Danny Drinkwater

xPetrCechx

Miguel Delaney has a piece just out saying that David Luiz's performance against Spuds may effect Conte's thinking going forward in terms of transfer targets. That maybe David can permanently move into midfield and as a result signing VVD makes sense and we'd have no reason to sign Drinkwater. It's an interesting idea and I like the thought of a midfield 3 of Baka/Kante/Luiz like we deployed at Spuds. David sits at the base while Kante and Baka use their endless energy to bomb forward and support the attack more.

Would save us quite a bit of money that's for sure.

40 for Paulinho.

40 for Drinkvodka

we are on the same level as barca! :clap:

One is a PL flop

Other is a PL champion

As always we're superior to barca, don't even know why u said we are on the same level as them

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

Genuinely think he would be a decent squad member.  Capable of doing a job when called upon.  

I really think it'll happen, for about 34m plus add ons, taking it to like 38-40

Candreva and a wingback to join aswell.   don't see a striker happening now

Genuinely think he would be a decent squad member.  Capable of doing a job when called upon.  

I really think it'll happen, for about 34m plus add ons, taking it to like 38-40

Candreva and a wingback to join aswell.   don't see a striker happening now
It's sad times where we're in talks to sign someone of his quality for £35-40m. He'd essentially be filling a Tiago-esque role.

The only plus about this potentially happening is his HG status.

10 hours ago, LAM09 said:

It's sad times where we're in talks to sign someone of his quality for £35-40m. He'd essentially be filling a Tiago-esque role.

The only plus about this potentially happening is his HG status.

35-40 is the new "normal" so to speak.  Chris Wood of Burnley is going for £15m from Leeds, Andre Gray is nearly £20m.    Its the market now. 

Drinkwater is not as bad as made out on here, he just isnt. Neither is Ross Barkley

47 minutes ago, ChelseaFanUK said:

35-40 is the new "normal" so to speak.  Chris Wood of Burnley is going for £15m from Leeds, Andre Gray is nearly £20m.    Its the market now. 

Drinkwater is not as bad as made out on here, he just isnt. Neither is Ross Barkley

This is why selling Matic for £40M doesn't make sense anymore.

19 hours ago, Pizy said:

Miguel Delaney has a piece just out saying that David Luiz's performance against Spuds may effect Conte's thinking going forward in terms of transfer targets. That maybe David can permanently move into midfield and as a result signing VVD makes sense and we'd have no reason to sign Drinkwater. It's an interesting idea and I like the thought of a midfield 3 of Baka/Kante/Luiz like we deployed at Spuds. David sits at the base while Kante and Baka use their endless energy to bomb forward and support the attack more.

Would save us quite a bit of money that's for sure.

Never going to happen. Why? Because, I saw Antonio watching the game on Sunday. The boss may have described David's performance as "amazing" but he won't have been fooled by it.

DL did really well in the defensive side of the midfield role. I hope he'll do equally well each time he plays there because he'd need to. Despite much hype to the contrary, DL is no midfield player. He was pretty horrible in possession. Instead of helping to solve our problem against the press, he just contributed to our troubles.

With David in the middle of the park the ball will keep coming back at us. Just like it did on Sunday. Hence the opportunity for David to make tackles and interceptions a plenty. Just like on Sunday.

Media types can say what they want. I don't care that their opinions so often bear little resemblance to reality, but I have more confidence in Antonio. Emergencies apart, David ain't becoming a midfield regular for Chelsea.

20 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Never going to happen. Why? Because, I saw Antonio watching the game on Sunday. The boss may have described David's performance as "amazing" but he won't have been fooled by it.

DL did really well in the defensive side of the midfield role. I hope he'll do equally well each time he plays there because he'd need to. Despite much hype to the contrary, DL is no midfield player. He was pretty horrible in possession. Instead of helping to solve our problem against the press, he just contributed to our troubles.

With David in the middle of the park the ball will keep coming back at us. Just like it did on Sunday. Hence the opportunity for David to make tackles and interceptions a plenty. Just like on Sunday.

Media types can say what they want. I don't care that their opinions so often bear little resemblance to reality, but I have more confidence in Antonio. Emergencies apart, David ain't becoming a midfield regular for Chelsea.

Yeah agree, if the choice is buy a centre back and move Luiz into midfield or keep Luiz at the back and buy a midfielder it's the second option all day long.

He's a serviceable midfielder, who may play there a couple of times a season when struggling for numbers or possibly late on when holding on to a lead. But he's a natural and one of our best centre backs, he's a far better player than he was in his first stint at the club in that position. We need a natural central midfield option in the squad so there is little need to play him there in the future.

55 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

You mean we should have held out for more?

Yes should have asked for more or don't sell because now we are getting a player for £30M... It was always about who we can get after selling Matic and getting Drinkwater is a move backwards.

46 minutes ago, Tautvix said:

Yes should have asked for more or don't sell because now we are getting a player for £30M... It was always about who we can get after selling Matic and getting Drinkwater is a move backwards.

The error was not bringing our target in first. 

There is an argument that if we bring someone in first it weakens our position of selling because the buying team knows that we're happy for Matic to leave but in this instance we knew United wanted him and would've paid our asking price.

Now we're in the position of looking desperate. We probably could have negotiated Drinkwater for £20 - 25m before selling Matic but Leicester can see we're desperate and have just flogged Matic for £40m so were always going to play hardball to get more money from us.

12 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

The error was not bringing our target in first. 

There is an argument that if we bring someone in first it weakens our position of selling because the buying team knows that we're happy for Matic to leave but in this instance we knew United wanted him and would've paid our asking price.

Now we're in the position of looking desperate. We probably could have negotiated Drinkwater for £20 - 25m before selling Matic but Leicester can see we're desperate and have just flogged Matic for £40m so were always going to play hardball to get more money from us.

Leicester were always going to play hardball come what may. They don't want to sell and don't need the money. What other type of ball would they even think of?

As for Drinkwater being a Matic downgrade, let'a see about that.