Lack of English players in the squad

bababoom

No Sterling has more to his game than Walcott. You have not watched him closely if you believe that. He is versatile for a start. He started of as a winger and while he done very well there he has excelled even more in the no.10 role. Sterling has great balance, has an eye for a pass and scores and makes goals. There is a reason why Liverpool/England fans and manager place great emphasis on him. Many want Sterling in the no.10 role for England in future matches. Before Sterling was criticised for his lack of finishing touch but he has added goals to his game. Fact is that right now there is no teenager imo that you can say is better Sterling right now. He is England's best talent and Liverpool are fortunate they picked him up for peanuts.

THe same applies for Theo.

Walcott is 10x better playing CF/midle than on the wings as well. Many want sterling as the n10 because the english think every young kid is the next big thing for England... Happens every time...

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walcott is 10x better playing CF/midle than on the wings as well. Many want sterling as the n10 because the english think every young kid is the next big thing for England... Happens every time...

No Walcott is best on the wings. He wants to play CF but he is more suited on the wings. Sterling may be overhyped but is it justified? Yes. He has been brilliant for Liverpool and was pivotal in their team last season. Pirlo obviously rates his performance for England highly as well. Made a nice compliment for him btw :D

I'd love for Chelsea to have some key English players but that's easier said than done.

In recent years out of the top clubs in the EPL it was us who were known for having a pretty good English core, with some being critical of Arsenal for lacking English talent..now with Frank and Ash gone, its like the tables are reversed...basically we have Terry (coming to the end of his career) and Cahill.

Buying developed English talent is not that cost efficient as we've seen. Despite his ridiculous price, I was still slightly gutted we missed out on Shaw..I think mainly because im desperate for a key English player in the squad..

Anyway, lets hope some of the youth develops...if any of Chalobah, Baker, RLC, Solanke, Bamford etc make it here that will be great.

I'd love for Chelsea to have some key English players but that's easier said than done.

In recent years out of the top clubs in the EPL it was us who were known for having a pretty good English core, with some being critical of Arsenal for lacking English talent..now with Frank and Ash gone, its like the tables are reversed...basically we have Terry (coming to the end of his career) and Cahill.

Buying developed English talent is not that cost efficient as we've seen. Despite his ridiculous price, I was still slightly gutted we missed out on Shaw..I think mainly because im desperate for a key English player in the squad..

Anyway, lets hope some of the youth develops...if any of Chalobah, Baker, RLC, Solanke, Bamford etc make it here that will be great.

IF none of those players make it at Chelsea (as a squad player), then there is something seriously wrong with our youth development policy...

Walcott isn't a CF, his own manager (Wenger) said: "He is primarily a wide player but in certain situations, we may use him through the middle"

To me i would rather have young, eager English youth players as squad players over foreign benched players. Not saying that we would be constantly using them, but allowing to add at least a lower bridge between the first team and the reserves/youth makes at least an attempt. That, for me, should be the ideal situation and they go on from their talent shown from the moments they have in rotation etc. to see who really would make it.

Either way, unless we are going to risk the inflated prices for OTHER teams young players or breed our own into the side - it would still take time and a longitude of an actual plan of the squad to implement any progress - and tbh, in the past we haven't had the chance to really cement that to be happening.

I just honestly used to care and be a little bit proud that we had THE english spine in the EPL, fighters, leaders, experienced, everything but it was more because they deserved to be there? and deserved to be heralded as such and associated with those words.

That kind of player is really lost to the ages, in modern football it just doesn't exist except for an exceptionally small percentage, even Sterling had some contract.. wranglings.

I'd rather keep our team the way it is and use whoever is best suited no matter what nationality, would I like an english core? Sure but not for the sake of it.. What do I mean? Wilshere, Jenkinson are prime examples, more so Wilshere, he is in that Arsenal side not because of ability anymore he's in there because he's a vocal young englishman who had talent when he burst onto the scene that never kicked on, signed a big contract at Arsenal, come through youth, need I say more? Arsenal are a better side without him in the team but he will never be sold etc.

I was a huge Wilshere fan. When he burst on to the scene, he had quality and personality. I wanted him at Chelsea bad. After years with Arsenal, he's turned into a loser now imo, taken on typical Arsenal loser mentality.

Same here mate. It was almost embarrassing for me how much I liked the lad. Loved watching him play. My gooner mate would laugh at me lol. But as an avid watcher of him, I can say that he def has stagnated and hasn't pushed on. Odd, he looked dead set to be a world beater by 22-23.

I was a huge Wilshere fan. When he burst on to the scene, he had quality and personality. I wanted him at Chelsea bad. After years with Arsenal, he's turned into a loser now imo, taken on typical Arsenal loser mentality.

Think he needs a change of scenery and manager. His form is like neither here nor there at the moment.

No. Sterling has more to his game than Walcott. You have not watched him closely if you believe that. He is versatile for a start. He started of as a winger and while he done very well there he has excelled even more in the no.10 role. Sterling has great balance, has an eye for a pass and scores and makes goals. There is a reason why Liverpool/England fans and manager place great emphasis on him. Many want Sterling in the no.10 role for England in future matches. Before Sterling was criticised for his lack of finishing touch but he has added goals to his game. Fact is that right now there is no teenager imo that you can say is better Sterling right now. He is England's best talent and Liverpool are fortunate they picked him up for peanuts.

Sterling is a hell of a lot better than I initially thought he was. I just assumed he was just the archetypal quick winger but he has a lot more to his game than just speed.

I'm amazed the top London clubs let him leave the capital and join Liverpool.

Walcott isn't a CF, his own manager (Wenger) said: "He is primarily a wide player but in certain situations, we may use him through the middle"

No Walcott is best on the wings. He wants to play CF but he is more suited on the wings. Sterling may be overhyped but is it justified? Yes. He has been brilliant for Liverpool and was pivotal in their team last season. Pirlo obviously rates his performance for England highly as well. Made a nice compliment for him btw :D

And everyone in italy viewed henry as a wide player as well...

Point is walcott does a lot better coming from the middle than on the right side

Pirlo is with NIKE. Sterling is with NIKE. Let us see how well England does.

I think you have summed him up perfectly .. has gone sooooo Downhill soooooooo fast he might get a

medal at the Winter Olympics

Kinda ironic we have threads of members praising the board for not overpaying for players and then a thread like this suggesting we lack English players….

The ideas are mutually exclusive. English talent is by definition overpriced – supply and demand.

BTW, I agree with this not the other thread(s), but then again, it's not my money.

Kinda ironic we have threads of members praising the board for not overpaying for players and then a thread like this suggesting we lack English players….

The ideas are mutually exclusive. English talent is by definition overpriced – supply and demand.

BTW, I agree with this not the other thread(s), but then again, it's not my money.

TBF, when the point was made in the first place, there was nothing stated about the club should be buying English players. It was only when someone started to jump the gun and assumed that we should be buying them, that this whole thing took to that direction.