The Mourinho Thread

We have been away to Etihad, Anfield, Goodison Park, Old Trafford, Britannia, St James Park, Stadium of Light already and still have 3 points gap :yay:

While City still have to go away to Anfield, Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, Goodison Park and Britannia.

Thread awfully quiet for some reason

He got it spot on last night, more or less. Except I was hoping the first sub came quicker.

Mourinho always silence his doubters :D The team is simply winning, and because we are very ungrateful, we'll wait the day we lose to criticize, and criticize, and criticize.

We have been away to Etihad, Anfield, Goodison Park, Old Trafford, Britannia, St James Park, Stadium of Light already and still have 3 points gap :yay:

While City still have to go away to Anfield, Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, Goodison Park and Britannia.

The problem is that all those teams (Except us offcourse) will just bend over for city. They will be beaten in their own yard. I will be fine if we maintained the 3 point gap till match day 38.

Lol we don't need to praise Mourinho every time he gets it right :lol: - A lot of self righteousness here. All this talk about fans wanting him to fail smh -_-

Yeah, but when he does the smallest and most insignificant thing wrong for some, it goes on and on. Even when he does nothing some people come to criticize how pragmatic, conservative, bad dressed he is.

So it's sort of normal to expect the same when he does changes and we win or maybe, just maybe, there should be a little bit more praise because the pragmatic and conservative manager has got us at the top of the league for 17 matchweeks now... out of 17.

Yeah, but when he does the smallest and most insignificant thing wrong for some, it goes on and on. Even when he does nothing some people come to criticize how pragmatic, conservative, bad dressed he is.

So it's sort of normal to expect the same when he does changes and we win or maybe, just maybe, there should be a little bit more praise because the pragmatic and conservative manager has got us at the top of the league for 17 matchweeks now... out of 17.

But that's a natural phenomenon. It's good to criticise and discuss matters, to have others offer rebuttals.. Posts that mention the silence in an 'in-your-face' way discourages conversations that may seem moot, but offers constructive debates.

I remember at the beginning of the season I was saying how our weakest link was the defense, in particular cahill.

But people didn't want to see it because we was winning and killing teams.

People don't want to see the red flags, and those red flags become glaring obvious when the tough time comes.

And we have had very few so far and seen how out of place he's been.

So in that note I agree with LDN Blue. Criticism is good because those are the red flags that warn us about weakness under the hood.

Now I also agree some people are just miserable all the time and never satisfied with anything like a few around here...

But that's a natural phenomenon. It's good to criticise and discuss matters, to have others offer rebuttals.. Posts that mention the silence in an 'in-your-face' way discourages conversations that may seem moot, but offers constructive debates.

so why not discuss the changes he's made yesterday?

That's the whole point of the post. It was so damn quiet. A lot of people were saying before match how difficult that match was going to be, crucial for us and whatnot. Then he makes a change, we win comfortably and not one word here about it is posted. Had we drawn or worse, lost, them this place would be on fire. I'm not saying we shouldn't discuss. But there are people who are only willing to engage into discussions these days if it's about moaning, criticizing, etc...

What he did yesterday offered a lot of food for thought... still no one talks about it

so why not discuss the changes he's made yesterday?

That's the whole point of the post. It was so damn quiet. A lot of people were saying before match how difficult that match was going to be, crucial for us and whatnot. Then he makes a change, we win comfortably and not one word here about it is posted. Had we drawn or worse, lost, them this place would be on fire. I'm not saying we shouldn't discuss. But there are people who are only willing to engage into discussions these days if it's about moaning, criticizing, etc...

What he did yesterday offered a lot of food for thought... still no one talks about it

Had we not won yesterday, people would be blaming Mourinho for playing Mikel in midfield..

Had we not won yesterday, people would be blaming Mourinho for playing Mikel in midfield..

