Chelsea v West Ham

Jase

Personally, I think Chelsea lacked a lot of structure and organization at the back last term.

I don't think your CB pairing is a bad choice, IMO it's all about how they were setup and I don't think Guus Hiddink helped. Attacking wise, you played with a lot of precision from the games I watched on TV, easily breaking down sides and looking lethal. Cesc Fabregas didn't look like his usual self, majority of games I saw I felt he was the only weak link in your play (at least from an offensive point of view).

Your full/wing backs looked more than capable to do their jobs.

It's just for some reasons there was a lot of panic, I mean, going back to the Spurs game - they really outclassed you in the first half.

Mostly due to the issues you had at the back, plus nobody was really marking but I've seen enough of that with the team I support - so I know it comes with difficult seasons and a lack of structure. When Costa and others stretched Spurs, your defence looked different and less likely to buckle. In the second half, your defence didn't seem the same as the one that started the game. It was quite weird to watch, as in recent years I would say you've been fairly solid in this department.

Then again, I don't think Cahill is really a replacement for Terry.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Special Juan said:

Things at the back don't look good but just stop for one minute and imagine if we get 1, yes 1 injury at the back, we are totally fucked. We need to pray like fuck this does not happen, the situation doesn't need to be dressed up or sand kicked over it, bad state of affairs and close to a complete disaster if it happens.

This isn't me moaning, this is me being realistic.

Well that's the same for any team. What if Utd get an injury to Smalling? What if City lose Otamendi? What if Arsenal lose Bellerin? etc, etc. 

2 minutes ago, It's too big said:

Well that's the same for any team. What if Utd get an injury to Smalling? What if City lose Otamendi? What if Arsenal lose Bellerin? etc, etc. 

I'm not really interested in anyone else TBH, but if you want a comparison....City lose Otamendi to injury they have Stones, Mangala and Kompany, not a bad choice is it?

Courtois

Iva-Cahill-Terry-Azpi (I hate that i have to write that back four)

Kante

Willian-Fab-Matic-Hazard

Costa

I think Oscar has looked far better this preseason but a motivated fabregas with proper defensive cover could get a couple of assists.

3-1 Chelsea win. Chelsea Goals: Hazard x2, Costa.

On 8/8/2016 at 3:37 AM, Special Juan said:

This defence will be the death of us, cannot see a clean sheet in this for us. WHU will be rubbing their hands at the thought of this one and facing our weak and slow back line.

Fancy a 2-2 here.

exactly what I was going to say. 2-2 and we can take some solace from scoring two goals TBH.

Don't like Chelsea's centre midfield options. Really don't like Chelsea's defensive options.

Offensive options are pretty good.

Don't know the point of this post but I wanted to throw it out into the internet realm.

11 minutes ago, LDN Blue said:

This is going to be either really embarrassing for us or an incredible game goal wise :lol: 

Maybe like our 5-3 against Everton 2 years ago? :D

Now that its nailed on that we will be starting with our dreaded back 4, its completely up to our midfield to deliver.

Last season, we did not keep the ball well enough, did not guard against attacks through the middle.. and our back 4 were exposed time and again for the poor defensive line that they are.

I hope that at least this time, we hang onto the ball much better and expose the back 4 to as little of the ball as possible. This should work until we play one of the bigger sides.

5 hours ago, Strike said:

I find it incredible that Conte is starting the season with a defense weaker than last season. Baba and Kennedy loaned. Zouma injured.

The longer it goes on that we haven't bought a defender is making me think the board said this..

"Hey Antonio, you were a genius in the Euros with Italy, get this lot defending like that and save us a fortune"