The Conte Thread

1. Mourinho, Guardiola, Puccettino , Koeman, Pulis, Howe, Hughes, Allardyce, Mazzarri and Dyche: better Premierleague coaches than Antonio Conte.
2. Change of a system, good squad, a captain who was benched and didn't made trouble, lack of  games in Europe, zero significant injuries, opponents who did not connect in time, a connection with the crowd: the reasons why Conte played a card and Chelsea won the championship.
3. Stuck on with one method, not strong in the transfer window, weak in knockout games, not in control of the game, no subs in time, if any at all: the reasons why Chelsea will fail next season -  all of that ,I'm not saying for the first time. I said it On the day we won the championship. The same will happen as with Di matteo.

(From my friend, A chelsea Fan).

Of course fans will be frustrated after being so close to a double this season and not getting it, but look, at the start of the season I'm sure we could only dream for winning the PL and reaching the FA final, I mean, no one expected it after that horrible past season and the appointment of the new manager. In that order, Conte deservers a lot of respect and even credits for his first season. From the interviews I can see that he is aware of that we need more depth in the squad and more quality, I just hope the board give him the opportunity to get his targets and build his team as he wants.
Next season will be even harder for him, as he put the bar so high, will have CL as another competition and people will have high expectations after his first season.

7 minutes ago, pHaRaOn said:

Nice trolling. He should link up with that Matic' guy.

You never know, everything can happen.

Conte Is Not A Cup (Domestic+CL) Games Manager. can't win the Italian cup + get to late CL stages, with juve. look what Allegri has done in the last 2-3 seasons there.

Devastated. 

Champions or not, this loss has left a very, very bad taste in my mouth. And that at our definite end of our season. Really sucks.

I don't blame Conte for starting Matic, I blame him for subbing way too late and not making any other changes. He cannot know beforehand that Matic was going to have a stinker of a match. Need to sell him this summer as he isn't becoming any better.

The red card Moses got was pathetic and to me, that guy gets way too much praise. All fun and games that he has shown some worth after those 2 pointless loanings at Pool and WHU, but he's not good enough and I hope he becomes a bench-client. If you enter the Champions League with Moses as RWB: fuck off please.  

What hurts the most is losing to a dinosaur like Wenger and Arsenal in general and those filthy gooners who wanted Wenger out with all the protests and stuff, and now celebrate this FA Cup win. Wenger literally copied our system and he school Conte today. That's shocking and says a lot about Conte as well. Even though our players didn't show up. They had TURTLESACKER AND ROB FUCKIN' HOLDING in defense. Insane stuff. The referee should ref in the National League as that decision to give Arsenal the 1-0 was insane. INSANE. I still cannot believe how someone from this level of refereeing give a goal like that. Handball AND offside. No words.

Conte is a good trainer but not the best. He has poor cup/knock-out record and I was always Conte>Allegri but I'm starting to have my doubts on that one as the latter has a much better record at Juventus. 

If he's a "league-merchant" like Blanc was at PSG, he won't be around here very long.

I'm taking a break from all things footy as well because it gets a hold of me too much. Can't help it. Also not interested in silly season. If I pick up noises that our board is fucking over Conte again, we should just all quit. Not only him. 

37 minutes ago, xPetrCechx said:

Conte Is Not A Cup (Domestic+CL) Games Manager. can't win the Italian cup + get to late CL stages, with juve. look what Allegri has done in the last 2-3 seasons there.

Conte's cup record is questionable but just in his defence, (1) Allegri has been given far more backing in the transfer market than Conte ever was to build a squad capable of dominating domestically and challenging for Europe, (2) Conte lost to good sides in his last 4 cup competitions (including 2 in the final) which can happen and (3) can't definitively say he's poor in the Champions League just yet because he got KOed by an unstoppable Bayern Munich in one of the seasons. The other one was a failure yes but sample size still too small.

32 minutes ago, Dahnald said:

Devastated. 

