Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

Can't see them making it permanent, they look likely to go down and even if they stay up it's a lot for a LB

Don't forget they just sold £90m worth of players, cash is not really a problem at Soton.

I can see them staying up quite easily as well, yes they've lost some good players in Lambert, Lallana, Shaw and Lovren but honestly they've already gone and replaced half of them with equally as good players in Pelle and Tadic. Bertrand is not a bad replacement for Shaw either, and of course they'll bring in another player to replace Lovren too. They still have better players than a lot of PL teams.

Don't forget they just sold £90m worth of players, cash is not really a problem at Soton.

I can see them staying up quite easily as well, yes they've lost some good players in Lambert, Lallana, Shaw and Lovren but honestly they've already gone and replaced half of them with equally as good players in Pelle and Tadic. Bertrand is not a bad replacement for Shaw either, and of course they'll bring in another player to replace Lovren too. They still have better players than a lot of PL teams.

Yep, they just have to be better than 3 others - shouldn't be difficult for a well run club awash with money to strengthen.

• 2 weeks later...

If Hull can get 12 million out of Saints how the fuck did we fail to get something decent for Betrand from them??

He's on loan... And they can choose to buy him for £10m at the end.

And it's not like Shane Long was in a similar position like Bertrand - unwanted.

Southampton do have a young left-back called Matt Targett who is fairly well-regarded by Saints fans I know. Be harsh on Bertrand if he loses minutes to this kid.

If we sell ryan to them IF he has a good season we should try and get young matt in the deal. 5mil £ and matt would be a good deal!

If we sell ryan to them IF he has a good season we should try and get young matt in the deal. 5mil £ and matt would be a good deal!

No thanks. We have Nathan Ake who looks a very promising LB. Would rather we develop him and keep him around than go and buy other young talents. I reckon with the right development, Ake could develop into a quality LB.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anybody watching him more closely. Can't he be in here next year? Instead of giving money for another left back?

I don't think he wants to return and rightly so. He's 24 already and has every right to want to be in a team where he's the nailed on starter.

I see Ryan as an attacking fullback which would already rule him out with Jose.

Quite frankly though he just isn't good enough to start for a top club. He's a good player with loads of pace, but just not at the level required. Being 24 kinda nails it too - should sell him so he can make a career elsewhere.

I see Ryan as an attacking fullback which would already rule him out with Jose.

Quite frankly though he just isn't good enough to start for a top club. He's a good player with loads of pace, but just not at the level required. Being 24 kinda nails it too - should sell him so he can make a career elsewhere.

Weird. When he was here the consensus was that he wouldn't be able to make it here because he's not good enough offensively.

Apart from one match against Shakhtar when RDM left him isolated against Srna and whoever their right winger was, he has never not looked solid from a defensive point of view.