Lack of English players in the squad

bababoom

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the post to end all posts here, (from another forum, submitted by a Newcastle fan), how we compare with City and how it correlates with English players:

This is in response to a Man-City fan complaining about a 'supposed' media agenda against City...

Reality is City have no characters, no charisma, no national selling point, have delivered nothing in Europe and are just a concoction of expensive players.

Chelsea had the same "problem" if you want to call it that, but Jose Mourinho, John Terry (pre-racism) and Frank Lampard forged an identity that became respected. To a lesser extent the Cole's as well.

It's just small man complex blaming Manchester United when City appoint dull managers and the English connection is James Milner whilst etching no champions league nights into anyone's memory.

:clap:

• 1 month later...

Well we are winning with a lot of foreigners and nobody is mentioning about our lack of English players....

The top 2 teams in england have a total of 3 english starters...

Cahill-terry-hart

i think southampton have 3...

Better question is who would improved Chelsea squad or be relevant that is british? (minus gareth bale)

The top 2 teams in england have a total of 3 english starters...

Cahill-terry-hart

i think southampton have 3...

Better question is who would improved Chelsea squad or be relevant that is british? (minus gareth bale)

Non, it has to come from our youth academy.

But mourinho isn't giving much chances at this moment.

So it's hard to envisioned that.

Non, it has to come from our youth academy.

Sterling would quite clearly improve the team, he just wouldn't be worth the 200 zillion Liverpool would demand from us. Luke Shaw will come good soon too, it wasn't smart to sign a 29 year old only for the bench, Shaw could have gained a lot from being Azpi's understudy.

I have to admit, it's very strange to see a Chelsea team with just two Englishmen.

But at the same time, England's stock of quality has decreased. It's easier to compete at top level with English players in your team/squad when the likes of Seaman, Ferdinand, Terry, Campbell, King, Carragher, Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Beckham, J. Cole, Rooney are 'available' (I'm sure I've missed a few names). Not to mention, a good amount of decent players good enough to make the squad.

That said, Chels would do well to get some English talent as squad players.

Sterling would quite clearly improve the team, he just wouldn't be worth the 200 zillion Liverpool would demand from us. Luke Shaw will come good soon too, it wasn't smart to sign a 29 year old only for the bench, Shaw could have gained a lot from being Azpi's understudy.

yes but why pay a 19 year old 3 figures a week when other experienced members of the team get paid far less. I am sure if Shaw really wanted to join us he would have lowered his demands.

yes but why pay a 19 year old 3 figures a week when other experienced members of the team get paid far less. I am sure if Shaw really wanted to join us he would have lowered his demands.

Again, he's not on 3 figures, it all turned out to be media bullshit.. and something we wanted to be true, because that suits our world view as the team who missed out.

We should be basing our team on quality not nationality.

England are pony and have been for a long time. I've said it for a while, there's not one player in that squad that would dislodge one of our first teamers.

You can't have a squad full of English nationals and also have a decent squad. It's simply not possible. I personally don't see why it's such a big concern.

The minimum I want is for the team to have somebody or somebodies who can speak fluent English in British accent in interviews. It gets cringeworthy when the best speakers you have are a bunch of Oscars who struggle to get their point across, while proudly proclaiming to be english team. I used to mock Arsenal for that. There should be an English representative always present. And by that I don't mean a third choice goalkeeper.. But I doubt we'll have as strong British presence as we used to in Cole, Bridge, Terry, Lamps, J.Cole, Duff in a long time (forgive me if I missed someone).

Ryan Bertrand is having ten times the season that Shaw is having. There are tens of LBs in the world that are better than Luke Shaw.

i would rather get a good non english HG midfielder like schneiderlin , than an average guy like shelvey or delph. (i dont think the likes of barkley/ox are attainable) .

the young guys can't play much right now, if we are trying to win the league.