John Terry

DavidEU

But the issue here is then we would constantly be changing captains on the pitch.

This is a very good point. If Mourinho is to keep Terry in the fringes of the squad, he's got to name one of the younger players another vice-captain. There is a case for just giving it to Cech, but I think giving it to one of our more established players might inspire them - Especially if it comes from Mourinho. The question becomes who. I'd make a case for David Luiz, because of his passion, but he's a bit of a hot-head and might cause more harm than good if he gets in the face of a referee lol.

But the issue here is then we would constantly be changing captains on the pitch.

It's just a bit of cloth at the end of the day. I never understood why some supporters get worked up over an armband as much as they do. It's completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Instead of searching who's gonna be our captain, we should first focus on searching players having balls, leadership and with a real character (kinda like Drogba, Ballack, etc...). That's what we have been missing this year. Armband or not, a leader will a leader will remain a leader.

This. Ballack, Drogba, Cech, Lampard, Carvalho...all big characters who knew what it took to win and never hid when it mattered. They weren't Chelsea captains but it never made them any less influential.

It's just a bit of cloth at the end of the day. I never understood why some supporters get worked up over an armband as much as they do. It's completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

It's not about who should be captain, who's got the character etc as you made in the post after that. It's about having a captain that plays week in week out in our starting XI and not constantly change the captaincy for every game.

This 'natural leader' guff is perhaps the most over-exaggerated thing in football. It's almost as bad as the people who bleat on about passion, fighting for the shirt and all those other terrible clichés.

I never thought I'd hear that from a Chelsea fan after last year's CL win.

I'm favouring selling him if the opportunity arises. Take away that he is captain, and it's clear that he should no longer be first choice anymore. In fact I believe we are now a weaker team with Terry in the team. He's never been blessed with pace, but he can barely move around the pitch now and I seriously worry about him playing against top strikers with a bit of pace.

Maybe it's that he hasn't been playing very often, but I don't see his leadership as crucial compared with 2-3 years ago. We have a growing Spanish/Brazilian contingent at the club which have taken a lot of responsibility on with their performances on the pitch.

His wages suggest a guaranteed first choice and similarly to Torres, he clearly shouldn't be. If we can offload and bring a young centre back in as replacement we should.

This doesn't take anything away from Terry's immense contributions for the club over the years. He will always be a legend at the club, but sentiment shouldn't play a part. That is why Fergie was so good over the years, he knew when to let players go and find replacements and we must do the same to continue progressing.

I never thought I'd hear that from a Chelsea fan after last year's CL win.

You think those awful clichés represent and sum up the journey that our players and football have been on for the last 10 years? Terry is supposedly the epitome of a natural leader and yet he wasn't part of the final through his own sheer stupidity that very nearly cost the team a place in the final. 'Natural leader' and all those other terrible clichés have absolutely nothing to do with what transpired in Munich last year. That was the culmination of a 10 year slog, the trophy was won through sheer hard work and a whole lot of luck that we deserved after so many heartbreaks. What does the term 'natural leader' have to do with that? Baffled.

The issue here is hyping up nonsense like 'natural leader' to justify keeping a player who may no longer have a significant role in the squad moving forward. Who is stay other players who are going to play major roles over the next 4,5,6 years won't stand up and take more responsibility?

Plastic fans claiming we should sell JT. Still not over the club letting Drogba leave but if JT doesn't retire at the club we've officially become a soulless club like Rafa said we were all those years back.

Is he a first choice defender anymore? Who knows?

We've statistically conceded MORE goals without him in the team these past few years. He hasn't had a reliable partner at the back since Alex left. Luiz, Cahill and Ivanovic each have their flaws so to pin the blame for our crappy defense on him is ridiculous.

Not like the clowns in front of him offer our back line any protection either. It's embarrassingly easy to bypass our midfield and its one of the biggest issues for our recent trend of poor defending. As for the mobility issues, well that's only a problem if your partner also lacks pace.

Arsenal's defense was magnificent in the 2nd half of the season with Mertesacker paired alongside Koscielny, Barcelona have been abysmal since Puyol's injury problems, United's defense improved once Vidic returned and he isn't renowned for his pace.

