Michael Essien

LDN Blue

I am surprised. I thought he would continue to play in a big league. Greek Superleague is a mickey mouse league and it's boring so i'm not extremely happy for the Bison.

One can guarantee that he will have a good time staying here though and the fans will give him much love for sure.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
16 hours ago, DYC. said:

It's a damn shame his legacy has been so heavily tainted because of how his career has ended/is ending. Those knee-injuries were a travesty.

But it can not and must not be forgotten how good this man was for Lyon and Chelsea in his prime. He was one of the very best around and in his position/role, one of the best the world has witnessed. One of the most ridiculous athletes I've seen in the world of football. Many are nowadays referred to as 'beasts' but this man was The Beast, even though he only stood at 5ft10.

Also one of the few Chelsea players who was universally loved. He was quiet and reserved in public but you could just feel he was a top bloke.

I always think of this picture when I think of him btw.

ess9.jpg

If I remember right, before Mata came and started sharing his blogs on the Chelsea website, there used to be articles from Essien. Always had a smile on his face, and was involved in a lot of funny moments like this

[media]

15 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

If I remember right, before Mata came and started sharing his blogs on the Chelsea website, there used to be articles from Essien. Always had a smile on his face, and was involved in a lot of funny moments like this

[media]

I really miss the African clique. They were fun and I don't know, I felt like they became a part of the Chelsea identity.

Is it just me or has Chelsea (TV) stopped making videos like this?

Whilst the likes of Cech, Ashley Cole, Lampard and Drogba have gone, we have managed to replace these players for the most part pretty well when the worry would always be how we would cope without them.

But this guy has never been replaced properly. At the time nobody could hold a candle to him with regards to a box to box player. Everybody used to refer to people like Lampard and Gerrard as box to box but teams were built around them to allow them to flourish attacking (hence why they were so piss poor together for England). This guy was a genuine box to box player and in his prime I can't ever remember a player being able to dominate him.

5 hours ago, DYC. said:

I really miss the African clique. They were fun and I don't know, I felt like they became a part of the Chelsea identity.

Is it just me or has Chelsea (TV) stopped making videos like this?

It seems to be the standards have dropped a bit...whereas clubs like Man City are very creative with the type of content they put out..

Most recently, I saw video titled 'JT's top 5 moments' at the club...and it starts at no. 2.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

25 minutes ago, Bernard N Y Burgesson said:

Yo hold your horses he was a great player no doubt but dont act as thou we were a gerard or lampard or even a toni kroos or any other world best nominee.
Thats what i meant. But he was great thou

Sent from my SHV-E250K using Tapatalk

When you say "average" I automatically imagine your average, truly average player that mid- and low-table clubs are filled with, meaning there are hundreds or thousands of players above them. There was only one Essien though. In his role Essien was undoubtedly one of the best, if not the best in the world. I can't remember anyone who could measure up to him at his peak, can you? Put Toni Kroos to perform Essien's role and you will be in for a shock at how below average the guy is, the same if you put Essien in Toni's role. So yes, I consider Essien to have been world class in his position - world class meaning you are among a few of the most highly regarded players in the best leagues of the world. Hell, Real Madrid even loaned him after he was far from his best and still played regularly for them, so a top top club like Real and a top coach like Mourinho rated him even when his main physical assets were greatly reduced. So when you include him in a list with the likes of truly average players like SWP and Alex, then that is taking the piss on what the man brought to the team when he was here. We had plenty of Sidwells and Kalous who would fit that list much better, Essien looks just so out of place there.

When you say "average" I automatically imagine your average, truly average player that mid- and low-table clubs are filled with, meaning there are hundreds or thousands of players above them. There was only one Essien though. In his role Essien was undoubtedly one of the best, if not the best in the world. I can't remember anyone who could measure up to him at his peak, can you? Put Toni Kroos to perform Essien's role and you will be in for a shock at how below average the guy is, the same if you put Essien in Toni's role. So yes, I consider Essien to have been world class in his position - world class meaning you are among a few of the most highly regarded players in the best leagues of the world. Hell, Real Madrid even loaned him after he was far from his best and still played regularly for them, so a top top club like Real and a top coach like Mourinho rated him even when his main physical assets were greatly reduced. So when you include him in a list with the likes of truly average players like SWP and Alex, then that is taking the piss on what the man brought to the team when he was here. We had plenty of Sidwells and Kalous who would fit that list much better, Essien looks just so out of place there.

Sorry for not getting it right wasnt saying it as a mid or low table average thou but yea Kalou fits better. And yes it was Mourinho that wanted him no other coach who coached real madrid will even bother thinking about him or have him on their list so like i said he was great but the type of player other teams will die for. I still wish matic or kante had that deadly shot Essien possessed

Sent from my SHV-E250K using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

My local football club (Persib Bandung in Indonesia) signed Essien! Shocking

persib-ungkap-alasan-datangkan-michael-e

michael-essien_20170314_121111.jpg

Note : It is 100% real not photoshopped, lol.

News Reports :

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10801409/former-chelsea-midfielder-michael-essien-joins-indonesian-side-persib-bandung

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39268550

Also the manager said that they are trying to sign Drogba too! The negotiation is still on going. Too bad it seems we will not seeing him as a coach anytime soon, lol.

Update :

Well, no Drogba sadly, but hey, we sign Carlton Cole instead! Chelsea reunion :yay:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10818153/carlton-cole-joins-former-chelsea-team-mate-michael-essien-at-persib-bandung

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39442024