Official: Matic re-joins Chelsea

BlueLion.

SL Benfica have confirmed to the Portuguese stock exchange that they have accepted a €25 million bid from Chelsea for midfielder Nemanja Matic.

The Serbian midfielder, who left Stamford Bridge in 2011 to join the Lisbon-based club, is currently undergoing a medical in London - but his former club have wasted no time in releasing an official press statement confirming his sale.

At €25 million (£20.7 million), Matic represents the sort of Hollywood acquisition of José Mourinho's first reign as Chelsea boss, but with financial fairplay regulations to meet, the move will no doubt be partly-funded by Kevin de Bruyne's impending transfer to Wolfsburg for £16 million.

The transfer was formally announced shortly after 5pm British time on the official Chelsea website.

Matic has signed a five-year deal, and will wear the number 21 jersey that has been vacated by the on-loan Marko Marin.

José Mourinho had this to say: 'I am very pleased that Nemanja is returning to Chelsea. He has grown as a player in Portugal and has become a fantastic all-round midfielder. I am sure he will become a very important member of the squad and help us to achieve our ambitions'.

Matic - a full Serbian international - is likely to go straight into the squad that faces Manchester United on Sunday.

Posted Image

Click here to view the article

Really?

WTF happen to Benfica trying to hustle us?

And I thought he had a buy out clause.

How the hell we pull this of?

Whoever did it, deserves a raise!

Benfica aren't exactly financially healthy from what I've read; so maybe their hand was forced. They did make quite a tidy profit regardless.