Filipe Luís

Jase

As of right now it's far too early to judge. Personally I really like Luis and think he adds a lot of balance but I reckon we'll start wit Azpi and Ivanovic.

He's a great addition though and I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start the majority of games this season.

Of course it's early but like I've been saying he hasn't done enough at this stage to supplant one of ivanovic or Azpi. He's been adequate at best and def not exceptional, if he does eventually supplant one of them it's because he will put in better performances than them. At current I don't think you can say he has.

Of course it's early but like I've been saying he hasn't done enough at this stage to supplant one of ivanovic or Azpi. He's been adequate at best and def not exceptional, if he does eventually supplant one of them it's because he will put in better performances than them. At current I don't think you can say he has.

You're putting too much stock into pre season performances then. If you watched him for Atletico regularly over the last season or two you'd easily know he's one of the best in his position in the world. To me I have no doubt he'll start as our starting LB this season.

You're putting too much stock into pre season performances then. If you watched him for Atletico regularly over the last season or two you'd easily know he's one of the best in his position in the world. To me I have no doubt he'll start as our starting LB this season.

I think you're putting too little stock in preseason. You have to win the shirt in that time or you sit on the bench until otherwise proven. I'm willing to bet good money Azpi and ivanovic start at left and right back at burnley away and it's not because he's new, it's because he hasn't shown he is better. Cesc and costa will easily start.

It's true that he looked a bit shaky, unsure and perhaps overeager with his crosses at times in some games this preseason, but it's just preseason and his teammates and the way we play are unfamiliar to him. He's a class player. Though it's undeniable that our other new signings seem to be adapting to the team much faster than him, Luis might just need more time. It's different for everyone.

It's true that he looked a bit shaky, unsure and perhaps overeager with his crosses at times in some games this preseason, but it's just preseason and his teammates and the way we play are unfamiliar to him. He's a class player. Though it's undeniable that our other new signings seem to be adapting to the team much faster than him, Luis might just need more time. It's different for everyone.

I think people are underestimating how solid a back four we were last year. It will take some doing to win a shirt from one of these guys! And yes the operative phrase here is WIN! Nothing will be given to you, Jose doesn't care how old he is or that he paid 16m for him. If he doesn't outperform Azpi or ivanovic he will be our high quality cover guy. Simple.

I think people are underestimating how solid a back four we were last year. It will take some doing to win a shirt from one of these guys!

They were solid because the 6 players ahead of them were asked to run and press for 90 minutes to the detriment of the attacking side of our game. Even an average defender like Cahill when protected well enough will look good.

And yes the operative phrase here is WIN! Nothing will be given to you, Jose doesn't care how old he is or that he paid 16m for him. If he doesn't outperform Azpi or ivanovic he will be our high quality cover guy. Simple.

I find it hard to believe Mourinho* would buy a 29 year-old LB for 16m and not give him every chance to perform. It would be pretty stupid of him, and would go down as one of our worst transfers in recent years if he ends up playing behind Azpi.

*And this is absolutely a Mourinho buy, although I'm sure Emenalo will get the blame if things don't work out.

They were solid because the 6 players ahead of them were asked to run and press for 90 minutes to the detriment of the attacking side of our game. Even an average defender like Cahill when protected well enough will look good.

I find it hard to believe Mourinho* would buy a 29 year-old LB for 16m and not give him every chance to perform. It would be pretty stupid of him, and would go down as one of our worst transfers in recent years if he ends up playing behind Azpi.

*And this is absolutely a Mourinho buy, although I'm sure Emenalo will get the blame if things don't work out.

16m isn't a lot of money these days. You pay for quality and he has that he just hasn't proven to be better than we already have... He may well do it in time but on current form he hasn't done enough to best one of brana or Azpi.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting a veteran to cover for a player of the year. You guys make it sound like 16m is a fortune. How much did we pay for Zhirkov when we had the best left back in the world, Ashley Cole?

I think you're putting too little stock in preseason. You have to win the shirt in that time or you sit on the bench until otherwise proven. I'm willing to bet good money Azpi and ivanovic start at left and right back at burnley away and it's not because he's new, it's because he hasn't shown he is better. Cesc and costa will easily start.

Since you're bringing last season into it now... Luis showed last season that he was one of the best in the world in his position, in a system that was very similar to ours and surely Jose will take that into account. Jose won't go picking his team solely based on pre season performances. If that were the case, surely Azpi wouldn't have his starting spot so solidified either because he hasn't done anything spectacular in pre season, and has also had less training time than Luis.

As I said before, I'm very certain Luis will be our starting left back at least at the beginning of the season. Not only because he's our best natural left back, but also because he's had a better, longer pre season than Azpi.

Since you're bringing last season into it now... Luis showed last season that he was one of the best in the world in his position, in a system that was very similar to ours and surely Jose will take that into account. Jose won't go picking his team solely based on pre season performances. If that were the case, surely Azpi wouldn't have his starting spot so solidified either because he hasn't done anything spectacular in pre season, and has also had less training time than Luis.

