The Conte Thread

16 minutes ago, The Chels said:

Anyone know if Conte used to press high against the bigger teams when he was at Juve? I was really surprised by yesterday's approach given how much he talks about intensity.

liverpool pressed us so high, we almost died on the pitch...

Those who where calling Klopp better then Conte you fail to realize that last season Klopp wasn't that good either at the beginning. 

Took nearly a season for Klopp to get his idea into the team. 

I expect the same with Conte, I figure that by February/March we will start seeing the real deal. Right now too early, and do hope that the club backs him in the January transfer window. 

10 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Those who where calling Klopp better then Conte you fail to realize that last season Klopp wasn't that good either at the beginning. 

"But Conte ain't in the class of Pep or Klopp but that's okay because we are no longer in a position to demand the best." 
From the Kdb thread.

Decide already :P

Been reading this thread :lol: I've had a good laugh from most posts. "Conte doesn't have balls!" "Why does He bench Fabregas?!" Often at very short intervals.

6 minutes ago, Blue_Fox_ said:

"But Conte ain't in the class of Pep or Klopp but that's okay because we are no longer in a position to demand the best." 
From the Kdb thread.

Decide already :P

Been reading this thread :lol: I've had a good laugh from most posts. "Conte doesn't have balls!" "Why does He bench Fabregas?!" Often at very short intervals.

The whole point is that he needs time. 

Now klopp is different because he's more attacking. Conte juventus was nowhere like the, so they are different in class in that style. 

But the point is still that it took klopp about a season to implement his style. We will wait for the same for conte. 

After that then we can judge better. 

1 minute ago, Fernando said:

The whole point is that he needs time. 

Now klopp is different because he's more attacking. Conte juventus was nowhere like the, so they are different in class in that style. 

But the point is still that it took klopp about a season to implement his style. We will wait for the same for conte. 

After that then we can judge better. 

Thing is, this team cannot be set up in an attacking way for the time being. It would be suicide. It baffles me how people fail to realize it yet.
Hopefully once Luiz and Alonso (maybe) will be starters we can take steps forwards in that direction.

3 minutes ago, Blue_Fox_ said:

Thing is, this team cannot be set up in an attacking way for the time being. It would be suicide. It baffles me how people fail to realize it yet.
Hopefully once Luiz and Alonso (maybe) will be starters we can take steps forwards in that direction.

Well that's my original point, even if we have the team to be attacking Conte is not in the class of pep and klopp. We will not be that attacking. It seems like Conte is more like simeone. Have some attacking skills but more of a balanced side. 

I doubt we will see insane attacking like with Liverpool or city. 

And we just need to see how that balanced team comes about late down the season. Remember he said he wanted to play matic, Oscar and Kante for balance. He is not talking about attacking here.... 

11 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Well that's my original point, even if we have the team to be attacking Conte is not in the class of pep and klopp. We will not be that attacking. It seems like Conte is more like simeone. Have some attacking skills but more of a balanced side. 

I doubt we will see insane attacking like with Liverpool or city. 

And we just need to see how that balanced team comes about late down the season. Remember he said he wanted to play matic, Oscar and Kante for balance. He is not talking about attacking here.... 

He plays those three because bCk four need protecting as much as possible, Courtois being off form doesn't help either.

17 hours ago, The Chels said:

Anyone know if Conte used to press high against the bigger teams when he was at Juve? I was really surprised by yesterday's approach given how much he talks about intensity.

What are 'bigger teams' than Juve in Italy?

The only season where it was even close in the league was his first and the team was built on defensive solidity. He drew (a Juve record IIRC) 15 matches conceding just 20 goals all season. He did mostly play on the counter against Milan and Inter that season.

In the next two seasons Juve was the team to beat, and everyone defended with 10 behind the ball against them.

In the CL, we, Real and Bayern were the biggest teams they faced. They did press us high, though we were probably a class below them at the time. They played balanced matched against Real but I wouldn't call it 'high press'. Against Bayern they tried to press high and build from the back but got annihilated in those two matches. 

2 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

What are 'bigger teams' than Juve in Italy?

The only season where it was even close in the league was his first and the team was built on defensive solidity. He drew (a Juve record IIRC) 15 matches conceding just 20 goals all season. He did mostly play on the counter against Milan and Inter that season.

In the next two seasons Juve was the team to beat, and everyone defended with 10 behind the ball against them.

In the CL, we, Real and Bayern were the biggest teams they faced. They did press us high, though we were probably a class below them at the time. They played balanced matched against Real but I wouldn't call it 'high press'. Against Bayern they tried to press high and build from the back but got annihilated in those two matches. 

By 'bigger teams' I meant non-small teams rather than teams bigger than Juve. Thanks for the insight.

3 hours ago, MefiX19 said:

hope he will change players for the Leicester game and we actually press them as a team

Begović
Azpi/Aina - Ivanović - Luiz - Alonso
RLC - Fabregas - Chalobah
Moses - Michy - Hazard

Or maybe Kante instead of RLC or Chalobah. Probably won't see Loftus in midfield because Conte sees him as a striker? Chalobah - Fabregas - Kante than :)

30 minutes ago, jernej93 said:

Begović
Azpi/Aina - Ivanović - Luiz - Alonso
RLC - Fabregas - Chalobah
Moses - Michy - Hazard

Or maybe Kante instead of RLC or Chalobah. Probably won't see Loftus in midfield because Conte sees him as a striker? Chalobah - Fabregas - Kante than :)

I hope Chalobah-Kante-Fabregas is our midfield

Conte needs more time and no, I'm not a Conte fanboy; my fav. manager has been Klopp as I am a longtime Dortmund fan.

You should all look at the shot totals from ManCity and the Tottenham matches. Then also take a look at the shot count in the Watford-ManUtd match.

I loved the comment earlier from a United supporter who mentioned "midfielders who can't think quickly enough."

I will echo what others have suggested in their comments here: put our slow build-up and personnel problems aside, you cannot afford to play conservative or sit back like a Mourinho or maybe a Conte side in the Premier League. Defending may have gotten better in the past 15 years, but right now there's a lack of top class defenders whose ability and mentality sets them apart from the rest --that is, compared to the money being offered by clubs in search of top talent.

Liverpool might be a mid-table side from last season, but it's possible that being mid-table and having Klopp as your manager gives you a practical edge when composing your squad (instead of waiting until the end of the window for some players who will never come).