Filipe Luís

Jase

If Azpi played yesterday instead of Luis, and giving the exact same performance, right now probably we're discussing how shit all our back 4 is, conceding 2 against f***ing Hull.

Azpi/Luis can't fix all our defensives woes on their own. Together though, collectively making up half of the defence, that would be a different story.

I'd only take this guy over Filipe (regardless of age)

David_Alaba_-_%C3%96sterreich_U-21_%282%

(And Filipe was even better than David last season, however I rate Austrian higher)

Filipe is an elite full-back. This opinion from Real Madrid's camp is one thing but what else could prove his sheer quality than the respect Mourinho paid to Filipe ? He put his most trusted lieutenant to specifically play and contain Filipe runs, our boss even restored forgotten man Ashley Cole into the side to put Azpilicueta on that exterminate mission.

The respect from Mourinho is the biggest tribute the shadow can do to the man, as classic says.

I'm sorry but if anyone thinks Alba or Marcelo are better left-backs than Azpi and Luis.... incredible. Take away their pace and they're horrible, horrible defenders. They'd be torn to pieces in the Prem or Bundesliga, the way they go forward without tracking back. Actually, does that remind anyone of Ivanovic?

For me the best in the world are probably Alba and Marcelo. But I can name many LBs that are better than Luis like Rodriguez, Kolarov, Coentrao...etc.

Like I said, Luis is an excellent LB, but just not in the same league as the best in the world and it seems that only a few of our fans see him in that league.

Kolarov and Coentrao? You're having a laugh. Luis would easily start over both.

Only two better left backs are Alaba and Lahm when he does play there.

You clearly don't rate Luis, that's been made very clear. You don't have to pretend you do.

Kolarov and Coentrao? You're having a laugh. Luis would easily start over both.

Only two better left backs are Alaba and Lahm when he does play there.

You clearly don't rate Luis, that's been made very clear. You don't have to pretend you do.

You're rating him on ONE season (and he's 30!) where his entire team over-performed and more importantly on things he has not shown in in 23 appearances here.

I rate him the same as Jose does: A very good experienced back up to Azpi who brings something different when needed.

You're rating him on ONE season (and he's 30!) where his entire team over-performed and more importantly on things he has not shown in in 23 appearances here.

I rate him the same as Jose does: A very good experienced back up to Azpi who brings something different when needed.

How do you know I'm rating him based on one season Choulo? And why does it matter that he's 30?

Great, so because Jose thinks such everyone else's opinion is void? Interesting that you think so Choulo.

Like I said, we get that you don't rate him as many others here do but to use Jose's opinion as the reason why is very weak IMO.

How do you know I'm rating him based on one season Choulo? And why does it matter that he's 30?

Great, so because Jose thinks such everyone else's opinion is void? Interesting that you think so Choulo.

Like I said, we get that you don't rate him as many others here do but to use Jose's opinion as the reason why is very weak IMO.

:lol: You know, you get very bitchy when someone talks about Luis and start making 'points' that you know are invalid and unfair.

I've made upwards of 10 posts, some very long, in the past 3-4 pages explaining my opinion about Luis and engaged and replied to everyone's points, but I think everyone opinion is void and Jose's opinion is the only reason for what I said...fine.

Sorry mate, but you're really no fun to talk to in this thread, so this is probably the last time I'll reply to you.

An opinion repeated 10+ times isn't an opinion, it's a view you're trying to force on people. @ Cho

Except I expressed my opinion in the first post and have answered questions and criticism to it in the latter posts. I've answered according to people's posts quoting me.

If you see something you find illogical, quote it and I'll be more than glad to explain my point and try to reach a common view.

David Alaba not only the best left back out there, he's also one of the 10 best players in the world if you ask me.

It's a shame Alaba does not like to play at LB. Even when he was a teen, you would read stories about him wanting to play further forward, in the middle of the pitch, so you can't help but believe they are true. I understand him too. The fullback position is the least prestigious role of all outfield players. And he has a point of being capable of playing further forward, since he is clever and he does possess fine technique.

But Alaba can become the player to define the new fullback, the reference point of his generation. Like Lahm, R. Carlos and Maldini before him. When you do that, you become more than just a mere fullback.

:lol: You know, you get very bitchy when someone talks about Luis and start making 'points' that you know are invalid and unfair.

I've made upwards of 10 posts, some very long, in the past 3-4 pages explaining my opinion about Luis and engaged and replied to everyone's points, but I think everyone opinion is void and Jose's opinion is the only reason for what I said...fine.

Sorry mate, but you're really no fun to talk to in this thread, so this is probably the last time I'll reply to you.

Come on now Choo Choo. You know there's no hard feelings right?

It's a shame Alaba does not like to play at LB. Even when he was a teen, you would read stories about him wanting to play further forward, in the middle of the pitch, so you can't help but believe they are true. I understand him too. The fullback position is the least prestigious role of all outfield players. And he has a point of being capable of playing further forward since he is clever and he does possess fine technique.

But Alaba can become the player to define the new fullback, the reference point of his generation. Like Lahm, R. Carlos and Maldini before him. When you do that, you become more than just a mere fullback.

He doesn't even enjoy playing in that position, still he is the best left back in the world. Speaks volumes about his ability. So versatile and a wonderful player to watch. Tailor-made for a Guardiola type of coach that likes to challenge his players and experiment different positions on the pitch with them.

It's a shame Alaba does not like to play at LB. Even when he was a teen, you would read stories about him wanting to play further forward, in the middle of the pitch, so you can't help but believe they are true. I understand him too. The fullback position is the least prestigious role of all outfield players. And he has a point of being capable of playing further forward, since he is clever and he does possess fine technique.

I always wonder why fullbacks don't take pride in shutting down the opponent's best players. Seeing as most of nowadays' stars are wingers it baffles me that one wouldn't love to go against them game in, game out and put his mark on the game by completely destroying a team's main threat. That's one of the things I loved about Ash. He competed with the best of the best and neutralized everyone and everything coming down his flank during his prime.

I always wonder why fullbacks don't take pride in shutting down the opponent's best players. Seeing as most of nowadays' stars are wingers it baffles me that one wouldn't love to go against them game in, game out and put his mark on the game by completely destroying a team's main threat. That's one of the things I loved about Ash. He competed with the best of the best and neutralized everyone and everything coming down his flank during his prime.

Ash is the GOAT fullback