Petr Cech

eldo

We won't sell Cech for much more than £8-10 million. He's 31, and a goalkeeper - Buffon and de Gea aside, they just don't fetch big price-tags, because they are frankly quite easily replaced.

This is a key point. There are many more top keepers than there are top clubs in the world. It's simple math. Teams only need one keeper of quality. I don't worry much about replacing keepers. It's also very difficult to judge keepers because so much of their success is based on the team, more than any other position. When you're on a team that is giving up 2 shots a game, you're going to give up fewer goals than a keeper who is facing 4 shots a game. (That's not to mention quality of shots, how teams defend corners, etc...).

Probably not tanned enough for some people. :D

Perhaps, he ought to visit Tahiti, soon ?

Somehow, Cech seems to me still one of the best goalies around. To say he is slowing down, it´s just not true, I feel.

Come next year, Jose is going to have one difficult job to decide whom to keep. Cech of Courtois ?

I believe, Chelsea can get around 15-20m for Cech, easily.

Courtiois is the best young goalkeeper in the world, I have no doubts about that. The problem for him is, that Cech is also one of the best goalkeepers in the world. He's established Chelsea's number 1 option and probably the only player we expect to see week and week out in the starting line-up. Playing his 3rd season for Atletico, Courtois, and impressing every football fan who've seen him play, the question appears. Who should be Chelsea's number 1 in the next season?

Cech's 2012-13 season was arguably his best in Chelsea shirt. He's also only 31 years old, which is great age for goalkeeper, because we know they reach their peak in early 30's. Some think injuries which he had throughout his career, may affect Cech's health, fitness and condition, but I don't think this is really the case here.

Courtois, on the other hand, is getting better from season to season. In 2011 his save success rate was 65%, a year later 76% and in 2013 it stants at 80%, saving 8 out of 10 shots on target for Madrid so far. Last year he also kept 20 clean sheets, which is the highest number in the Europe's top 5 leagues. From 2011 to 2013 he kept 35 clean sheets, which is a lot more than Cech's 24. Thibaut also received less goals each season, from 41 to 29. He is definetly improving, but to keep this progress he needs to play football regulary. This is what Atletico can guarantee right now, there was some interest from the Barcelona too, and I believe, he would be first option for them, stealing Valdes' place from the starting eleven.

Although Cech conceded 7 more goals than Courtois last season, he also saved a higher proportion of the shots he faced, 80%, being the best in the Premier League. He also had to save far more shots than Courtois, Cech had to save 122 shots and Courtois 86. There are no doubts Cech can still perform at the highest level. Just think about Supercup Final few weeks ago, when Cech saved 8 out of Bayern's 10 shots on target.

Cech is also better passer of the ball than Courtois. Maybe it's because Atleticos' manager tells Courtois to kick the ball from the goal kick to use the arial ability of Atletico's striker, but nevertheless, Courtois will still have to improve his kicking before becoming Chelsea's number 1 option. He tends to punch ball less every season from 21 in 2011, to 14 in 2012 and he is yet to punch the ball this season. Over the same time Cech punched the ball 15 times in 2011, 28 times in 2012 and he already had his 2 punches this season.

It would be unfair for Cech to sit on the bench in his current form and it would also be unfair for Courtois to warm the bench, when he should play week and week out and gain experience, which is vital for top goalkeeper. So, I think we should loan Courtois for few more seasons, until we see Cech is losing his form.

Courtiois is the best young goalkeeper in the world, I have no doubts about that. The problem for him is, that Cech is also one of the best goalkeepers in the world. He's established Chelsea's number 1 option and probably the only player we expect to see week and week out in the starting line-up. Playing his 3rd season for Atletico, Courtois, and impressing every football fan who've seen him play, the question appears. Who should be Chelsea's number 1 in the next season?
Cech's 2012-13 season was arguably his best in Chelsea shirt. He's also only 31 years old, which is great age for goalkeeper, because we know they reach their peak in early 30's. Some think injuries which he had throughout his career, may affect Cech's health, fitness and condition, but I don't think this is really the case here.
Courtois, on the other hand, is getting better from season to season. In 2011 his save success rate was 65%, a year later 76% and in 2013 it stants at 80%, saving 8 out of 10 shots on target for Madrid so far. Last year he also kept 20 clean sheets, which is the highest number in the Europe's top 5 leagues. From 2011 to 2013 he kept 35 clean sheets, which is a lot more than Cech's 24. Thibaut also received less goals each season, from 41 to 29. He is definetly improving, but to keep this progress he needs to play football regulary. This is what Atletico can guarantee right now, there was some interest from the Barcelona too, and I believe, he would be first option for them, stealing Valdes' place from the starting eleven.
Although Cech conceded 7 more goals than Courtois last season, he also saved a higher proportion of the shots he faced, 80%, being the best in the Premier League. He also had to save far more shots than Courtois, Cech had to save 122 shots and Courtois 86. There are no doubts Cech can still perform at the highest level. Just think about Supercup Final few weeks ago, when Cech saved 8 out of Bayern's 10 shots on target.
Cech is also better passer of the ball than Courtois. Maybe it's because Atleticos' manager tells Courtois to kick the ball from the goal kick to use the arial ability of Atletico's striker, but nevertheless, Courtois will still have to improve his kicking before becoming Chelsea's number 1 option. He tends to punch ball less every season from 21 in 2011, to 14 in 2012 and he is yet to punch the ball this season. Over the same time Cech punched the ball 15 times in 2011, 28 times in 2012 and he already had his 2 punches this season.
It would be unfair for Cech to sit on the bench in his current form and it would also be unfair for Courtois to warm the bench, when he should play week and week out and gain experience, which is vital for top goalkeeper. So, I think we should loan Courtois for few more seasons, until we see Cech is losing his form.

I highly doubt that Courtois will agree to another loan spell.

Why would Courtois wait for Cech to decline as a goalkeeper? He could be the starting goalkeeper at almost any top European side.

If he's not a Chelsea player next season, Courtois will most likely be sold off.

I highly doubt that Courtois will agree to another loan spell.

Why would Courtois wait for Cech to decline as a goalkeeper? He could be the starting goalkeeper at almost any top European side.

If he's not a Chelsea player next season, Courtois will most likely be sold off.

As far as I know, Courtois has contract with Chelsea until 2016, so I don't think we will sell him with two years on his contract. :readthemessage:

To loan Courtois for a few more seasons ?

I don´t believe, that´s his aim any longer. He wants to play as No 1 for Chelsea & fight for it, as he said.

He wants it maybe, but is it better for him? I'm not sure. Rotating two world-class goalkeepers would frustrate the fuck out of them both and wouldn't do any good to either of them.

As far as I know, Courtois has contract with Chelsea until 2016, so I don't think we will sell him with two years on his contract. :readthemessage:

He wants it maybe, but is it better for him? I'm not sure. Rotating two world-class goalkeepers would frustrate the fuck out of them both and wouldn't do any good to either of them.

Two years on player´s contract equals to the best price.

Keeper stats say more about the defense than the keeper himself. Athletico have by far the best defense in the La Liga while our defense has mostly been in shambles since 2010-11. Without even looking at the stats I could have told you that Courtois would have let in fewer goals and kept more clean sheets while Cech would certainly have saved more shots.