Petr Cech

eldo

So was De Gea when United bought him and I bet they wish they had an experienced world-class keeper along with him these past two seasons. I'm not comparing the two keepers, just the uncertainty of the situation.

Courtois is not the most talented keeper around, he's the keeper with the most potential. Anywhere he'll go he'll have to fight for his stop. I think he'll come here next season and we won't sell Petr. He'll get a lot of chances and if he's really as good as or better than Cech, he'll win the starting spot and we'll probably sell Petr at the end of the season. If he isn't and Petr remains first-choice, we''l keep them both until Thibaut becomes ready to be a starter.

Courtois is the most talented goalie around. There is no comparison to DG, I feel.

One more try here. Courtois is the most wanted goalie around by Barca, Real or anybody. He will have his choice & I do not feel he aims to sit around at Stamford Bridge. Therefore, he is my choice for No 1 at Chelsea.

The important point is for Courtois to not loose faith in being Chelsea's No.1 in the near future. Having spent this much time at Madrid, he won't hesitate if Real Madrid come calling and he would be happier to be RM's No.2 than Chelsea's.

It would be wiser to loan him to an established PL side for 2 more years before making us our first choice goalie- sort of like an initiation into the PL.

Courtois is better than De Gea, and United are the Champions of England. He didn't cost them points and having stuck with him they have an established number one.

Ask United if they wished they'd had a replacement for Schmeichel - how many years did it take them to replace him adequately?

Courtois is massively talented - we shouldn't refer jus to his potential. Right now he is probably an elite-level keeper.

Explain to me how he wins a spot without us rotating between matches? FA Cup games? What does he do up until January?

League cup games against inferior opposition? CL dead rubbers?

He isn't a striker who can come off the bench and score a goal then start the next game. That's just not how goalkeepers exist. You make a choice and let them build a relationship with the team. Any decision has to be swift and decisive.

Like I said, I'm not comparing him with De Gea, just the situation. Although when De Gea moved to united he was as highly rated as Thibaut is now. De Gea cost united a lot of points. He was even dropped by fergie for two months last season because of his poor performances. They threw him in too early and he wasn't ready and it has cost them at times.

He'll win his spot the same way that Petr Cech won his. By taking advantage of the chances that he is given and you are forgetting that there is also training where he can prove his worth.

What can we lose if we get rid of Cech when Thibaut is not yet as good? Just imagine we had done that before the 2011-12 season.

Like I said, I'm not comparing him with De Gea, just the situation. Although when De Gea moved to united he was as highly rated as Thibaut is now. De Gea cost united a lot of points. He was even dropped by fergie for two months last season because of his poor performances. They threw him in too early and he wasn't ready and it has cost them at times.

Again, Courtois is better than De Gea. He's more mature and more fundamentally sound.

Even if you want to talk about the tough period he had, they now have an established number one. Short-term pain for long-term gain is anathema to modern supporters, although I don't expect us to suffer that.

He'll win his spot the same way that Petr Cech won his. By taking advantage of the chances that he is given and you are forgetting that there is also training where he can prove his worth.

So Courtois should mortgage a career playing in the Champions League and winning trophies on the off-chance that Cech suffers an injury that affords him a chance?

I'm not forgetting anything about training. I'm being realistic.

What can we lose if we get rid of Cech when Thibaut is not yet as good? Just imagine we had done that before the 2011-12 season.

The season we finished 6th in the league and were lucky to win a shootout when we were clearly the inferior team?

If you say to me right now that Courtois isn't good enough for a team with aspirations to win domestic and European titles then I will walk away from this site right now and defer to your superior knowledge. If however you aren't building your arguments on that premise then you really have to ask yourself why we wouldn't go with Courtois now.

Maybe we should just sell him to Barca and watch them struggle with him as their number one.

are you talking of the England keepers who were both highly rated international players

No, I am talking about the above two highly rated among the best that can not play on one team. These guys aim high, want to be No 1 for their respective teams. Therefore, I do net see any of them sharing duties. Why should Courtois come to play against Swindon ?

I don't remember much of Cudicini's form when Cech joined us, but wasn't Mourinho in a similar position back then? I mean, I'm not saying Fabio was what Petr is now because even though I don't remember much I remember enough to know he wasn't at the same level Petr continues to be.

Courtois just gave a very levelheaded interview to FourFourTwo where he stated two important things imo:

1) he didn't want to risk losing his position to Mignolet in Belgium NT, especially not in the WC - but he also said he'd be willing to take them from next season on

2) he said he isn't afraid of Cech - or anyone else's - competition and that he can fight for the position with anyone. So he's willing to fight for the position, he isn't demanding to be #1

Taking into account both things I'd say bring him next season and may the best man win. If that's still Cech, so be it, if that's Thibaut, good for him.

