The Conte Thread

We invited pressure in the first half, misplaced many passes, and struggled to clear out our lines on multiple occasions, and we were punished. 

It's only Conte's first loss and his forst major tactic screw up, it happens. 

It's clear Conte wants us to play through the wings, but when our wing play is bad (like it was today), we're done for. The lack of penetration through the middle has to be addressed sooner or later.

I do not know what you wait from Conte , I'm Italian and I saw Conte for years , and he in offensive tactical level is little better than mourinho ! only single skills or episodes , but no team plots and ideas !
Then , needless to blame for an oscar o matic or more , the Truth is What The Whole Team And Low Medium Level !
blame the inability of the leadership to renew in time the team , if not as a soloist with alleged great champions come " cuadrado , marin etc. Up to pedro , Willian etc ! Still keeping players olders and not more be able to give enough like Ivanovic and Cahill ! and The Proof of this inability to renewal and the Return of Luiz !
always keeping the " safe use " although getting older and poorer , instead of renewing with young people who are always routed around at random !

I hate to say it but as long as the leadership does not change and does a team development program , young people etc in a long time will never win ! maybe the occasional victory!

I got the perception that many people are ignoring the CL-record of Conte. He has been total bullshit in the Champions League.

He is good at fucking up at big occasions.

Please don't make excuses concerning our players. Mourinho brought us near the title and the semi final in the CL with virtually no striker.

3 minutes ago, ElCholo said:

I got the perception that many people are ignoring the CL-record of Conte. He has been total bullshit in the Champions League.

He is good at fucking up at big occasions.

Please don't make excuses concerning our players. Mourinho brought us near the title and the semi final in the CL with virtually no striker.

Hes played two CL season's, one of which he got knocked out by that Bayern team no one was beating.

Second season fair enough he did screw that up.

15 minutes ago, Blue-in-me-Veins said:

It's only Conte's first loss and his forst major tactic screw up, it happens. 

Yes, it happens but this was his first big test and he failed. I don't want to be negative but from what we saw tonight, it doesn't bode well for the upcoming games - Arsenal, Leicester (twice) and Man United.

I thought it was clear we only look cohesive with the ball when fabs is on it.  Plus I can't say enough that what is the point of playing 6 defenders (i.e. both matic and kante) if defensively it doesn't even seem to matter!?  Pushing oscar up higher and letting matic stay back was nice to see.  

It just seems that our offensive players in this modern game are not getting the same support from proper outside backs as other teams' flanks are.  I thought an early switch of bringing alonso (not even a fan yet, just the only real LB we have) on and letting him and  azpi give our wingers some movement outside.  it's so easy to defend us because of this.  And again, it's not like we're getting clean sheets to justify it!  

I'm not losing faith, but I'm definitely a bit suspicious as to how this season is starting.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

This worries me though...

Oh well, fair enough. At least he didn't pull a Mourinho and say players had failed him.

You're absolutely right on the 2nd part. I hope he watches the game back a couple of times.

From www.chelseafc.com

Conte:  ‘I’m guilty because I’m the coach and it means I have to work more. We must feel the danger in every single moment of the game if we want to win and think like a great team. We must pay attention and be focused."

1 minute ago, Essien19 said:

He'll bounce back. If he plays a new guy and that guy happens to make a mistake, hell breaks loose anyways. Conte knows stuff, the team will go back to the winning days.

What should he have done differently apart from not subbing on Batshuayi?

Starting your best passer would be a start; Oscar and Matic are too weak at resisting counter-pressing and you KNEW a Klopp-coached away team press the hell out of you. Granted Fabregas isn't a monster in that area himself to put it mildly but that midfield-3 consisting of Kante, Matic, and Oscar didn't work in the 1st half at all and you were already losing 0:2 anyway. Bringing on Fabregas for one of Oscar/Matic should have been a priority at half-time.

*-Conference call: Hard work ahead-*

conference-call--hard-work-ahead.img.png

Antonio Conte, reflecting on our 2-1 defeat to Liverpool, felt we paid the price for a collective lack of concentration at vital times in the game.Liverpool scored twice in the opening 45 minutes to gain the ascendancy in the contest, before Diego Costa pulled one back midway through the second half.Conte, though, felt we only had ourselves to blame for the manner in which we allowed Liverpool to score their goals.

‘In the first half, I must be honest, I think we gave away two goals,’ said the Italian. ‘The first goal came after a free-kick which they took very quickly and the second after a throw-in. From long distance it was a great goal but when you give away two goals in that way it’s very difficult.‘These are tough games and I think you must pay attention in every moment, every single minute of the game, because that makes the difference. In this case we paid because after the first half we were losing 2-0 and then it’s very difficult.‘In the second half we scored the goal and then missed a chance to draw level through Costa. We had some chances to draw but it was too late.’

Conte explained why he waited until late in the game to make three substitutions

‘In the second half we started with the same players and you saw another game, with great intensity. We scored the goal and created chances so for this reason I waited to make the substitutions. In the last 10 minutes I changed three players to try to give freshness and change the result.‘In that moment I had to decide whether or not to put two wingers in. I wanted to change a midfielder to put Fabregas on but it could have been Batshuayi and not either Moses or Pedro. I needed to put Hazard closer to Diego.’

The Chelsea head coach, who said David Luiz played very well, believes there is a lot of hard work ahead

‘Every single game is very tough and we mustn’t forget last season. That’s important because it was a bad season and I don’t want to repeat that. When you finish in 10th place it’s something strange, it’s not natural or simple. It means we have to work very hard to improve.

‘I’m guilty because I’m the coach and it means I have to work more. We must feel the danger in every single moment of the game if we want to win and think like a great team. We must pay attention and be focused.’

chelseafc.com

Hopefully a wake up call this match. Must understand some things, such as:

- We're fed up with negative tactics, especially against big teams. 

- Fabregas is Chelsea's best midfielder by a mile.

- No Chelsea fan is going to cry for Ivanovic, Oscar, Matic, Cahill if these frauds are benched.

- Ivanovic's contract is due to end next summer. Conte must be against the board offering him a new deal. These 9 months must be the last for Ivanovic in a Chelsea shirt.

- 7 minutes is not enough for three new players to turn around a football match, no matter how tired the opposition is. 

20 minutes ago, Essien19 said:

He'll bounce back. If he plays a new guy and that guy happens to make a mistake, hell breaks loose anyways. Conte knows stuff, the team will go back to the winning days.

What should he have done differently apart from not subbing on Batshuayi?

Exactly. Apart from Batshuayi there was not much i can fault him on. The players just performed poorly. After a team talk they improved. 

Remember, Pedro slips on rubber floors and Moses was born with tunnel vision. Fabregas and Batshuayi were the only choices, and against liverpool especially a 2 man midfield with cesc is risky.