Filipe Luís

Jase

Agree but that doesn't mean that we have to play him at LB in every game. We all know how that doesn't help our attacks on the left at all and Hazard always has to deal with 2-3 players all by himself at once. If Mourinho wants defensive solidity in the away games and/or the bigger games, then go with Azpi. But against some of the lesser sides, who are going defend narrow and compact, play Luis so there's more width in our play to stretch the opposing team's defence. Otherwise, we'll just be playing right in front of them.

Tbf when Azpi is at LB, Ivanovic has the freedom to bomb forward and create said width. And he is actually decent at this now.

Anyway a defence of Ivan-Cahill-JT-Luis does not sound like much of an improvement to me. Ivanovic will still fuck up on the right, and Luis will be caught out of position many times to actually help the situation - like Azpi always does.

Tbf when Azpi is at LB, Ivanovic has the freedom to bomb forward and create said width. And he is actually decent at this now.

Anyway a defence of Ivan-Cahill-JT-Luis does not sound like much of an improvement to me. Ivanovic will still fuck up on the right, and Luis will be caught out of position many times to actually help the situation - like Azpi always does.

But on the other hand, we can go with the simple instruction of when the LB goes forward, the RB stays back and vice versa. Mourinho is just being stubborn and stubbornly loyal to certain players.

Didn't Jose say he regularly spoke about tactics at press-conferences in Italy? Now if he's even asked about anything on the agenda (e.g. Mata/Oscar) he gets incredibly angry. His time at Real definitely changed him.

He's in a real irritable mood right now, with the press. Almost Ferguson-like in that aspect

It looks too obvious now in hindsight, but I had a nagging feeling back in Oct-Nov last year that we would struggle to progress equally well in CL, PL and other cup competitions..mainly because our Schurrles, Salahs, Remy's and Luis's were not being played enough to affect the results of our season.

In the double winning season of 09-10, even Paulo Ferreira who was our 3'rd choice right back played a series of very good games, crucial ones at that. Essien who was the Matic of that season, was replaced comfortably by Mikel and Ballack when he got injured. Deco and Joe Cole, although out for most of the season would be brought on to influence games.

That level of involvement from the whole squad is what we need if we need to achieve anything as ambitious as treble, or PL/CL double.

It looks too obvious now in hindsight, but I had a nagging feeling back in Oct-Nov last year that we would struggle to progress equally well in CL, PL and other cup competitions..mainly because our Schurrles, Salahs, Remy's and Luis's were not being played enough to affect the results of our season.

In the double winning season of 09-10, even Paulo Ferreira who was our 3'rd choice right back played a series of very good games, crucial ones at that. Essien who was the Matic of that season, was replaced comfortably by Mikel and Ballack when he got injured. Deco and Joe Cole, although out for most of the season would be brought on to influence games.

That level of involvement from the whole squad is what we need if we need to achieve anything as ambitious as treble, or PL/CL double.

Unfortunately, we have a manager who is very stubborn and can have a dogmatic attitude towards players.

I would love to see this lineup sometimes :)

Azpi - Ivanović/Zouma - Terry - Luis

It would be also easier to score against weaker opponents with both full backs bombing forward ;)

You are lucky to see that line-up once a season in a League Cup game against a semi-pro or amateur side if we draw one. Either Ivanovic or Azpilicueta leaves, or Filipe goes. He has no business rotting on the bench here unfortunately. Judging by last season and this season, Bran and Azpi will be our untouchable full-backs for years to come. We better get used to it.

The main problem with Filipe Luis are Ivanovic and Azpilicueta. They are indisputable, especially Azpi, and their level is so high that it is very difficult to remove from our starting eleven.

But I think maybe the next season (or even this season) Filipe Luis has to go playing in our starting eleven instead of Ivanovic with Azpilicueta as Right-Back and Filipe Luis as Left-Back.

Ivanovic is a player of much physical deployment and for me he is indisputable but maybe for the next season Iva can again be Centre-Back and make way for Filipe Luis.

If Ivanovic is physical strength, Filipe Luis is technical quality. Right now we took two years with Jose and our players have internalized well the methods of Jose. For example, right now Hazard is a very committed player in defensively aspects. Before the arraived of Jose, Hazard was an anarchic player, but now he is more committed to the defensive aspects.