He used both examples - Mourinho with Diego Lopéz and Iker Castillas, and Cech and Cudicini.

I just don't think we'll rotate goalies. It's never a good thing to have a goalie out of practice.

I hope it's a smooth transition, but I have no doubts Mourinho will give the position to the best man. And that man may be Cech and Courtois said he's willing to take risks (being benched) and that he's ready to fight for the position. So I guess it only benefits us.

And I wouldn't be so fast on writing Cech off. Not at all.

Liverpool would have to win the premiership for Mignolet to replace Courtos as Belgium's No.1 goalie.

And i don't see him staying at Chelsea nxt season. Cech will stay put and the Belgian will be loand out....hopefully to a PL side

No, I am talking about the above two highly rated among the best that can not play on one team. These guys aim high, want to be No 1 for their respective teams. Therefore, I do net see any of them sharing duties. Why should Courtois come to play against Swindon ?

I never suggested one would play all the weaker games .. as stated they would be rotated,,, including international games they would get around 40 games a season. it would be Jose's job to handle the rotation .I believe he is capable of doing that.

40 games a season is I believe enough for anyone

40 games maybe, but it's the make-up of those games.

Does Courtois get a Saturday game then it's all change for the Wednesday night game? Does he keep a clean-sheet in a fantastic performance and then get dropped for the next game because it's Cech's turn?

Or does he just get the small games where he doesn't have to do anything and we never see just what he can do?

Maybe we just toss a coin an hour before each game - I'm not kidding. It makes about as much sense as any other selection method. Cech obviously gets heads.

I never suggested one would play all the weaker games .. as stated they would be rotated,,, including international games they would get around 40 games a season. it would be Jose's job to handle the rotation .I believe he is capable of doing that.

How many teams are out there that rotate their goalies ?

Either you are hot & you play or you are a backup as Swarzer. Goalies need to play.

1)Again, Courtois is better than De Gea. He's more mature and more fundamentally sound.

Even if you want to talk about the tough period he had, they now have an established number one. Short-term pain for long-term gain is anathema to modern supporters, although I don't expect us to suffer that.

2)So Courtois should mortgage a career playing in the Champions League and winning trophies on the off-chance that Cech suffers an injury that affords him a chance?

I'm not forgetting anything about training. I'm being realistic.

3)The season we finished 6th in the league and were lucky to win a shootout when we were clearly the inferior team?

If you say to me right now that Courtois isn't good enough for a team with aspirations to win domestic and European titles then I will walk away from this site right now and defer to your superior knowledge. If however you aren't building your arguments on that premise then you really have to ask yourself why we wouldn't go with Courtois now.

Maybe we should just sell him to Barca and watch them struggle with him as their number one.

1) The point is, we don't have to suffer like united did because we have an experienced world-class goal keeper who can still be our number one until Thibaut is ready.

2) For a season, yes. He won't make a career of it. He's still very young and will have to fight to make a name for himself wherever he goes.

3) Don't avoid the point, you know as well as I do that had we had Courtois and not Cech we would not have won neither the CL nor the FA cup and we would not have been able to qualify to the CL and we would not have bought the likes of Hazard and Oscar and our current squad would not have been the same. Of course Courtois can be a good first choice keeper at a top club but he's just not the best in the world atm, Cech is and the above example is how much difference that can make.

I know Mourinho done the same with Cudicini in having him on the bench most of the season but with Courtois it is a different factor. He already has won many trophies, playing for arguably the best team in La Liga besides Real and Barca and commands the Belgium no.1 position and that is no easy thing when you have the likes of Migonlet who is among the best keepers in the Premiership fighting for his position. If Courtois finds himself being rotated or not the primary no.1 keeper, he might lose his place in an instance like that. I know Courtois made noises about challenging Cech for the no.1 position but let's face it if he cannot dislodge Cech, he will know it is for the best to go out on,loan again. Far too special of a talent to be rotated while he could be playing for almost any elite team in the world.

I know he has many years ahead of him and people will feel having a season possibly being roated will be fine for him but not when we can either have him as no.1 or if not just simply loan him out again because he is far too good for being rotated. We need a fixed no.1 keeper IMO and if he will not be I know Courtois may want the no.1 shirt here but it would be best to continue playing regular football. Here you have a young 21 year old keeper who is already one of the best keepers around IMO.