The Mourinho Thread

Sign up that Adebayor lad on a free and sell 'em next year for a profit. Next pop in a 50p bid for that Alexis Texas fella from the Ukraine. I hear Niko Krankjar is available for loan, get 'em for a season and a half at 50% wages with an option to buy for half a mill.

We don't need another over-the-hill striker in Adebayor but that Texeira chap looks like a decent punt with his goals and age.

No but money has made it possible for managers to win titles.

Can't understand why I should feel sympathy for a manager just because he won a tittle when it was expected because of money spent.

There's nothing amazing about winning a PL when you spend a lot of money.

If anything, minnows like Pellegrini and Mancini winning a tittle shows that it's nothing special if you spend good money on players.

When you spend a standard is expected. Simple and nothing more.

Going forward, Mourinho or another manager coming in will have to make do with sensible spending with transfer budgets far below what the Manchester clubs can spend. Probably more akin to Bayern Munich's transfer budget. Regardless of FFP.

Hence. proper scouting for cheaper targets and promoting home-grown youth comes vital. The club can't keep wasting millions on the likes of Cuadrado, Schurlle and Salah without making a dent in its cash flow. Moreover, the new stadium is the top priority for budget matters and there's won't be too much left over for splashing out on players.

Van Gaal played Jese Lingaard and Nick Powell in United's crucial CL tie :lol:

Mourinho may be a bit frustrating with the youth, but my God I'm glad he doesn't feel youth (like those two Van Gaal fields) that are clearly not or never will be good enough.

Dont worry mate, there are more supporters for Mourinho outside of this little forum, that is what matters in the end. Second observation I've made is that there are a lot of similar faces who are always for sacking a manager or slating them. Same faces who want Ancelotti in for Mourinho were the same people calling for his head after one trophyless season.

Same people who disappeared after Norwich and showed up post Bournemouth.

Van Gaal played Jese Lingaard and Nick Powell in United's crucial CL tie :lol:

Mourinho may be a bit frustrating with the youth, but my God I'm glad he doesn't feel youth (like those two Van Gaal fields) that are clearly not or never will be good enough.

rooney, valencia, herrera, jones, shaw, morgan, rojo are all injured. what did you expect him to do?

also, even if other managers need the feel to play youth, jose is the right at the opposite of the other spectrum. he feels the need to DESTROY young players. case in point lukaku. a year of etoo was somehow better than developing lukaku. THAT in all honesty is LOL-MAX.

I already see some of the fake fans coming out to fire him, and I need to back our legend. We need him.

Jose is the best manager in the world by quite some distance, only Ancelotti and maybe Pep even come close, but I still think Pep is a checkbook manager and hasn't really been tested when it comes to building a team himself.

We are just getting unlucky. A lot of these plastics are trying to poison our fan base but we just need to stick it out.

Reasons why we are losing:

1. Refs always robbing us. I am not going to say full out conspiracy, but there is clearly some collusion between refs when it comes to Chelsea.

2. Players. Our players are not good enough. Its clear that the likes of Fabregas, Oscar, Hazard, Costa, etc are not the caliber of players that Chelsea needs and the board failed Jose in getting proper starters that would help us challenge for a European spot, and now it looks like we won't be able to get it. Not Jose's fault at all if we are being honest (looking at you Emenalo).

3. Pure unlucky. Honestly, just look at how many matches we didn't win due to luck: Liverpool, Spurs (that Lloris save), Man City, etc. Sometimes luck just can't go our way when we need it and we can't really blame anyone else but God for this. In an alternate universe we could have won these games and been at least upper mid table, if not CL spot.

4. No real leaders. When you look at the squad, who is really that voice that can bring the team together? No one. We lost our spine. Without the likes of Ashley Cole, Cech, Kalou, how can we expect this team to win? We really need a Terry type character in the room, and we simply don't have it at the moment.

5. Players are not focused on tracking back enough. We made great progress in getting rid of the lazies early on in Mourinho's time here with KDB and Mata, but I dont think we did enough. It's clear that some of these players are more interested in taking on the defenders and pulling out some flair moves instead of tracking back their man and working for the team. Even Costa is joining in now and pretending to be a winger. Its getting really bad and I think getting rid of these "flair" players is a necessity before we can really see progress. When your attackers are more interested in looking to score and assist than defending, you know you have a problem. You can out-defend a team, but you can't really outscore one. Fundamentals need to come first.