As I said before, I'm very certain Luis will be our starting left back at least at the beginning of the season. Not only because he's our best natural left back, but also because he's had a better, longer pre season than Azpi.

Until he does it for us he will be off the bench guaranteed.

Azpi had earned Jose's trust, Luis hasn't. You will see, Burnley away Azpi and Brana will start. Until Luis shows the quality that made him 'the best left back' he will be off the bench.

Jose is loyal to his warriors, it's a big reason why he is so loved. Azpi didn't play a foot wrong last season he needs to be challenged and it will come from Luis. He hasn't yet taken the jersey from Cesar and will come off the bench.

The way some people talk you'd think we've re-signed Del Horno.

You say this but that is exactly what I'm reminded of, started pre-season well/nothing too bright/tiny bit shaky and then..........................and then....................:-(

He isn't going to be handed the shirt. You think ivanovic and Azpi who made up half of the best back 4 in England aren't going to fight for the spot? He will have to out perform one of them and to be honest with you I haven't seen any evidence to suggest he's better than either of them at this point. If he's the best in his position his quality should come to the fore and I don't know what you guys are seeing but in my opinion he hasn't looked much of an upgrade.

I don't carry favourites, I call it like I see it. If you we're to ask me at the time of the signing if I thought Luis would start I'd say yes, having seen him in preseason my opinion has changed. He hasn't been bad, he just hasn't been better than what we already have.

The thing is you are comparing Filipe's pre-season with Azpilicueta's last season and that's wrong.

You forget that Filipe was part of one of the best defences in Europe, too. Atletico have only allowed 26 goals in La Liga last season (compared with Chelsea's 27). Also they were undefeated in Champions League in regular time, allowing only seven goals in regular time (plus three in ET), compared to Chelsea's 10.

So yes, the fact that he hasn't assisted or scored against Pellets and Ferencvaros does not change anything about his role this season. Pre-season is all about fitness. Kids like Baker, Zouma, Chalobah, Ake have something to prove in a pre-season, not Filipe. You are basically saying that even if Messi would sign for this club, he'd still have to prove himself against Pellets.

The thing is you are comparing Filipe's pre-season with Azpilicueta's last season and that's wrong.

Why is that wrong? You think the shirt is gonna be handed to him when Azpi didn't play a foot wrong last year? You think Jose trusts Luis the same way he trusts Azpi? I certainly don't, he needs to earn it and right now there isn't any clear indication that he deserves to start over Azpi. I'm looking at what I've seen on the pitch, not age, price or what you guys think this team needs. I don't carry any bias for any Chelsea player, if he performs well I have no trouble acknowledging him

You forget that Filipe was part of one of the best defences in Europe, too. Atletico have only allowed 26 goals in La Liga last season (compared with Chelsea's 27). Also they were undefeated in Champions League in regular time, allowing only seven goals in regular time (plus three in ET), compared to Chelsea's 10.

until he shows that sort of quality for us he will be on the bench. What Azpi did for us last season carries more weight than what Luis did for Atletico.

So yes, the fact that he hasn't assisted or scored against Pellets and Ferencvaros does not change anything about his role this season. Pre-season is all about fitness. Kids like Baker, Zouma, Chalobah, Ake have something to prove in a pre-season, not Filipe. You are basically saying that even if Messi would sign for this club, he'd still have to prove himself against Pellets.

It's about fitness for people who have locked in a job in the starting xi. For the others it's competition. Hazard, Terry, Costa, Fab and maybe Cahill have locked in their jobs based on being exceptional( Cahill mainly as the partnership) Oscar, willian, schurrle, Azpi, brana Luis, courtois, Cech, Ramires are fighting for a berth in the side. Nothing is given, it's earned when you speak of a mourinho team. Luis is bought to provide adequate competition at the lb spot. He isn't going to be given the shirt because he's 29 and we paid 16m for him.

Until he does it for us he will be off the bench guaranteed.

Azpi had earned Jose's trust, Luis hasn't. You will see, Burnley away Azpi and Brana will start. Until Luis shows the quality that made him 'the best left back' he will be off the bench.

Jose is loyal to his warriors, it's a big reason why he is so loved. Azpi didn't play a foot wrong last season he needs to be challenged and it will come from Luis. He hasn't yet taken the jersey from Cesar and will come off the bench.

He has. He has watched him play and had numerous reports of how good he has been for the last few seasons in Spain. He probably was the best LB in Europe last season. That alone is enough to win Mourinho's trust and that is why he bought him for the particular fee. I can see Luis possibly being on the bench for the first game but sooner rather than later he will become the undisputed starting LB. I am sure of it.

He has. He has watched him play and had numerous reports of how good he has been for the last few seasons in Spain. He probably was the best LB in Europe last season. That alone is enough to win Mourinho's trust and that is why he bought him for the particular fee. I can see Luis possibly being on the bench for the first game but sooner rather than later he will become the undisputed starting LB. I am sure of it.

Lol... Two-time Chelsea player of the year says hi.

Until Jose works with an individual closely they won't have his trust. He's just been good enough to be purchased, now he has to work to beat out Azpi or Brana.