Filipe Luís

Jase

I think people underestimate how good Luis is at helping dictate the tempo of a game. I feel really sorry for him because in Atleti's system he was IMO the best LB in the world but he is clearly not rated here. Atleti apparently made big financial strides in an attempt to keep him at the club because Simeone recognised his importance to the team (they're having difficulties in that position this season) but he joined us anyway only to find out that Mourinho doesn't seem to appreciate his qualities. Against PSG we clearly needed more intensity, more control, more attacking impetus, more width and he could potentially have been the perfect substitute but he probably wasn't even told to warm up. For his sake I hope he goes back next season to play at the top level while he's still in his peak.

I don't understand the need to splash 20M or so in a 28/9 year old in his peak if you're not going to play him. I understand the imprtance of Azpi denfending, kind of releases Hazard from defending as much (which I don't agree, he's basically a 2nd left back at times) but if he's going to be a full time starter, might as well have a cheaper option to back him up, no?

I'm still hoping to see him and Hazard connecting down that left flank...

I think people underestimate how good Luis is at helping dictate the tempo of a game. I feel really sorry for him because in Atleti's system he was IMO the best LB in the world but he is clearly not rated here. Atleti apparently made big financial strides in an attempt to keep him at the club because Simeone recognised his importance to the team (they're having difficulties in that position this season) but he joined us anyway only to find out that Mourinho doesn't seem to appreciate his qualities. Against PSG we clearly needed more intensity, more control, more attacking impetus, more width and he could potentially have been the perfect substitute but he probably wasn't even told to warm up. For his sake I hope he goes back next season to play at the top level while he's still in his peak.

Don't even get me started on this one, Chels. Yet another laughable tactical decision from Mourinho. I wonder what he had to fear on that left side from a PSG side without the super fast Lucas Moura and Marquinhos as right back. Everybody knows Hazard is almost unstoppable when he has a fullback who makes overlapping runs to play off of. Everybody knows how good Luis is going forward and how PSG were going to try and double mark Hazard. Everybody knows Azpilicueta is right footed, so he has to check back to his stronger foot to either get a cross in or sometimes even make a forward pass. The split extra second he does that slows our tempo down. Everybody knows these things, including Mourinho, but because he's such a laughably defensively minded manager, he did nothing.

I almost burst out laughing when I saw Azpilicueta trying to make overlapping runs when we needed a goal, but then checking back on his right foot or then not driving all the way to the by-line because he is not comfortable there. Azpilicueta has no business playing on the wrong flank when Filipe Luis is in our squad.

I don't understand the need to splash 20M or so in a 28/9 year old in his peak if you're not going to play him. I understand the imprtance of Azpi denfending, kind of releases Hazard from defending as much (which I don't agree, he's basically a 2nd left back at times) but if he's going to be a full time starter, might as well have a cheaper option to back him up, no?

I'm still hoping to see him and Hazard connecting down that left flank...

Ainsley, I like you, but I have to disagree partly with that.

Hazard is at his best when he has Filipe Luis next to him, not when he has Azpilicueta next to him. The way people make it seem (not you, Ainsley) as if Azpilicueta is the second coming of Maldini and Filipe Luis is Danny Rose is funny. As if Luis is this child who needs to be taught defense, when infact he was heralded as the best left back in the world when we signed him .

Don't even get me started on this one, Chels. Yet another laughable tactical decision from Mourinho. I wonder what he had to fear on that left side from a PSG side without the super fast Lucas Moura and Marquinhos as right back. Everybody knows Hazard is almost unstoppable when he has a fullback who makes overlapping runs to play off of. Everybody knows how good Luis is going forward and how PSG were going to try and double mark Hazard. Everybody knows Azpilicueta is right footed, so he has to check back to his stronger foot to either get a cross in or sometimes even make a forward pass. The split extra second he does that slows our tempo down. Everybody knows these things, including Mourinho, but because he's such a laughably defensively minded manager, he did nothing.

I almost burst out laughing when I saw Azpilicueta trying to make overlapping runs when we needed a goal, but then checking back on his right foot or then not driving all the way to the by-line because he is not comfortable there. Azpilicueta has no business playing on the wrong flank when Filipe Luis is in our squad.

I've begrudgingly come to accept that Jose will never consider him a starter but I can't accept the reluctance to bring him on when we're clearly losing control of the game. I really like Azpi but if he's doing poorly defensively then he becomes almost useless on that flank whereas Luis can offer so many more possibilities to the team tactically. He always presses with great intensity and that may have encouraged the other players to up their tempo too which was so desperately needed.

Ainsley, I like you, but I have to disagree partly with that.

Hazard is at his best when he has Filipe Luis next to him, not when he has Azpilicueta next to him. The way people make it seem (not you, Ainsley) as if Azpilicueta is the second coming of Maldini and Filipe Luis is Danny Rose is funny. As if Luis is this child who needs to be taught defense, when infact he was heralded as the best left back in the world when we signed him .

I meant it as in José plays Azpi because he trusts him more for defensive duties than Luís, who imo is more than good enough defending, but much better than the spaniard going forward. I want Hazard and Luís down the left too, will help us a bit with our offensive struggles. Or so I hope, lol.

Not to mention PSG wasted the last 5 minutes of the ET, because Azi was conceding throw ins all the time. Don't forget all of the PSG goals started in our left back...

I can't believe that we didn't utilize this guy yesterday. He's monster at intelligent pressing, he position himself very well, has very good technique, pass, can keep the ball under pressure and make overlapping runs. FFS he was solution to many problems, pressing, counter-attacking, positional attack with overlapping, keeping the ball under pressure ... After Ibra was sent off, what we needed to do is to attack them and finish them off. Remember when Mourinho brought on Modric at Old Trafford 2 years ago minute after Nani saw red ? That was fantastic move and paid dividends immediately. For our unlucky, we didn't need to score so we remain "compact and safe" and didn't react to situation. Poor, poor us ...

And after Oscar went off we needed another presser. If Mourinho really went for a win like he said on Tuesday, he would take off Ivanovic and put Azpilicueta on the right and Luis on the left. We would be so good at pressing with two proper, athletic full-backs who can press relentlessly. However, Ivanovic has something on Mourinho, don't know what it is, so bringing Ivanovic off wasn't an option. And in my eyes neither was pressing juggernaut in Azpilicueta. So we remained still ... For Luis though, he can keep his head up, because he didn't take part in this shambles. But what's next for him ? He plays very, very good since January, doesn't put a foot wrong and is simply a brilliant ATHLETIC full-back, who can PRESS. Unfortunately, Ivanovic is welded to his position regardless of anything so he only can interchange with Azpilicueta ... And i really don't want to lose Azpilicueta, those pressing ability and character.

I don't know really. He would only slot here when Ivanovic gets old. That's sick reality. But they're about the same age so he will be after his peak.

He must be regreting coming here in the first place and it is a shame Mourinho couldn't keep his word on him. Remember Filipe's interview on why he chose to come here? He said that he told Mourinho that his biggest wish is to win Champions League and Mourinho convinced him to come here by promising he will make him a Champions League winner. Ok then, so why don't you let him play in a competition he is so eager to win and you would be 100% sure that he will give his best? Why waste such a quality full back on the bench? He is everything you want from a left back, one of the most complete in world football, still he can't make it into the first team because Jose does not have the balls to drop one of his favourites.

He should start every single game from now until the end of the season. If you can't trust him, then sell him, recoup some of the money and let him enjoy his football.