Filipe Luís

Jase

You clearly don't rate Luis very highly but that doesn't mean others don't. Simeone clearly did and so Real Madrid's assistant head coach:

The 'best player' in the team that so nearly won both La Liga and the CL was (according to you) maybe in the 'top 10 or something' of best FBs in the world and is now not even in contention?

So that ONE quote is supposed to prove it? I can post a quote by Jose saying that we signed him because we wanted an experienced squad player and say "would the best LB in the world be signed to be a squad player?". And since when is top 10 in the world in a position an insult?!

Seriously, though, did anyone seriously think he was the best in the world last season? I certainly didn't hear anyone saying that until we closed in on signing him and people started saying it to try to justify the high fee. Certainly no one was mentioning him with the best in the world 2 seasons ago. Would any non-Chelsea fan seriously put him in the top 5? 10?

On any account, Atletico's success was/is down to the system and not superstars. No one in that team that won La Liga would be considered in the best 2-3 in the world in their position except Costa. Miranda was hyped a bit last season but the general opinion about him is back to normal now.

I do rate Luis highly. I think he's an excellent experienced player with great technique, but the best in the world? Not even close.

I do rate Luis highly. I think he's an excellent experienced player with great technique, but the best in the world? Not even close.

Who is the best LB in the world?Azpilicueta?

When it comes to defending,yes Dave is the best LB,but clearly he lacks in other ares like going forward.

Filipe is overall the best LB in the world because he knows how to defend(maybe not as much as Dave),but he is great at going forward,which makes him the perfect LB.

I do not know any other great LB that is overall better than Luis.There are some that are better at going forward(Marcelo for example),but they do lack in defensive stability,so Luis is still the overall better defender

Who is the best LB in the world?Azpilicueta?

When it comes to defending,yes Dave is the best LB,but clearly he lacks in other ares like going forward.

Filipe is overall the best LB in the world because he knows how to defend(maybe not as much as Dave),but he is great at going forward,which makes him the perfect LB.

I do not know any other great LB that is overall better than Luis.There are some that are better at going forward(Marcelo for example),but they do lack in defensive stability,so Luis is still the overall better defender

For me the best in the world are probably Alba and Marcelo. But I can name many LBs that are better than Luis like Rodriguez, Kolarov, Coentrao...etc.

Like I said, Luis is an excellent LB, but just not in the same league as the best in the world and it seems that only a few of our fans see him in that league.

So that ONE quote is supposed to prove it? I can post a quote by Jose saying that we signed him because we wanted an experienced squad player and say "would the best LB in the world be signed to be a squad player?". And since when is top 10 in the world in a position an insult?!

Seriously, though, did anyone seriously think he was the best in the world last season? I certainly didn't hear anyone saying that until we closed in on signing him and people started saying it to try to justify the high fee. Certainly no one was mentioning him with the best in the world 2 seasons ago. Would any non-Chelsea fan seriously put him in the top 5? 10?

The quote is meant to show how highly Luis was rated by people who regularly watched and analysed Atletico. Sure there was not much hype around him before last season or even before Atleti had won La Liga but neither was there about the likes of Simeone, Courtois, Godin and Koke. It takes a season like their last for a defender in particular (especially one who isn't the flashiest) to become truly noticed and widely rated when at a club like Atletico.

On any account, Atletico's success was/is down to the system and not superstars. No one in that team that won La Liga would be considered in the best 2-3 in the world in their position except Costa. Miranda was hyped a bit last season but the general opinion about him is back to normal now.

Courtois, Godin, Luis, Costa.

For me the best in the world are probably Alba and Marcelo. But I can name many LBs that are better than Luis like Rodriguez, Kolarov, Coentrao...etc.

Like I said, Luis is an excellent LB, but just not in the same league as the best in the world and it seems that only a few of our fans see him in that league.

Marcelo is good but he's certainly not best in the world, he offensive abilities are quite good but he's a suspect defensively. Kolarov is better than Luis?

What are you smoking bro? Conetrao is good but you can't say he's better than Luis. Rodriguez is good I agree, but he's also more attack minded.

Filipe is the most balanced LB I'd say equally good at defending and attacking, his crosses are pretty good too. I'd take him as top 3 in the world in his position.

The quote is meant to show how highly Luis was rated by people who regularly watched and analysed Atletico. Sure there was not much hype around him before last season or even before Atleti had won La Liga but neither was there about the likes of Simeone, Courtois, Godin and Koke. It takes a season like their last for a defender in particular (especially one who isn't the flashiest) to become truly noticed and widely rated when at a club like Atletico.

Courtois, Godin, Luis, Costa (and Simeone in terms of managers).

Realistically Courtois and Costa only. Godin, same as Luis is realistically an excellent player but just not in the same league as the best in the world. No one mentioned him as so two seasons ago and very few says so now.

It took a season where the whole team overachieved like last season for them to get overhyped.

Alba? Kolarov? Rodriguez? C'mon man. No way.

In what is Luis exactly better than any of them? All of them much better than Luis offensively and about on the same level defensively.

Marcelo is good but he's certainly not best in the world, he offensive abilities are quite good but he's a suspect defensively. Kolarov is better than Luis?

What are you smoking bro? Conetrao is good but you can't say he's better than Luis. Rodriguez is good I agree, but he's also more attack minded.

Filipe is the most balanced LB I'd say equally good at defending and attacking, his crosses are pretty good too. I'd take him as top 3 in the world in his position.

Maybe last season, but this season Luis has made defensive mistakes on a regular basis and has proven to physically not to be the best in the world, imo.

Choulo, you did not. R. Rodriguez is brilliant, but Coentrao? Kolarov? Kolarov?? Wow. I wonder who else is on that list. Clichy? Gibbs? Schmelzer? Evra?

Choulo, you did not. R. Rodriguez is brilliant, but Coentrao? Kolarov? Kolarov?? Wow. I wonder who else is on that list. Clichy? Gibbs? Schmelzer? Evra?

Kolarov is one of the best technical fullbacks I've seen and for me the best crosser. Maybe not as good defensively as Luis but certainly offers a lot more in attack.

If you're talking about the best LB in the world and you don't mention the name Alaba we better stop discussing.

Lol I honestly wrote it down with Alba and Marcelo but then erased it because he's been playing mostly in midfield.

Realistically Courtois and Costa only. Godin, same as Luis is realistically an excellent player but just not in the same league as the best in the world. No one mentioned him as so two seasons ago and very few says so now.

It took a season where the whole team overachieved like last season for them to get overhyped.

In what is Luis exactly better than any of them? All of them much better than Luis offensively and about on the same level defensively.

I get the feeling you didn't watch Atletico play last season

I get the feeling you didn't watch Atletico play last season

I did, and as I said he was one of the best in the world. Not the best, but certainly in the top LBs in the world.

Now let me ask you, have you not been watching Luis this season?

Kolarov is one of the best technical fullbacks I've seen and for me the best crosser. Maybe not as good defensively as Luis but certainly offers a lot more in attack.

Lol I honestly wrote it down with Alba and Marcelo but then erased it because he's been playing mostly in midfield.

Really? Kolarov is more of a wingback. He has has a fantastic left foot when it comes to his crossing and FK taking. But his ball control, dribbling, passing is not that good imo. Neither do I rate his ability to keep the ball under pressure. Luis is better on the ball imo. And he's slow and sluggish, I don't understand how that is still accepted of a fullback in football today.

You obviously don't rate Luis much. I guess that's fair, it's your opinion.