Filipe Luís

Jase

Maicon was some sort of freak under Jose Mourinho at Inter. Pace, strength, technicality, agression and defensive finesse. I doubt Filipe Luis can replicate that though, he is just lacking in those physical characteristics that Douglas Maicon was blessed with.

Mourinho is a very flexible manager. He always has the right balance of defence and attack. I feel the media exaggerates Mourinho's favouritism towards defence and a lot of people buy into it. We will probably see Filipe bomb foward and get stuck in during some games and defend first and foremost in others.

Well we are doomed if both Luis and Azpi wont attack. We need at least one attacking full back for flowing attack and Hazard will benefit from that too. If Luis cant go forward or Mou tells him to stay back I will be pissed.

Im not convinced he's taken the job from Azpilicueta to be honest.

My sentiments exactly. He hasn't really been influential enough to disrupt what was the best back four in the league. looks more like a cover guy if you ask me.

Both Maicon and Marcelo had their attacking attributes massively exploited by Mourinho. Marcelo participated in almost all Real Madrid counter-attacks and there were some games where one could even mistake him for a second winger. And this happened even in games where the strategy was supposedly to park the bus.

In this video, for example, you can see just how high Marcelo played on the field even against top teams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OwoTDcNkpY

It doesn't matter how many UEFA badges you have. You're claiming Mourinho "refuses to give his full-backs attacking roles" when everything about Jose's history as a manager shows exactly the opposite. So I repeat, on this particular matter, you DON'T know what you're talking about. Period.

Because Wayne Bridge, Ashley Cole, Paulo Ferreira, Khalid Boulahrouz, Branislav Ivanovic and Cesar Azpilicueta have all been really attacking full-backs that spend more time in the opposition half then their own, right? You're citing two exceptions to the rule and claiming your opinion is gospel. Period.

My sentiments exactly. He hasn't really been influential enough to disrupt what was the best back four in the league. looks more like a cover guy if you ask me.

Why would we spend £16m on a 29-year-old left back coming from probably the best team in Europe just for him to be a squad player? His best qualities in my opinion are his pressing and tackling which he had a lot of success with at Atletico as they pressed in groups. I think that would be a good tactic to employ here. It must be frustrating for him that he now has to do it alone and that nobody properly covers him when he goes forward.

We did not spend over £15m on him to be a back up/rotation. The first game or so Mourinho might go with his normal back 4 but gradually, Luis will definitely be the number 1 left back for sure. It is an area of the team we needed to strengthen despite Azpi's excellent performances in that position last season.

Influential in what way? He does not have to prove anything against Pellets and Ferencvaros, he is coming at the club as one of the best left-backs in the world. That's enough to make him a regular starter. You don't buy this kind of player just to have him as a back-up for a right back playing out of his natural position. If Mourinho wanted Azpilicueta to stay at the left-back, then he would have looked for another right-back, not for Shaw or Filipe Luis.

Because Wayne Bridge, Ashley Cole, Paulo Ferreira, Khalid Boulahrouz, Branislav Ivanovic and Cesar Azpilicueta have all been really attacking full-backs that spend more time in the opposition half then their own, right? You're citing two exceptions to the rule and claiming your opinion is gospel. Period.

You're trying too hard bro. Here is what you said:

We could sign the world's most attacking full-backs (Dani Alves and Marcelo, for instance), and Mourinho wouldn't let them cross the half-way line.

1. This statement is absolutely ridiculous, no matter which way you put it.

2. First you say Mourinho wouldn't put a player like Marcelo attacking, then, when people point out how much ridiculous that is, considering Marcelo was an attacking beast under Jose, you claim he was actually just an exception.

3. Cahill was never expected to attack, considering the position he had to play in and Ivanovic is not known for his attacking attributes. Which means the fact remains the same: When Jose has a defender that has the ability to attack effectively (e.g. Marcelo and Maicon), he embraces it and makes the best of it. If he made use of Marcelo and Maicon's attacking skills, there's no reason to believe he won't make use of Luis'.

You're trying too hard bro. Here is what you said:

1. This statement is absolutely ridiculous, no matter which way you put it.

2. First you say Mourinho wouldn't put a player like Marcelo attacking, then, when people point out how much ridiculous that is, considering Marcelo was an attacking beast under Jose, you claim he was actually just an exception.

3. Cahill was never expected to attack, considering the position he had to play in and Ivanovic is not known for his attacking attributes. Which means the fact remains the same: When Jose has a defender that has the ability to attack effectively (e.g. Marcelo and Maicon), he embraces it and makes the best of it. If he made use of Marcelo and Maicon's attacking skills, there's no reason to believe he won't make use of Luis'.

We'll see. I think that with more defensive discipline in the side, there will be more licence for the likes of Hazard and Willian to express themselves offensively.

Why would we spend £16m on a 29-year-old left back coming from probably the best team in Europe just for him to be a squad player? His best qualities in my opinion are his pressing and tackling which he had a lot of success with at Atletico as they pressed in groups. I think that would be a good tactic to employ here. It must be frustrating for him that he now has to do it alone and that nobody properly covers him when he goes forward.

Why? Because Jose likes experience on his bench that's why! You guys make it sound like 16m and 29 is a lot and old... It's good for competition but as of right now Luis ain't any better than Azpi and ivanovic.

We did not spend over £15m on him to be a back up/rotation. The first game or so Mourinho might go with his normal back 4 but gradually, Luis will definitely be the number 1 left back for sure. It is an area of the team we needed to strengthen despite Azpi's excellent performances in that position last season.

He'll have to outperform him to win the shirt, it won't be given to him.

Influential in what way? He does not have to prove anything against Pellets and Ferencvaros, he is coming at the club as one of the best left-backs in the world. That's enough to make him a regular starter. You don't buy this kind of player just to have him as a back-up for a right back playing out of his natural position. If Mourinho wanted Azpilicueta to stay at the left-back, then he would have looked for another right-back, not for Shaw or Filipe Luis.

He isn't going to be handed the shirt. You think ivanovic and Azpi who made up half of the best back 4 in England aren't going to fight for the spot? He will have to out perform one of them and to be honest with you I haven't seen any evidence to suggest he's better than either of them at this point. If he's the best in his position his quality should come to the fore and I don't know what you guys are seeing but in my opinion he hasn't looked much of an upgrade.

I don't carry favourites, I call it like I see it. If you we're to ask me at the time of the signing if I thought Luis would start I'd say yes, having seen him in preseason my opinion has changed. He hasn't been bad, he just hasn't been better than what we already have.

Why? Because Jose likes experience on his bench that's why! You guys make it sound like 16m and 29 is a lot and old... It's good for competition but as of right now Luis ain't any better than Azpi and ivanovic.

As of right now it's far too early to judge. Personally I really like Luis and think he adds a lot of balance but I reckon we'll start wit Azpi and Ivanovic.

He's a great addition though and I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start the majority of games this season.