Then you have the likes of Demichiles, Van Buyten, Carragher and Alex who all had terrific individual seasons despite lacking speed.

Fact is JT's still an excellent goal threat, his distribution from the back is still 2nd to none, is the greatest leader the club will ever see and he has a incredible habit of bouncing back in the face of adversity and proving everyone wrong.

F*** the haters, he deserves at least one more season after everything he's done for the club.

Plastic fans claiming we should sell JT. Still not over the club letting Drogba leave but if JT doesn't retire at the club we've officially become a soulless club like Rafa said we were all those years back.

Is he a first choice defender anymore? Who knows?

We've statistically conceded MORE goals without him in the team these past few years. He hasn't had a reliable partner at the back since Alex left. Luiz, Cahill and Ivanovic each have their flaws so to pin the blame for our crappy defense on him is ridiculous.

Not like the clowns in front of him offer our back line any protection either. It's embarrassingly easy to bypass our midfield and its one of the biggest issues for our recent trend of poor defending. As for the mobility issues, well that's only a problem if your partner also lacks pace.

Arsenal's defense was magnificent in the 2nd half of the season with Mertesacker paired alongside Koscielny, Barcelona have been abysmal since Puyol's injury problems, United's defense improved once Vidic returned and he isn't renowned for his pace.

Then you have the likes of Demichiles, Van Buyten, Carragher and Alex who all had terrific individual seasons despite lacking speed.

Fact is JT's still an excellent goal threat, his distribution from the back is still 2nd to none, is the greatest leader the club will ever see and he has a incredible habit of bouncing back in the face of adversity and proving everyone wrong.

F*** the haters, he deserves at least one more season after everything he's done for the club.

With the exception of Carragher, all the rest don't play in the Premier League which is widely recognised as the fastest and most intense major league in Europe to play in. As for Carragher, the bin dippers finished mid table. He wouldn't be good enough to be first choice for a title chasing team and that is exactly my point, because neither is Terry.

If Terry was on similar wages to the rest of our squad, I would say keep him as a squad player for next season, but he is one of our highest paid players by some margin and no longer justifies this. With not just FFP coming into play but the Premier League's own new rules regarding wage increases, etc, it may well be beneficial for us to seriously consider letting him move on if there are offers being made for him.

The issue here is hyping up nonsense like 'natural leader' to justify keeping a player who may no longer have a significant role in the squad moving forward. Who is stay other players who are going to play major roles over the next 4,5,6 years won't stand up and take more responsibility?

I'd like to add that, in my opinion, keeping Terry and Lampard around doesn't necessarily do any good to that aspect (i.e. the charactere of our others players). Oscar, Mata etc... seem to be kind of shy players — or at least, not "natural born leader". Now, when you're such a player and enter a squad where there's players regarded as legends, true leaders etc... just as Terry and Lampard, what do you do ? You sit back and relax, and enjoy life without worrying about responsabilities.

That's kinda like when you do a group work at school. When you're with school mates who are the best of your class, hard workers and al, you'll do nothing apart scrutinize the blue sky. Though, when you're in group with dumb people and wankers, since nothing's gonna happen and that you don't want to get a bad grade, you take your responsabilities and become the leader of the group.

So yeah, I don't believe that hanging upon this past relic (i.e. the presumed leadership provided by our old players) is a good thing. Maybe in the short-term it can be good, but in the long, definitely not.

You can swim all your life with life-belt, you'll remain safe this way, though won't improve as a self. But in the end, once you drop them because you just cannot swim with a life-belt in before the eyes of your children, you'll sink like a rock.

He had issues with his fitness this season, but it's really depressing to see how many people write him off even before the start of the next one. IMO he still has a lot to give to the team despite people claiming his body is falling apart and him being close to retirement. Don't forget he is not that old yet :)

Jose has not written our capt off he knows you cant buy the commitment people like JT and Lamps have for our club they would die for Chelsea fans and Jose will get the best out of JT for sure .

My bet is JT will be nack to his best next season and will force his way back into the side as no. 1 choice that is the character of the man.