6. Youth are letting down our club. We seem to have the most arrogant and least skilled youth around. The likes of Barca and Bayern seem to have some very down to earth players coming through their ranks, and we are stuck with the likes of RLC and co. Its just annoying at this point as they seem more interested in playing time than developing PL experience. They need to be more patient and humble, they wont get playing time until they get more PL experience.

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH... oh welll... :lol: :lol: i needed this. thanks man

Some fans make Chelsea look like a small club. Real Madrid put Mourinho in his place and fired him after an awful season. There is no doubt who is the big character between Real and Jose. To other side, it seems Chelsea is not allowed to fire Mourinho, because the portuguese is bigger than the club.

"Nao tao ao céu, nem tao ao inferno"

Real Madrid has always overreacted when it comes to Managers. Their presidents have egos bigger than Earth. Just look at Ancelotti, even with the players AND supporters asking for him to stay and Perez didnt care. Following their actions isnt a good thing at all!

Now, we also dont need to be like some other clubs who wait until things are almost unsalvable until taking any kind of action.

P.S: I do think Jose deserves to be sacked, I just disagree with the RM comparison.

Absolutely not, some people disappear when the results are good and reappear when we lose, I'm not talking about you.

And that saddens me, because pretty much everyone here can have fair points, but the fact that they feel the need to express their anger and criticize Mourinho and everything Chelsea related more than celebrating victories and stating the positive points really annoys me.

I don't have problems debating with people, just don't disappear and come back reigniting the subject when it suits you the most, eg. when we are losing, I hate that.

fair enough mate. i thought you actually agreed with the post below.
well "supporters for mourinho", will be there, but unfortunately for mourinho most of us on here are supporters of chelsea. and right now, jose is doing NOTHING but destroying the club.
as for the 2nd part of the below post - "a trophyless season". how is that even same. we might still win a trophy. an FA cup or maybe if GOD is a chelsea fan, then CL. that is hardly the point though. the point is our general play is RIDICULOUS. even in wins, we seem to go a couple of steps back. his favouritism is ruining the club with players like iva, cesc and oscar playing week in and week out. i mean keeping azpi, without a shred of doubt our best defender and infact the only player apart from willian who can hold his head high, was benched because jose just could not drop his favourite ivanovic. RIDICULOUS. should get the sack simply for that. and then there is the youth. oh well, lesser said, the better.

Dont worry mate, there are more supporters for Mourinho outside of this little forum, that is what matters in the end. Second observation I've made is that there are a lot of similar faces who are always for sacking a manager or slating them. Same faces who want Ancelotti in for Mourinho were the same people calling for his head after one trophyless season.

Hey guys, if Mourinho doesn't survive after Porto I will apply for the manager role. My back room team would be:

Assistant Managers: @DYC., @OhForAGreavsie, @lionsden

Coaching staff: @Magic Lamps (fitness), @Peace. (technique), @The Chels (defending), @Tomo (goalkeeping), @Muzchap (attacking).

Scouting team: @Spike (chief), @stroey, @Fulham Broadway, @Stats

Cheerleaders: @Jason, @BlueLion, @didierforever

I'm bringing in a new DoF too: @Special Juan

I'm ready to bring us back into the top 4 at the very least, this season.

Edit:

Almost forgot a very important staff member! Our new tea lady: @Leif.

Thanks again Skipper, haven't laughed that hard for a while on here, especially in this thread.

Will remember this post and vote it as post of the year, or at least joke of the year :P.

Adam Bate

Comment and Analysis @ghostgoal

Jose Mourinho says Chelsea are creating chances but is he right?

Last Updated: 08/12/15 6:09pm

Jose Mourinho's Chelsea have struggled but what do the stats say?

Jose Mourinho insists Chelsea's underlying numbers are good, but is he right? We take a look.

Mourinho not thinking about axe

Jose Mourinho insists he retains the support of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich.

Jose Mourinho was in defiant mood ahead of Wednesday's Champions League tie with Porto. The Chelsea boss hasn't always been one to get bogged down by the numbers but with results going badly, he is taking comfort in the belief that there are positive signs if you look hard enough.

