Michael Essien

LDN Blue

Tbf, in 2009, when he signed that contract, he was still regarded as one of the best midfielders in the world..

He signed a contract in 2008 which would have kept him at the club until 2013. In that same year he suffered a knee injury that kept him out of the game for over 6 months and that wasn't even the first one of those in his career. After recovering from that, he went on to play well for the remainder of the season and even started the next one with some great performances but the fear of a new serious injury was always there. The fears soon became a reality when he missed the second half of the 09/10 season due to a knee injury he sustained at the 2010 African Cup of Nations and at the time there were predictions that he would never be the same again.

Despite all that, the club offered him an extension in June 2010 even though he still had three years left of his previous contract and there would have been more than enough time to see whether he makes a full recovery or not before offering him that new contract. His performances were not the same since that but he was still a useful player then. After another six months on the sidelines last season did some further damage and now he's been shit for a while now. As much as I like Essien, giving a 5 year deal to a player with only one knee was probably one of the biggest mistakes the board have made over the years.

Sell him and get in a class DM would be great.

If he is sold there is not going to be any replacement me think. We have Romeu, Meireles, Lampard, and Mikel for two positions, all that it change is Romeu moving up in the pecking order.

i don`t know if they still do it nor 100% if it`s true, but i heard when Dean Saunders went off to play in Turkey when he arrived they cut the throat of a goat infront of him and smeared the blood on his him for luck.

i really don`t want to diss anyone for their culture but even by my standards i find that a bit radio rental. hope Bison is prepared for that if he goes to them and they still do it/do it

Essien expected to join exodus

Michael Essien looks set to be the latest player to move in Chelsea's extensive summer makeover, with the Ghanaian midfielder attracting serious interest from Fenerbahce.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1144843?&cc=4716

i don`t know if they still do it nor 100% if it`s true, but i heard when Dean Saunders went off to play in Turkey when he arrived they cut the throat of a goat infront of him and smeared the blood on his him for luck.

i really don`t want to diss anyone for their culture but even by my standards i find that a bit radio rental. hope Bison is prepared for that if he goes to them and they still do it/do it

african culture is similar and so was Roman...not disgusting just different

to have a goat sacrificed for you is a tremendous acclaim . I received with it with pride mingled with humility

was you told/asked beforehand?

it`s that really that kinda made me think how mad that would be..i just had an image in my minds eye of him meeting the club,fans etc..for the first time and what would be going through his head if they just dropped it on him, like i imagine say Oscar`s face would drop the first time he`s offered jellied eels for example. :D

anyway i guess it would be something Essien would be aware of if they do it in Africa too..

Would get rid of him sooner rather than later. Don't get me wrong, he's a lovely guy but he simply has absolutely nothing to offer by now. We should have sold him a year ago before he got injured that summer, we probably would have got 20+m now we can be lucky if we get 10 or so. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2194947/Fenerbahce-want-Raul-Meireles-Michael-Essien-Chelsea.html

Reportedly they alsow ant Meireles, I'd gladly part with, too. Would like Capoue or M'vila as replacement

It would be utter suicide selling both Essien and Meireles so late without any replacement, our double pivot would look terrifyingly thin, unless RDM has plans to play Oscar there or move back to 4-3-3.

Essien if we get a good offer we should sell but Meireles (as he showed at the weekend) can still offer a decent squad role for this season atleast.

Lets not do a Arsenal and chuck away all our experience in one go.

There shouldn't be any need of signing a defensive midfielder if Essien leaves this summer.I am sure that Romeu can be a direct replacement and would benefit the team more with his inclusion rather than of Essiens.

Michael has been an integral part of the team and I thank him for all of his contributions.He definitely was one of the best midfielders in the world but its best if we move on and give the youth more chances.