Champions or not, this loss has left a very, very bad taste in my mouth. And that at our definite end of our season. Really sucks.

I don't blame Conte for starting Matic, I blame him for subbing way too late and not making any other changes. He cannot know beforehand that Matic was going to have a stinker of a match. Need to sell him this summer as he isn't becoming any better.

The red card Moses got was pathetic and to me, that guy gets way too much praise. All fun and games that he has shown some worth after those 2 pointless loanings at Pool and WHU, but he's not good enough and I hope he becomes a bench-client. If you enter the Champions League with Moses as RWB: fuck off please.  

What hurts the most is losing to a dinosaur like Wenger and Arsenal in general and those filthy gooners who wanted Wenger out with all the protests and stuff, and now celebrate this FA Cup win. Wenger literally copied our system and he school Conte today. That's shocking and says a lot about Conte as well. Even though our players didn't show up. They had TURTLESACKER AND ROB FUCKIN' HOLDING in defense. Insane stuff. The referee should ref in the National League as that decision to give Arsenal the 1-0 was insane. INSANE. I still cannot believe how someone from this level of refereeing give a goal like that. Handball AND offside. No words.

Conte is a good trainer but not the best. He has poor cup/knock-out record and I was always Conte>Allegri but I'm starting to have my doubts on that one as the latter has a much better record at Juventus. 

If he's a "league-merchant" like Blanc was at PSG, he won't be around here very long.

I'm taking a break from all things footy as well because it gets a hold of me too much. Can't help it. Also not interested in silly season. If I pick up noises that our board is fucking over Conte again, we should just all quit. Not only him. 

If he wins the pl every season the next 4 and wins nothing else I bet you he will still be here. 

PL trumps everything else. 

2 hours ago, Dahnald said:

I really question him sometimes. 

Never won a knock out tournament. 

Di Matteo won a knock out tournament. Benitez won a knock out tournament. Would you want them instead of Conte? 

Seriously men stop being such a fickle fan and be content we at least won the pl. That was something no one here thought was possible at the beginning and I'm sure including you. 

Plus cups usually the best never win, because it requires some luck. Look at our best Chelsea team and never won the CL, but our worst won it in the last attempt. 

3 hours ago, Jason said:

You can tell by the last sentence and the arm gestures that he means that we overachieved, which is totally true. I know the defeat hurts and all, given the context (gooner fans celebrating and rubbing it in our face (though there are a lot of arrogant loud-mouthed Chelsea fans who were taunting them), that f**got-ass Moses ruining our composure, etc.), but looking on the bright side, I'm fairly optimistic that it was a much-needed wake-up call. Imagine if the gooner fans tell themselves again next season that they did us a favor by making us stronger through beating us again while they are having a classical sh*tty run mid-season. 

I haven't been vocal here in criticizing players since United away cause I felt it would seem like I was a buzzkill village idiot , but I always felt deep in my bones that Matic was mid-table team material and Costa's work-rate was meh on purpose from his part. Matic's goal against Tottenham, for me, was both a gift and a curse. A gift because it made us lead with 2 goals with 15 minutes remaining, and a curse because everyone, including Conte, instinctively ignored how ragged he had been run by Dembele & co throughout the game. Moses and Costa are morally bankrupt and lack emotional intelligence, does any sane coach or fan really want players who would sell their own mother if meant that they won for their team? Alonso deserves to stay, but only as a number two. Benjamin Mendy would be perfect in that role I reckon.

5 hours ago, Jason said:

Conte's cup record is questionable but just in his defence, (1) Allegri has been given far more backing in the transfer market than Conte ever was to build a squad capable of dominating domestically and challenging for Europe, (2) Conte lost to good sides in his last 4 cup competitions (including 2 in the final) which can happen and (3) can't definitively say he's poor in the Champions League just yet because he got KOed by an unstoppable Bayern Munich in one of the seasons. The other one was a failure yes but sample size still too small.