"I feel a contradiction between the quality of the work and what happens on the pitch," he said in his pre-match press conference on Tuesday. "Look, statistics are statistics, but if you analyse the numbers you can get some good information.

"Match after match, we beat Chelsea records of high intensity work. In the last three matches we beat the records three times. We ran and worked more than ever, and at a certain intensity we'd never done before.

Our levels of ball possession are much higher than before, too. Our chances are higher than ever. Our number of goals is lower than ever. So, football people like you are intelligent. You have the numbers, you read the numbers, you draw some conclusions.

Jose Mourinho

"Our levels of ball possession are much higher than before, too. Our chances are higher than ever. Our number of goals is lower than ever. So, football people like you [the media] are intelligent. You have the numbers, you read the numbers, you draw some conclusions."

Let's take Mourinho up on the challenge. Is he right? With the help of Opta, we took a look at the key points raised by the Chelsea boss in search of substance to support his claims. The matter can be tackled by looking at the various metrics that he has highlighted…

Jose targets Champions League

Jose Mourinho says winning this season's Champions League is Chelsea's best way back in.

Possession

Mourinho clearly has a point here. Chelsea's overall possession in the Premier League this season stands at 56.7 per cent, up from their total of 55.8 per cent in last season's title-winning campaign. Only three teams - Manchester United, Arsenal and Manchester City - have had more of the ball.

Leicester's presence in the bottom three for possession is a reminder of the oft-repeated mantra that it's what you do with the ball that counts. But it's no coincidence that Europe's best sides see more of the ball and Mourinho is entitled to view this as evidence that the issues can be resolved.

Mourinho believes his job is safe despite Chelsea's recent struggles

Intensity

On the face of it, the tracking data from Chelsea's last three games is less conclusive. Bournemouth outran them by over nine kilometres, with more sprints and a greater percentage of their time spent making high-intensity runs. Tottenham outdid them on all three metrics in the previous game too.

However, what Mourinho is likely to be looking at is the upturn in comparison to the efforts of his players earlier in the season. Certainly, there are some encouraging signs here to support his claim that Chelsea "ran and worked more than ever" in recent matches.

In Chelsea's first 11 Premier League games of the season, they passed the 500-sprint mark only once. In contrast, they have since surpassed this number in three of their last four matches. Results have not improved, but this data suggests Mourinho has had a response from his players in terms of effort.

Chelsea sprints - Premier League 2015/16

Period

No of matches

Average sprints

Aug - Oct 2015

Nov 2015 to date

Chances

Mourinho has regularly pointed to the opportunities squandered by his team in explaining their poor results this season and Chelsea's presence among the Premier League's top six for chances created would appear to support this view.

Arsenal and Manchester City are the two teams to have created the most chances and are also the two favourites to win the league. Chelsea are not far behind on this metric despite struggling to find the net. "I think it's clear that we create so many chances and we don't score goals," said Mourinho.

"It's obvious that it's not a question of developing the game, going through the phases of the build-up and arriving at the last moment, putting the ball in the net. We are arriving at so many situations where we just need a tap in, and we're not doing that."

Premier League 2015/16 - Chance comparison

Team

Chances created

Clear chances

Arsenal

Man City

Chelsea

But…

Where Mourinho might be wrong in his assessment, is that there is a startling difference between the quality of chances produced by the top teams and those being fashioned by Chelsea this season.

Opta defines a clear chance as one that a player might reasonably be expected to score. In other words, the tap-ins to which Mourinho referred. Chelsea ranked joint-top on this metric last season alongside both Arsenal and Manchester City (66 chances) but it's been very different this year.

While Arsenal and City once again lead the way, with leaders Leicester next on the list, only one Premier League team has created fewer clear-cut chances than Chelsea this season. That suggests there are issues "through the phases of the build-up" as well as with the final touches

Conclusion

Mourinho has always been a coach concerned with the details and it's intriguing that he's opted to share some of these thoughts. Clearly, he is looking for evidence of a response from his team and is understandably comforted by underlying data that suggests the problems will not continue.

In terms of the team's possession numbers and recent sprinting stats, there are positive signs. The number of chances created offers hope too. But the data for clear-chances created is a reminder that there is much work left to do before Chelsea's issues are resolved.