Michael Essien

LDN Blue

Nothing wrong with what he said. He's been with us for many years, and it's perfectly understandable if he doesn't want to leave. And he said he would fight for his place, and you can bet he will. Plus, he's shown that he can still be a pretty useful player.

Nothing wrong with what he said. He's been with us for many years, and it's perfectly understandable if he doesn't want to leave. And he said he would fight for his place, and you can bet he will. Plus, he's shown that he can still be a pretty useful player.

No he has not. A couple of good 45mins against lower opposition in pre-season account for nothing. I am not saying that he is useless either, I'm saying that he needs to prove that he is still useful.

No he has not. A couple of good 45mins against lower opposition in pre-season account for nothing. I am not saying that he is useless either, I'm saying that he needs to prove that he is still useful.

I didn't say he proved he was useful. I carefully chose my words. :P

doesnt matter either way we're gona replace him next season with proper 25mil+ signing. unless we have plans for KDB to play there.

we're in a tough position cuz we want to clear house quickly but then dont have capability to replace all of them this transfer window.......i mean dont get me wrong essien is a shell of himself but with a rw and rb still needed even after we bough cm (oscar), cam/lw (hazard) and lw/rw (marin) we have too many moving pieces in the squad. no to mention we expect 2 to be regular starters!

• 4 weeks later...

He doesn't really offer us that much anymore.

Romeu is a better tackler.

Mikel is more cool-headed under pressure (although that's sometimes a bad thing.)

He doesn't really offer anything anymore that Lampard doesn't.

Oscar is the better passer out of the two.

It's a shame.

He used to get games because of his stamina pretty much, but that seems to have gone.

He also looks frightened to make tackles at times as, I assume, he's worried he'll injure himself.

Hope he gets sold soon. Loved him as a player, but it would make much more sense freeing up the wage bill and using Romeu more or McEachran when he's back.

he's washed up, another case of injuries ending a player's career. lat year was last straw, you cant take that many knee operations and be same player, honestly even one knee procedure takes people a whole year to get back to 100%.

and plus romeu is a true dm to replace mikel nd RDM has told Oscar he thinks he can play in lampards position, not to mention mierles and how well he played their not only yesterday but for portugal as well in Euros.

so with mikel,lamps,mierles,romeu and then oscar essien is unfortuneatly forzen out.

Michael Essien has not play for the BLUES for a very long time and i think is time he should be given the chance after recovering from injury and played few matches last season.

You could've simply asked that in Essien's thread rather then creating a new one just for the sake of 1 question. Merged.

Anyway, welcome to the forum :)

Michael Essien has not play for the BLUES for a very long time and i think is time he should be given the chance after recovering from injury and played few matches last season.

welcome, Im sure you are a supporter of him but last season wasnt good and frankly it doesnt look as if he has a future here now.

A move to a less demanding league might prolong his career but he would have to take a cut in money unless he went to China , Russia or the Gulf

Our board has been amazing this transfer window, but keeping Essien is a huge mistake imo. We can still get a good 8m for him right now, but if we don't sell him now we will have to let him go for free and pay his wages till the end of his contract.

How much time is on his contract? If its a couple of years, why not loan him? Maybe 6 months to see if he can play regular football.

2015. I wonder who's idea it was to offer a contract that long to a player who already had a bad history with knee injuries...

2015. I wonder who's idea it was to offer a contract that long to a player who already had a bad history with knee injuries...

Tbf, in 2009, when he signed that contract, he was still regarded as one of the best midfielders in the world..