Lack of English players in the squad

bababoom

Which is why Bayern, Barcelona, United and even Real Madrid are such big names all around the world. You look to those team and you see German club, Spanish clubs, English club. Whether we want to admit or not, a club needs to keep its identity to be more marketable - and I think it was in this thread I read people talking about how little marketable we are. It helps for a team from a certain country to have a strong link with the culture, the style and a core of players from that country to make it a strong brand. That's how marketing works.

Clubs go global especially because of weak leagues around the world. Because there isn't a better league in their country (or for the minority that is just crazy about the sport that they'll watch the best leagues in the world regardless) those fans turn to EPL for example and if they develop a liking for the league, they'll choose a team to support (there are many, many, many people that watch foreign leagues and don't support any team). There's the bandwagoners that will choose the flavor of the month which is whoever has the biggest stars and more titles. A few years down the road they change their allegiance because now another team has the biggest stars or more titles. But normally you need to feel like the team you like represent the league, culture and style of their country. Chelsea were able to keep that even when Roman was here. We've had many foreign players prior to Roman and we kept many English players in the early years after he bought the club, but lately those players are being replaced by foreigns... that's not a good sign, that's not how this is supposed to be and that affects our marketability.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Those clubs are huge because they win and have been winning for a long time! Has nothing to do with the homegrown quota. Barcelona for instance have an incredibly rich DUTCH tradition! They also have a rich BRAZILIAN tradition, that's not HG that's global. Real Madrid? Perhaps in the 30's and 40's but today they are getting killed for not having a lot of HG talent which is why they paid an arm and a leg to get Isco and Illaramendi two years ago.

What people who spew this tradition tripe fail to realize is the game is GLOBAL now and its grown beyond the borders of the borough or city or country it originated from. In order to grow the club further we need to continue to win and buy talent. In a sense it IS like Football Manager in that the winning and players you acquire make you a bigger club. No different here. If Chelsea put a team out like this: Hart, Cahill, Johnson, Baines, Azpilicueta, Barkley, Matic, Lallana, OX, Willian, Sturridge they would be popular amongst the local supporters but definitely NOT a Global brand capable of grabbing the attention of a kid who loves football in Sweden. This is what football is about now, beyond the border marketing and growth. Its why they do preseason tours at every corner of the globe.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted us to buy Shaw, who had 'proved' himself capable of playing for a top club.

No, he really hasn't. I'm not even sure how he'll get into the united team.

Cheers for proving my point. You practically picked 1 English player and categorize the entire NT as 'stink'. :clap:

You can't blame him for that. If you want to prove your point then name the available English talents that would be good buys for us. The burden of the proof in this argument lies on you not him.

You all forgot someone that could be Chelsea material one day, Ross Barkley

Could be Chelsea material....would cost £30 million or so.

Is he going to be better than Boga? Would you bet £30 million on it? He could be another Jose Baxter, but the fact is that Everton gave him a chance after a dodgy loan to Wednesday (I believe) whereas we had Chalobah on-loan at Watford in the same year, who performed exceptionally and didn't get a look-in.

There needs to be a commitment to youth and that comes through consistency

You can't blame him for that. If you want to prove your point then name the available English talents that would be good buys for us. The burden of the proof in this argument lies on you not him.

If you have actually read the subsequent posts, you would know that I've named some of them. And regardless of that, it's still silly to generalize (+ too easy to say everyone is bad).

If you have actually read the subsequent posts, you would know that I've named some of them. And regardless of that, it's still silly to generalize (+ too easy to say everyone is bad).

Not many are saying every English player sucks. But very few English players are top class. Sturridge is the only one who COULD start at another top club and Sterling if he keeps improving. They have some promising young players but none who are worth what they would cost. Lallana is 24, not really young, don't get upset, it's just how it is.

Not many are saying every English player sucks. But very few English players are top class. Sturridge is the only one who COULD start at another top club and Sterling if he keeps improving. They have some promising young players but none who are worth what they would cost. Lallana is 24, not really young, don't get upset, it's just how it is.

Believe it or not, Lallana is actually 26. Older than Costa :P.

If you think I'm feeling upset over this, then :lol:

Regarding the highlighted part, that's precisely what I've been saying! :doh: What I don't get is why some are so adamant in categorizing everyone as shit just because most of them are that.

No, he really hasn't. I'm not even sure how he'll get into the united team.

When Shaw is back from injury he will take that LWB back spot quite easily. Even if they revert to 4 at the back he will get that LB spot quite easily as well imo.

If you think I'm feeling upset over this, then :lol:

Regarding the highlighted part, that's precisely what I've been saying! :doh: What I don't get is why some are so adamant in categorizing everyone as shit just because most of them are that.

Just the way it is, man. Just like people think every player on the Spanish/German/Brazilian team is world class.

When Shaw is back from injury he will take that LWB back spot quite easily. Even if they revert to 4 at the back he will get that LB spot quite easily as well imo.

Are you sure? They have Rojo and Blind who can play LB, would they be willing to throw a 19 year old in the starting XI in a season they NEED to finish top 4?

I don't know.

Are you sure? They have Rojo and Blind who can play LB, would they be willing to throw a 19 year old in the starting XI in a season they NEED to finish top 4?

I don't know.

Rojo has been bought to play as a CB though. That is his main position. Blind is a DM who can play LB but is very slow. Rojo will play LB or LWB if Shaw is injured or playing really bad and the same applies to Blind. Blind is a very good technical player who can do a good shift at LB but in the PL if he he is played at LB he will get caught our for pace. I don't think they would have spent that much for Shaw to be on the bench. I think is more or less got that LWB spot when he returns.

You mean the guy Van Gaal ordered to go train on his own because he's out of shape? Ya... Not so sure about that one. He's injured now but before that he couldn't even train with the main group.

He has potential, nothing more.

Rojo has been bought to play as a CB though. That is his main position. Blind is a DM who can play LB but is very slow. Rojo will play LB or LWB if Shaw is injured or playing really bad and the same applies to Blind. Blind is a very good technical player who can do a good shift at LB but in the PL if he he is played at LB he will get caught our for pace. I don't think they would have spent that much for Shaw to be on the bench. I think is more or less got that LWB spot when he returns.

You do realize Blind played LWB for Van Gaal in the biggest tournament in football right? Its perhaps the reason why he was acquired.

You mean the guy Van Gaal ordered to go train on his own because he's out of shape? Ya... Not so sure about that one. He's injured now but before that he couldn't even train with the main group.

He has potential, nothing more.

LVG later said that Shaw has been training fantastically and recently praised him as an "example to the dressing room".

You do realize Blind played LWB for Van Gaal in the biggest tournament in football right? Its perhaps the reason why he was acquired.

Yes, he played their in the WC. But his main position is a DM. It is good for LVG that he is versatile because he can play numerous positions but one thing he lacks is pace. He operates best from a DM and I am sure that is where LVG plans on playing him. I am 100% sure on that. I expect to see him as the DC/DM in front of Rojo and Evans in a 3-5-2 formation. They did not spend £32m on Shaw to be a sub. Shaw will be a starter for sure.