I don't like our midfield with him, I feel that to play Cesc behind the striker and give us more in the final third we have to play Mikel. It doesn't mean it wasn't effective. I was complaining about it through and through though. I hate that we lose to much in the pivot, in the transition, in the way we dominate midfield to have Cesc behind the striker.

we need someone better to replace Cesc in the pivot. I'm positive Mourinho moved Cesc ahead for a combination of two things: the game was too physical for Oscar to play at all and too physical to have Cesc in the pivot. The change isn't only about Oscar. If Oscar handled those games better, Cesc would still play #10 and Willian would be dropped. So imo Cesc was moved higher also because it would have been suicidal to play him in the pivot away at Stoke

But the idea of Mikel still makes me frustrated. Hopefully when Ramires finally recovers (maybe he also had mono, who knows) he'll get a chance there too because I'd rather have Ramires and Matic than Matic and Mikel. But who knows if that'll work.

So Mourinho's asking bench players to be patient and make sacrifices for the good of the team. Is there truth to that statement? Yes. Do players have a right to be mad when they think they've made the effort to be given a chance even when others are struggling? I would also say yes. It's a real 50/50 situation.

I don't like our midfield with him, I feel that to play Cesc behind the striker and give us more in the final third we have to play Mikel. It doesn't mean it wasn't effective. I was complaining about it through and through though. I hate that we lose to much in the pivot, in the transition, in the way we dominate midfield to have Cesc behind the striker.

we need someone better to replace Cesc in the pivot. I'm positive Mourinho moved Cesc ahead for a combination of two things: the game was too physical for Oscar to play at all and too physical to have Cesc in the pivot. The change isn't only about Oscar. If Oscar handled those games better, Cesc would still play #10 and Willian would be dropped. So imo Cesc was moved higher also because it would have been suicidal to play him in the pivot away at Stoke

But the idea of Mikel still makes me frustrated. Hopefully when Ramires finally recovers (maybe he also had mono, who knows) he'll get a chance there too because I'd rather have Ramires and Matic than Matic and Mikel. But who knows if that'll work.

Actually Jose moved Cesc forward because he wanted to start Mikel in the pivot, not the other way around (which means I was completely wrong when I said that Jose should play Oscar at 10 when Cesc is out of the pivot). He said so himself after the game and hinted at it before. He said we want to match Stoke's physicality in midfield and we wanted to play with two holding midfielders to leave no space for Bojan to operate in and to "cage" Crouch so that even if we don't win first balls, we are sure to win second balls.

Analyzing the match tactically a bit, I think Mikel played an important role yesterday. He had very good defensive numbers yesterday, though obviously incomparable to Matic's who was simply world class. But more importantly, I think the role he played allowed Matic the freedom to put on the incredible display we say yesterday. That is because Mikel's discipline means that Nemanja can cover a much larger area with his pressing and tackling. He could cover for fullbacks and press higher without having to worry about leaving the center and back four exposed, especially on transitions.

The two together in the middle of the park also allows us to physically dominate the opposition in the middle of the park which was obvious by the fact that Cameron's and Nzzonzi's were practically invisible in the match. It also cuts down the amount of work the back four have to do since both are so excellent defensively and almost completely annihilates the possibility of an opposition player running at our CBs which has been a major issue this season.

The down side is that we lose a creative player in the team as well as a goal threat and just a body in the final third. So obviously not something for every game, but I thought it was certainly a promising experiment and I expect it to make a few more appearances before the end of the season.

Luis, Schurrle and Cech amoungst other's must not be happy with their lack of play time this season yet despite that their doesn't seem to be a murmur of discontent between any one.

Goes to show just how good Mourinhos man management is, not many managers could leave out such high profile player's constantly without noises of discontent.

So Mourinho's asking bench players to be patient and make sacrifices for the good of the team. Is there truth to that statement? Yes. Do players have a right to be mad when they think they've made the effort to be given a chance even when others are struggling? I would also say yes. It's a real 50/50 situation.

Funniest thing is, we have one of the smaller sides in the pl. It's simply because we've remained injury free that those fringe players dont get more chances.. The only way they get time is via suspensions

Likewise, same folks who said Mikel was not culpable for the loss against Newcastle are now saying Mikel played a pivotal role in the win yesterday.... :)