Ashley Cole

Madmax

He's still underrated in my opinion.

He's England's greatest left-back, he's probably been the best England player over the last decade and there's a good case for him being our greatest ever player. That might sound strong, but I can't think of any other Chelsea player who has been the best in their position in the world over a number of seasons.

Possibly JT very few seasons back.

• 2 weeks later...

am I alone in thinking Ashley doesn't attack as much lately ...

The last time he was good going forward was 2010. He just doesn't have the legs he had to bomb up and down the flank for 90 mins nor can he cross like he used to. Still, I think his movement in the attack this season has helped to create space for our Wingers to exploit.

The last time he was good going forward was 2010. He just doesn't have the legs he had to bomb up and down the flank for 90 mins nor can he cross like he used to. Still, I think his movement in the attack this season has helped to create space for our Wingers to exploit.

I think you mean his LACK of movement in attack ...but you say last was in 2010 he was still playing in an attacking mode last season

Plus remember Malouda doing a lot of defensive work on the left side, helping Ash to feel safe when he went forward. We don't such a player now which makes Cole restricted in his runs as he has to cover more ground on the left flank.

strange to see praise for mALOUSY but you are correct he was good in defence

strange to see praise for mALOUSY but you are correct he was good in defence

Not only that, he was a good offensive player as well in 2009/10. His understanding with Ash was perfect, they just knew when they had to rotate.

Not only that, he was a good offensive player as well in 2009/10. His understanding with Ash was perfect, they just knew when they had to rotate.

when Malouda was good he was VERY VERY GOOD ... the tragedy was it wasnt often enough , He came in as French Player of the year had a poor start

then a great 18 months or so ......then went downhill ...great pity

After seeing Cole return to form (for the most part) recently, it's really evident just how much of a chasm is between Cole & Bertrand's natural talents. When deployed on the wing, Bertrand whips in a decent cross. But when deployed at left back, Bertrand seems too scared to actually wander up and get himself into that position like Cole so often does.

I'm still adamant that Shaw is the only player we should consider getting in to replace Ashley. Yes he's young, but so what? He's great! I also like the fact we've typically had English left-backs. Le Saux, Bridge, Cole. When I look at Shaw, I just see a child version of Ashley Cole. The way they play is so similar. Shaw arriving would have me feeling much more optimistic about the future.

With that said though, I doubt any player we ever buy will be a better left back than Ashley, meaning regardless who we pick up it'll be a downgrade of sorts. The amount of goal-line clearances Cole has produced for us right in our time of need are crazy.