2nd season Juve's number 9 was Vucinic and they faced Drogba. We know how he is in knockout competitions, Gala scored 3 goals in two games, Drogba had two assists and one goal. Drogba's side had also beaten 4-1 Mourinho's Real one year before that. Still Juventus should have eliminated but Gala is known for such surprising results.

A year ago people doubted Conte because he had no experience outside Italy, now they talk about his cup record after almost winning the double in his first season.

13 hours ago, xPetrCechx said:

Conte has only twice participated in the CL.The first coming to quarters losing to Bayern the second time came out to the groups to reach the semifinals of EL. Comparing Conte and Allegri in CL for me is out of context at Conte management never bought the required players. In those years Juventus made markets at 0 euro.
With Allegri the management revolutionized the rose taking advantage of good deals but also spending a lot of money on the market. Now Juventus buys player of 30/40/90 million under Conte the biggest expense was 18/20 million for a player. Today of Conte's Juventus remain Buffon,Bonucci,Barzagli,Chiellini and Marchisio as holders for the rest the rose has been sharply strengthened.

39 minutes ago, Mana said:

We are going to play Arsenal twice before the next season starts. A pre-friendly and the Community Shield. F'ing get this right both times especially with the CS. It's no FA Cup, but I don't want to lose again to the Gunners. :/

Losing to the Gunners will set the tone going in to next season. Like it did with Mourinho a couple years back.

But as others mentioned, maybe the loss is the silver lining. The cracks are now wide open for Abramovich, the board and Conte to see. I can't stress it enough, that this squad ain't good enough. How we won the league is beyond me. Our original target was just to get to the top 4!

Let's not forget how we got battered by West Ham (LC), Spuds, Arsenal at the Emirates, Liverpool and United at OT. And yes, even though we beat City at the Etihad we seriously rode our luck in that. Apart from the City game, we looked super poor in those. No fight.

I swear if we have at least Costa, Matic and Moses as part of our main XI again next season, I'll give up on winning anything next season. If we do somehow win anything next season, we overachieved.

Conte, again the cracks in the squad wide open for everyone to see. You have the summer. Fix it, otherwise you may have a similar season to Mourinho's 2015-16.

Leaning towards the same. It's the formation, the discipline, the motivation that made our season. This is definitely not a bad squad, the first xi is probably tied best in the country but not by much.But the squad is thin and lacks in quality in very important positions. Matic, Moses, Alonso are not good enough for CL. Cahill and Costa are not quite good enough too but can hardly be replaced. Pedro is not the level of hazard but fine for now. This 3-6 players. There is no way we can upgrade on 6 players in one summer. Even 3 will be a challenge. Also Conte surely is at fault for his average cup results to some extent at least. Tbf there are mitigating factors to all of his disappointing cup campaigns. One not listed is that it is hard to get your motivation up for an da cup final when you already won the league, a much bigger trophy. I have actually very seldom seen a title winning side reach the average level of their league performances in a later cup final. Usually if they win it they do with a below par performance against a badly inferior side. Like our double win in Portsmouth were our defenders were clearly lacking focus. Portsmouth were all over us and even got a pen. Even Bayern were lucky in most of their DFB Pokal finals and simply won by having the far better players. When teams are a similar level of quality the not title winning team might have the greater motivation. E.g when we beat ManU 2007 . Still there is no real comfort in that thought as it feels bad to lose a cup final ESP vs arsenal even tho it was the best arsenal performance I have ever seen.

21 hours ago, Jason said:

I agree that Conte's cup record isn't the best (excluding the Champions League) but his 4 defeats did come against Napoli, Roma, Lazio and Arsenal. Just find it strange he can get the better of them in the league but not in the cup.

Big away games has always been an issue for him.

I thnk the bad cup manager is a bit exaggerated, i mean yes he hasn't won one yet but would you call Atletico or us circa 04-11 a bad CL team?

4 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Big away games has always been an issue for him.

To be fair, that's a big issue for us too. The only big away game we seem to win more often than not is Arsenal. Otherwise we rarely win at Spurs, City, Liverpool and United.