Mateo Kovacic

Unionjack

• 4 weeks later...

Lampard on Kovacic...

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/loftus-cheek-needs-time-but-chelsea-miss-his-goals-lampard/11b50gt85jwh01swc6mu7yrzvq

Lampard said he was part of the conversation to turn the Croatian's Real Madrid loan move into a £40.3 million [€48m/$52m] move last summer.

"[Kovacic] was the one (player) that we could bring in because of the situation," Lampard said. "I watched him last year and I liked him from afar. It maybe wasn’t the easiest year for him and some times his started, some times he didn’t.

"But I just saw a natural talent in the way that he can take people out of midfield and travel really quickly with the ball and play really nice combinations. I think it’s not the norm, always, you have a high level of that.

"But there are other parts of his game that we want him to improve. We want him to score more goals and defensively when he is in deep defensive areas, of course, he has to be very aware to pick up runners and do that job as well. I liked him. I was part of that process and I want to work with him more.”

• 2 weeks later...

Mateo Kovacic compares Frank Lampard to Zinedine Zidane - and slams Maurizio Sarri

Chelsea midfielder Mateo Kovacic was far from a fan of Maurizio Sarri’s methods but sees many similarities between Frank Lampard and Zinedine Zidane as managers

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/mateo-kovacic-compares-frank-lampard-21439948

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Should be starting every game for the foreseeable future baring injury, suspension or fatigue.

If Kante's injury is a few weeks, there's no excuses now for Lampard to not try to revert back to what was working so well before Kante came back to fitness and was shoehorned into the team at the expense of Jorginho and Kovacic's partnership.

Once Kante went off last night, it was again clear that both play better with each other than with Kante.

2 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

If Kante's injury is a few weeks, there's no excuses now for Lampard to not try to revert back to what was working so well before Kante came back to fitness and was shoehorned into the team at the expense of Jorginho and Kovacic's partnership.

Once Kante went off last night, it was again clear that both play better with each other than with Kante.

Our passing and total midfield play and combinations felt much smoother suddenly, compared to last weeks with Kante in the team. Also, Mount fitted in so nicely yesterday and it was almost like against Ajax where we bossed the midfield.

This midfield break by wanting to play Kante, Christensen's inclusion and Giroud's total mismanagement are my concerns and blasts regarding Lampard.

Kovacic was an absolute monster yesterday and by far our best player this season.

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

As I just pointed out on the match thread as sad as I am for Kante to be injured I'm very excited to see that midfield once more.

If it stands up and has us dictating the game against Bayern (even if they ultimately have too much for us) the same way it did in Amsterdam there's surely no way Kante could walk back in.

19 minutes ago, Tomo said:

As I just pointed out on the match thread as sad as I am for Kante to be injured I'm very excited to see that midfield once more.

If it stands up and has us dictating the game against Bayern (even if they ultimately have too much for us) the same way it did in Amsterdam there's surely no way Kante could walk back in.

Long term wise, Kante needs to be out of this team anyway. RLC-Kovacic-Jorgi is the midfield to go.

24 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Kova spent winter break on Barbados. Nice! At least something creative unlike majority of PL players who dont know better than soulless Dubai.

yay for Bim!!!!

That is Sandy Lane, btw

872687f197bd050a6b592a2bf79c0ee7.png

13 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Kova spent winter break on Barbados. Nice! At least something creative unlike majority of PL players who dont know better than soulless Dubai.

Haha agreed. Imagine having all the wealth in the world and spending your holidays in Dubai...