 other confederations, Club América (Mexico), Al Hilal (of the KSA and the Asian confed) and the all-time best African continent team, Al Ahly of Egypt (already qualified). even the last and by far weakest team, Auckland City, is by far the all time winningest team in history of the OFC

In fact IF there are two Brasil teams, and Club America and Al Hilal end up making it

this is very likely the strongest ever field for the normal format FWCC (we have such shitty luck as 2012 was top 3 or 4 or so year too)

the only year that was stronger was the one-off 2000 tourney

94b20e5062b634af3fe8011b77129dbb.png

Edited by Vesper

https://www.thenationalnews.com/sport/football/2021/09/23/uae-in-talks-to-host-2021-fifa-club-world-cup/

UAE in talks to host 2021 Fifa Club World Cup

Fifa consider options for delayed event after Japan withdrew citing concerns regarding Covid-19

It could be postponed to February maybe when we have winter break.

@Magic Lamps happy?

Edited by NikkiCFC

On 18/09/2021 at 22:52, Vesper said:

it will 90% likely be two of these three teams

21a65359a4f64a869933a16d76483490.png

as those 3 are all in the semifinals of the Copa Libertadores and are the top 3 in the league too

the only non Brasilian team left is Barcelona S.C. from Ecuador who went through on away goals against the 4th Brasilian side in the quarters, Fluminense after a string a really dodgy calls, and there was a FIFTH Brasilian side too, lol, São Paulo, who lost to Plameiras, and there would have been a SIXTH, Internacional, but they suffered a massive upset to a Paraguayan team Olimpia, in the round of 16

71e5acd84a0a3feb448ae90dbf3fe29f.png

it's just our fucking luck that these 3 Brasilian sides left are arguably (along with that goddamn 2012 Corinthians side we ran into and lost in the last and only other FWCC final we were in) are the strongest South American sides since the mid noughties

plus, also likely to make it are 3 old schools powers, the biggest teams in 3 other confederations, Club América (Mexico), Al Hilal (of the KSA and the Asian confed) and the all-time best African continent team, Al Ahly of Egypt (already qualified). even the last and by far weakest team, Auckland City, is by far the all time winningest team in history of the OFC

In fact IF there are two Brasil teams, and Club America and Al Hilal end up making it

this is very likely the strongest ever field for the normal format FWCC (we have such shitty luck as 2012 was top 3 or 4 or so year too)

the only year that was stronger was the one-off 2000 tourney

94b20e5062b634af3fe8011b77129dbb.png

Would make our victory more famous tho if we beat the most successful teams from the other continents on our way as opposed to some minnows who scraped there by luck. We will be huge favourites anyway. We beat the best teams of England and Spain for winning CL, the best of Africa, Asia and Americas should be a walk in the park if we manage to replicate the standard we set there. On normal form we should outlast all of them, the problem as I repeatedly stated is the jetlag which also was an issue in 2012. But this time we have a way younger and deeper squad so I think we should be able to atleast do better. One more challenge will be the shitty fifa refs who usually favour the underdogs. In 2012 they chalked off a perfectly legit Torres goal and made some dubious pen decisions.

19 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

https://www.thenationalnews.com/sport/football/2021/09/23/uae-in-talks-to-host-2021-fifa-club-world-cup/

UAE in talks to host 2021 Fifa Club World Cup

Fifa consider options for delayed event after Japan withdrew citing concerns regarding Covid-19

It could be postponed to February maybe when we have winter break.

@Magic Lamps happy?

Slightly more relaxed. Middle east is at least closer for us than it is for the Brazilians, albeit the KSA/Egypt teams basically have home advantage.

It is down to either Flamengo or Palmeiras who will be our main FIFA World Club Cup opponents (unless FIFA fucks us and lets Brasil host and have two teams in the comp, which means the best team in South America, Atletico Mineiro (whom Palmeiras upset two days ago) will also likely get in.)

Palmeiras one win from Copa Libertadores history after defending champions reach final

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/conmebol-copa-libertadores/story/4486412/palmeiras-one-win-from-copa-libertadores-history-after-defending-champions-reach-final

72205e91a8bc5f8eef592d7c1eca39ae.png

Bruno Henrique stars as Flamengo ease past Barcelona into Copa Libertadores final

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/conmebol-copa-libertadores/story/4487578/bruno-henrique-stars-as-flamengo-ease-past-barcelona-into-copa-libertadores-final

58a33fee167f0e7ad15a5cb5ca6ec978.png