Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

Weird. When he was here the consensus was that he wouldn't be able to make it here because he's not good enough offensively.

Apart from one match against Shakhtar when RDM left him isolated against Srna and whoever their right winger was, he has never not looked solid from a defensive point of view.

Got to agree. I remember when Cole was injured for periods under Rafa and Bertrand did very well defensively. In fact I don't think we missed Cole at all when he was out. I doubt he can reach prime Cole-level LB but I think he can be a very decent choice. However, it seems that Mourinho doesn't rate him so I think it's best that he goes elsewhere for his own career.

I see Ryan as an attacking fullback which would already rule him out with Jose.

Quite frankly though he just isn't good enough to start for a top club. He's a good player with loads of pace, but just not at the level required. Being 24 kinda nails it too - should sell him so he can make a career elsewhere.

I would really like it if those that said Bertrand doesn't have the quality or is not the required level to play for us, can actually pin-point exactly why he can't play for us at all (taking out the factor whether Mourinho fancies him or not) and expand on it. Seen too often people throw that around without explaining in detail and just because he isn't some fanciful left-back. Attacking wise he's decent and like Choo Choo said above, Bertrand has never looked out of place defensively when playing for us apart from the Shakhtar game where he was left to defend that left flank all by himself.

Weird. When he was here the consensus was that he wouldn't be able to make it here because he's not good enough offensively.

Apart from one match against Shakhtar when RDM left him isolated against Srna and whoever their right winger was, he has never not looked solid from a defensive point of view.

If I remember correctly, Ryan has been employed a lot more times as a left winger than left-back for us.

I would really like it if those that said Bertrand doesn't have the quality or is not the required level to play for us, can actually pin-point exactly why he can't play for us at all (taking out the factor whether Mourinho fancies him or not) and expand on it. Seen too often people throw that around without explaining in detail and just because he isn't some fanciful left-back. Attacking wise he's decent and like Choo Choo said above, Bertrand has never looked out of place defensively when playing for us apart from the Shakhtar game where he was left to defend that left flank all by himself.

He can't defend to save his life; has poor overall technique, showcased by his average passing. His crossing wasn't that great, which is just another consequence of his poor technique.

When a player is not good enough it almost always comes down to technique. Pace, power, can give the player an edge, but can't possibly be enough at this level.

Once again, IMO he is a fine player for Southampton, but he will never be a starter for chelsea unless he massively improves his game.

To be honest I'm still surprised we didn't keep him here. Sure perhaps he wanted to be a guaranteed starter but hes English, still youngish and would have been decent for us if we got an injury at fullback. Nathan Ake looks like hes going to be used more as a left sided fullback than a center halve but still I reckon he could have done with a loan this year to keep improving as a player.

If I remember correctly, Ryan has been employed a lot more times as a left winger than left-back for us.

Incorrect. He a few games as left winger for us under RDM, almost all of which were as a sub from the bench, but he played A LOT more matches as a left back. The number of matches are not even comparable!

He can't defend to save his life; has poor overall technique, showcased by his average passing. His crossing wasn't that great, which is just another consequence of his poor technique.

I'm sorry but can't defend to save his life? :lol: Please then give examples, other than the Shakhtar game, of games in which he struggled really badly defensively and/or we conceded goals because of him.

Average passing? Compared to the other full backs we have, I don't see them possessing a more spectacular passing range than Bertrand and I don't quite recall the latter of giving the ball away oftenly because of 'average passing'.

Crossing wasn't that great? Wasn't that great means it's good at least, no? If you say that of Bertrand, then I wonder what do you think of Ivanovic or even Azpilicueta's crossing. The former, in general, is arguably the worst of the lot with his crossing.

He's a brilliant player in my opinion. As good as Gibbs, Shaw & Baines, possibly even better than all 3 but he's clearly never going to get a chance at the club. Hopefully we can get at least £10-15m for him next summer.

watching Gibbs yesterday I thought how much Ryan is ,I was always amused by the experts who thought

Baines was as good as Cole

The key question you need to ask yourself is Cole declined in 2010, since Ryan got brought into the squad he played under 5 Chelsea manager's and not one thought he was enough to replace an ageing past his prime Ash.

If Ash was up against a younger version of himself in his prime or even a Coentrao level player, he would have been fucked.

The key question you need to ask yourself is Cole declined in 2010, since Ryan got brought into the squad he played under 5 Chelsea manager's and not one thought he was enough to replace an ageing past his prime Ash.

If Ash was up against a younger version of himself in his prime or even a Coentrao level player, he would have been fucked.

AVB did. Anyway, it's incredibly difficult for any youngster when you have such a big name in front of you. Sturridge was never given a proper chance ahead of Torres by AVB, RDM or Benitez. It's always easier to go with the established name.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that Ryan could ever become as good as prime Cole, I just think he is better than he was treated by Chelsea, especially last season.

AVB did. Anyway, it's incredibly difficult for any youngster when you have such a big name in front of you. Sturridge was never given a proper chance ahead of Torres by AVB, RDM or Benitez. It's always easier to go with the established name.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that Ryan could ever become as good as prime Cole, I just think he is better than he was treated by Chelsea, especially last season.

AVB used him as sparingly as Mourinho did and also attempted to bring in Perreira.

RDM and Torres is a unique case, I doubt he had a say in it, for RDM this was his dream job, his pinnacle, Roman barely wanted him so probably gave him the condition Torres must play, RDM then probably accepted those "terms" knowing he will be sacked on the spot if he fought back. Furthermore Danny was injured during Rafas time and by then the move to scousers was as good as done.

RE the bit about established players, Rafa dropped Terry and Jose at Madrid dropped Cassilas for Lopez and Pepe for Varane, I have no doubt those two would have had the balls to make the change if they thought he could be #1 for us.

RDM and Torres is a unique case, I doubt he had a say in it, for RDM this was his dream job, his pinnacle, Roman barely wanted him so probably gave him the condition Torres must play, RDM then probably accepted those "terms" knowing he will be sacked on the spot if he fought back.

That's a perfect example of the worst nightmare become reality, if true.

It was all going so well until here.

Which one is a false statement. That he's extremely inconsistent (even his biggest fans admit this) or limited (his biggest and if we are being honest, only talking point is always about his tactical nous/defensive output and how it helps maintain the shape and balance of the team. Never about vision, passing,ability to retain possession even under pressure etc.