So maybe next season we can bet for technical players because we function as a perfect machine in collective aspects becouse we have already internalized Jose´s methods.

So many of us think that we have to sign players like With Koke or Varane, a type of technical players who also know how to work for the team.

With a team that is known for two years we can start thinking about making changes to bet on more technical player than physically strong players because we already have well developed our capacity for collective work by the team.

Varane - Filipe Luis - Koke - Messi (hopefully, Please Roman) in return for Cahill - Ivanovic - Ramires - Willian.

Our team has now a lot of maturity to make a change for next season to bet on more technical approaches. At the beginning of the season we have shown that we know play a total football with great defensive intelligence and perfect approaches in ofensive aspects. We are ready to take the next step in our BIG project.

Regards to ALL.

Even if he doesn't play another game for the rest of the season I still don't think he will leave. Seriously think he loves it at Chelsea and in London.

Sure, maybe after another year of being underplayed he might go, but he'll be sticking around for a while yet.

Even if he doesn't play another game for the rest of the season I still don't think he will leave. Seriously think he loves it at Chelsea and in London.

Sure, maybe after another year of being underplayed he might go, but he'll be sticking around for a while yet.

Yeah I'm sure Jose will convince him that he is going to be an "important part of the team" next year. Then be shipped in January. Don't think he is the kind of person to stay just because he likes London culinary, rain, Big Ben or whatever.

Filipe Luis could be offered a quick return to Atlético Madrid with the Spanish club monitoring his situation at Chelsea.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/11475606/Chelsea-transfer-news-Atletico-Madrid-hope-to-take-Filipe-Luis-back-if-Jose-Mourinho-decides-to-offload-defender.html

I did think Simeone would want him back. Mourinho doesn't care for Luis and Atleti are missing him so it'd probably be for the best.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/11475606/Chelsea-transfer-news-Atletico-Madrid-hope-to-take-Filipe-Luis-back-if-Jose-Mourinho-decides-to-offload-defender.html

I did think Simeone would want him back. Mourinho doesn't care for Luis and Atleti are missing him so it's probably for the best.

best for him and atletico but not for us.. oh we can always buy Shaw :readthemessage:

Why British journalists have to be so clueless and don't ask about tactics or style of play ? Why ANYBODY, literally ANYBODY didn't ask Jose yet if he thinks that our pressing game and transition needs improvement, why he doesn't play Filipe for example, all that things. In Spain they're sensation-seeking bastards too but they at least ask a genuine interesting questions about system of play and certain players fitting (or not) into that system.

Found a journalist's (unsurprising) answer. They just say that he doesn't give serious answers and only talks about what he wants.

https://soundcloud.com/the-game-podcast/manchester-city-and-chelsea-suffer-from-bad-planning(13 mins in talking about lack of rotation)

Azpi also protects JT, he always covers for him while Luis' loves to bomb forward to help the attack. Gary Neville alluded to it a few months ago, look at how narrow Azpi plays when defending. I generally rate Luis, he adds so much to our left hand side but i can understand while Jose is cautious. I know i may get some flak for this and he has been our best defender this season but i think as a team we'll look more better and cohesive once we buy a faster CB to partner Zouma, obviously it's easier said than done but it's just my opinion. We'll be far more proactive and able to press properly instead of sitting deep and worrying about players getting in behind Terry.

As a few posters have mentioned recently we do have too many players having to cover for others' deficiencies.

Azpi also protects JT, he always covers for him while Luis' loves to bomb forward to help the attack. Gary Neville alluded to it a few months ago, look at how narrow Azpi plays when defending. I generally rate Luis, he adds so much to our left hand side but i can understand while Jose is cautious.

I know i may get some flak for this and he has been our best defender this season but i think as a team we'll look more better and cohesive once we buy a faster CB to partner Zouma, obviously it's easier said than done but it's just my opinion. We'll be far more proactive and able to press properly instead of sitting deep and worrying about players getting in behind Terry.

Can understand him being cautious in the big games or when we play away from home but against the lesser sides at home, we shouldn't always be playing Azpi at LB. We are practically giving the opposition one less threat to worry about.