Asmir Begovic

Definitely an upgrade on the situation. One is a world class goal keeper, unhappy on the bench and will always leave.

The other one is a top goalkeeper who decided to be a back up and is happy with it. Plus is HG and has a good age (problem solved for many seasons, unlike Schwarzer who was 40. )

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Begovic is 5 years younger than Cech, HG, happy to sit on the bench, will have lower wages and is a top quality GK.

While Cech is obviously still the better player the situation with Begovic is much better. Couple in the fact that we'll have made a profit in these 2 transfers aswell and this is turning out to be a pretty good bit of business from the club. Just have to hope that Arsenal don't wise up and fix their other serious problem (DM) and/or get lucky with injuries next season or we could have a possible challenger on our hands.

And if he leaves in couple of seasons, Mou can just bring Diego Lopez from Milan who will be like 35+ by then, experienced, trusts Mou and still good enough. Until then, we will have quality in Begovic, and if he wants to move, we will also make some profit.

I think the kind of fee a GK would command after a few years on the bench is pocket change for clubs like Chelsea. Resale value isn't important for backup goalies when you look at the history of transfers. Perform when you're called upon and you have proven your worth.

Did I read the part on Begovic signing a £4m per year contract right? Is it me or is that unsually high?

At first glance I too thought it was a pretty hefty wage but if you believe the database they have over on WAGNH he'd be in the third tier of earners alongside the likes of Mikel and Brana. Makes sense I guess seeing as we don't have the bargaining power and it'll probably be his last decent contract.

the stats are showing that begovic is better than Cech, that just shows how misleading they can be

i know but begovic played many games than cech last season thats why the stats look like that