Asmir Begovic

They have some great articles written by a couple of very good guys and theres alot of good active members on there.

And until April when we went to the Gooners I used to go there often. But the Gooners blog site on SB Nation did an interview (I think it was with David Pasztor) And there was alot of healthy banter going back n forth. But apparently I must have gone over the top by posting this. Which I thought was very mild and Id never INTENTIONALLY troll a place and if I was to it bloody well woldnt be using my real IP or username ffs!

th_weber-tears_zpsuvx0wodk.gif

Theres alot of people online who have very big egos and they like them being stroked at every opportunity.

I hope we do get him. I cant see us getting a better 2nd keeper really so we shouldn't umm and arhh about it.

I'm surprised Utd dont get Ospina. Id say we get him but I really do want him to fight for his place and make Petr sit on the bench. Oh what jolly fun that would be.

I was going to write that we got Szczęsny but I started laughing so much I couldn't see the keyboard.

II honestly don't see why Valdes doesn't become their new No 1. Which is how it will go imo.

You got banned from Goonerland? :D :D :D congrats

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

II honestly don't see why Valdes doesn't become their new No 1. Which is how it will go imo.

You got banned from Goonerland? :D :D :D congrats

No bruv - tho I have been thrown out of the ground before th_angel_zps7ssobjn5.gif

It was WAGNH I got banned from Cry_zpscfgzloue.gif

we sold our "backup" for 10/11 mil. we are just reinvesting a portion of that money.

But Cech will be Arsenals 1st choice keeper..Cech is going to get a lot more minutes at Arsenal than what Begovic is going to get here.

For example:

Man utds back up keeper..free

Schwarzer..free

But

Begovic..8mil??

But Cech will be Arsenals 1st choice keeper..Cech is going to get a lot more minutes at Arsenal than what Begovic is going to get here.

For example:

Schwarzer..free

But

Begovic..8mil??

We pay for quality, mate

For example:

Schwarzer..free

But

Begovic..8mil??

Would rather pay 8m for a safe pair of hands after years of watching Hilario, Turnbull etc

Would rather pay 8m for a safe pair of hands after years of watching Hilario, Turnbull etc

Yeah he's better quality than those two.

But how many appearances is he realistically going to make?

Shwarzer made 4 appreaces for us in 1 season.

Hilario, 20 in 8 seasons.

Turnbull, 7 in 4 seasons.

Cudicini, (after Cech was signed therefore made second choice). 40?? times in 5 seasons, mainly due to Cechs injury.

Where Cech is 11 mil and will make at least 30 apps in one season and will save them a shit load more points than Begovic would save us.

I just don't see how 8mil is feasible for a back up keeper, that's just me.

It's the same as when people say Sterling isn't worth 50mil.

Turnbull is also a CL medal winner! So..yeahh

For example:

Schwarzer..free

But

Begovic..8mil??

And it's not only the £8m Stoke want. Throw in the free loan they are also demanding and the deal approaches the amount Arsenal spent on Petr. Forking out the joint sixth-highest transfer fee ever paid for a goalkeeper, to purchase a backup, is an incredible, almost unbelievable, prospect. That said, I'm finding this prospect more acceptable than I did when it was first rumoured.

I've often read the opinion that we can't expect to have world class players as backups but I disagree. Well sort of anyway. Everyone agrees that we should aim to have world class starters, but my argument is that our backups should be world class backups. That's to say the best backups in the world. Begovic is such a player and would represent a powerful addition to our squad.

Yes the reported fee, and the reported cost of Begovic's contract, are both ridiculous but let's take advantage of our financial strength to target absolute quality. Too often in the past we've squandered our purchasing power on very poorly judged transfers. This time the decision makers have identified the right target. Let's bite the bullet, get the deal done, and move on with the rest of our summer plans.

For example:

Schwarzer..free

But

Begovic..8mil??

GK is not like any other outfield position where an injured/suspended matic can be replaced by a 20 year old CB in zouma.

a CL-winning aspiring team needs a proper backup GK even if he is a bit expensive.

real madrid have a second GK - keylor navas who cost them 10mil euros.

barcelona have a second GK - stegen/bravo (depending on your choice), both of whom were 12 mil euros.

ATM have 2 GKs who cost them a 19mil euros in total.

begovic gives us that safety of having an HG 2nd GK who while not being a match winner, wont be a match loser (aka green).

And it's not only the £8m Stoke want. Throw in the free loan they are also demanding and the deal approaches the amount Arsenal spent on Petr. Forking out the joint 6th highest transfer fee ever paid for a goalkeeper, to purchase a backup, is an incredible, almost unbelievable, prospect. That said, I'm finding this prospect more acceptable than I did when it was first rumoured.

I've often read the opinion that we can't expect to have world class players as backups but I disagree. Well sort of anyway. Everyone agrees that we should aim to have world class starters, but my argument is that our backups should be world class backups. That's to say the best backups in the world. Begovic is such a player and would represent a powerful addition to our squad.

Yes the reported fee, and the reported cost of Begovic's contract, are both ridiculous but let's take advantage of our financial strength to target absolute quality. Too often in the past we've squandered our purchasing power on very poorly judged transfers. This time the decision makers have identified the right target. Let's bite the bullet, get the deal done, and move on with the rest of our summer plans.

Yeah I'll get over the cost in time haha. Guess it's just another change in the market we are witnessing.

Yeah I'll get over the cost in time haha. Guess it's just another change in the market we are witnessing.

Spot on. Every time the Premier League signs a new TV contract sellers, especially canny European clubs, recalibrate their asking prices. Even though the latest deal won't kick in until the season after next, the transfer price hike is clearly in full effect.

We have to get a guy that we can TRUST. A lad we can trust the goal to if we need him in some CL game. We need to get the best we can and if it means paying a few quid for him its worth it.

Petr played 15 games last season and we was spoiled. It was the one position that I didn't mind which of the 2 players in that position was on the pitch. I couldn't say that about any other player.

This lad seems about the best on offer so I reckon unless the rags grab him we should.