Lack of English players in the squad

bababoom

It's the second season. We should have at least seen some promise.

If by next season we see nothing, then we will never will no matter who is at the club.

That's the reality if this day and age of PL dominance.

As @Joker10, said that big money in the PL is also making it hard for even lower clubs to develop youth. Because they can now afford to buy ready made foreign players from another league and what not.

There is huge pressure on Jose from the club and the impatient modern day football fans (they know who they are) for Jose to deliver some silverware, so obviously there is going to be a lack of appearances from youth even though there have been a few who already made appearances this season.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is huge pressure on Jose from the club and the impatient modern day football fans (they know who they are) for Jose to deliver some silverware, so obviously there is going to be a lack of appearances from youth even though there have been a few who already made appearances this season.

He said that when everyone raved over Arsenal that year.If didn't feel under pressure he would play more youth and if points were dropped and won sod all least have future players sorta thing.Do reckon maybe use a couple a game but if he feels experience wins can't blame him

Thing is, there is zero reason why Bertrand should not be here right now.

We didn't need to splash cash on bringing the "Best LB on earth" to ride the bench behind our 25 year old starting LB.

No reason on our part, but you're not considering what Ryan wants. He wants regular football and he wants to be at a place where he can show what he can do. You forget that last season a lot of people were saying he wasn't good enough to even be a backup.

Thing is, there is zero reason why Bertrand should not be here right now.

We didn't need to splash cash on bringing the "Best LB on earth" to ride the bench behind our 25 year old starting LB.

Why not? Because you think so? Because if Ivanovic or Azpi is injured I have no doubt about which LB I would like to see in a game against Bayern, or Man City, Man United... or other team. Luis because he is a lot better.

You prefer to see Bertrand in the bench, but the rest of the world prefer to win titles.

He is good in Southampton. He Chelsea he was another that when he played did nothing. Being good at Southampton doens't mean that he is good enough for CHelsea.

Why not? Because you think so? Because if Ivanovic or Azpi is injured I have no doubt about which LB I would like to see in a game against Bayern, or Man City, Man United... or other team. Luis because he is a lot better.

You prefer to see Bertrand in the bench, but the rest of the world prefer to win titles.

He is good in Southampton. He Chelsea he was another that when he played did nothing. Being good at Southampton doens't mean that he is good enough for CHelsea.

But that's the thing.

People like Terminator X want English players at all cost.

No matter if they are shitty.

You can't have it both ways.

Mourinho is a manager that is hired to win, and in winning he picked out the best prospect in between Azpi and Ryan regardless of the nationality.

That's why it will continue to be like that even if Mourinho stays here for a decade.

But that's the thing.

People like Terminator X want English players at all cost.

No matter if they are shitty.

You can't have it both ways.

Jesus, I named Sterling & Shaw (call me when Bertrand has a better season than Shaw's previous, too early yet). You're acting like I've just listed average players ffs.

It's been mentioned before but hopefully the club are keeping an eye on Stones' progress.

Is it so easy for a player who is really worth it to stay in the limelight just because the first selection is somebody else ?

Suppose we have a youngster who is as good as Diego Costa.

I don't believe he will not make a great career just because of that.

Only with goalkeepers that tends to happen.

The minimum I want is for the team to have somebody or somebodies who can speak fluent English in British accent in interviews. It gets cringeworthy when the best speakers you have are a bunch of Oscars who struggle to get their point across, while proudly proclaiming to be english team. I used to mock Arsenal for that. There should be an English representative always present. And by that I don't mean a third choice goalkeeper.. But I doubt we'll have as strong British presence as we used to in Cole, Bridge, Terry, Lamps, J.Cole, Duff in a long time (forgive me if I missed someone).

Good point.

Post-Liverpool, Matic was asked a pretty simple question but couldn't give any type of answer and JT had to cover for him. It's not THE most important aspect of the club, but it's one of the 'perks' of having English players who can actually represent us in the media and articulate properly with fans.

Wouldn't mind Jones (doubt that'll be a popular opinion, but I think he could develop into something really good at CB if played there consistently and tutored by a decent manager), Henderson, Sterling or Barkley. But all of them (barring possibly Sterling) would only make the bench. Every other England player isn't even good enough for our bench or is downright unattainable (Rooney/Hart/Baines)

But they'd all be astronomical in price, so it is largely irrelevant what we want, unless we fancy paying £30M for an only good player just for the nationality.

The only chance we've got is one of our young englishmen developing well into squad players (Baker/Swift/Solanke/Chalobah/Bamford/RLC/Brown). And I have high hopes that at least 3 of them will be in our 23 man squad within 2/3 years (my money is on Bamford, Brown and Baker)

Some other Reasons for lack of English players.

1. There used to be players like Ferdinand, Rooney, lamps, Gerrard, Cole, j.Cole, Beckham, Owen, but now the quality of English players is a far cry from before. I'll say this is one of the reason why arsenal dropped from title challengers to 4th place team, too many average English players when they used to have more french players during the invincibles era. Liverpool is another victim.

2. Ffp is another reason why. Manutd could spend 25mil on Ferdinand those times but now there practically the only team in England that can afford to throw away money on English players and hope they come good. But the rest of us are working under tight ffp tightrope so the available money has to be spent on quality.

3. English youth trainers don't let their youth develop their ball technique, vision and passing. All they care about is speed and strength, so English players have too many lennons, chamberlains, Townsends, adamjohnsons, without any xavi, silva, fabregas, ozil. This is why English players lack creativity, no focus in developing those areas when they are young, just gym, run and run.

As a kid myself I have to just say that from my view, there is a problem with a personal. The people I play with reguarly are good but are weak mentally, have no guts or are just full of themselves and don't work hard, there's not really a real mix of good things in young people who play football around here. Also most of the coaches are the usual; horrible hair, teeth, dress style, normally overweight and know nothing about football but will just tell you to 'try your best' and be brave. Most coaches are still suck in the olden days of heaping it up the pitch to the biggest guy in the team and hitting it randomly and hoping it goes in.

Callum Chambers has been quite impressive for Arsenal. If he could cut the needless bookings out from his game, his development will continue to grow.. One of Arsenal's more wiser signings this year.

I kinda agree, but the timing of this statement could not have been worse when he was just completely and repeatedly destroyed a couple of days ago by Montero :P

• 2 months later...

Jesus, I named Sterling & Shaw (call me when Bertrand has a better season than Shaw's previous, too early yet). You're acting like I've just listed average players ffs.

It's been mentioned before but hopefully the club are keeping an eye on Stones' progress.

Do you really think either Sterling, Shaw or Stones will be made available at a decent price? Shaw went for 30m and 100k/wk... Sterling is in dispute with the Scouse right now over fee, he will almost assuredly go for no less than 40m if he's made available.